andersh67

IP camera stopped working after POE splitter got hot

I have an IP cam which can be switched between WiFi and wired, and it is also POE. I've had it at WiFi for some time but I wanted to connect it to my POE network as I now got all my cat5 cable pulled. I tried it out with a POE splitter some weeks ago and it worked fine. When I connected it to the POE switch now I could not get it to work. When I had it on WiFi I entered the camera setup and turned WiFi off. I then connected the cat5 to the POW splitter and then the splitter to the power and network into the camera. Nothing.

I then noticed that the POE splitter got very hot, almost to the point that you could not hold it for a longer time. I disconnected it again.

I then connected the power adapter and a cat5 from the network router to the camera. No network connection. The power to the camera is working since the IR is coming on, but the network connection gets no signal at all.

What could have happened?

Did anything maybe happen to it when the splitter got hot?

By chance did you have the 12V power plugged in at the same time as the PoE?

And what will happen if u use 12 V and PoE at the same time ?

Hint: There is no POE on this camera, that's why he's using a splitter...

Nothing if the camera is not PoE and the OP is confused, after all, we don't even know what camera it is.

Nothing if the camera is not PoE and the OP is confused, after all, we don't even know what camera it is.

And if camera is PoE and u connect 12 V at the same time

what will happen ?

I have one here, after a while it melted the wires and shorted on one brand of cameras, can't speak for all.

I have a Stardot 5MP,

It's got 48V POE in, barrel 12VDC in, and biscuit block style 24AC in, all going strong at the same time, so there!

Edit:

Correction, I had a Stardot 5MP...

Err, a bit of a dumb question, but why would the camera be damaged when the POE and the external 12 volt supply are used together?

Don't the camera designers know how to diode-OR the power supplies?

Kind of curious, as I've seen this warning on several cameras, some of which I wouldn't consider to be budget models.

Err, a bit of a dumb question, but why would the camera be damaged when the POE and the external 12 volt supply are used together?

Don't the camera designers know how to diode-OR the power supplies?

Kind of curious, as I've seen this warning on several cameras, some of which I wouldn't consider to be budget models.

Ground loops and/or potential differences between grounds.

The POE spec allows for using alternate voltage sources for make-up power. Whether a given vendor has implemented this part of the spec correctly or tested it is another question entirely.

I've run a Dahua 3300C on both POE and 12Vdc for a while with no problems. I've also got a Vivotek FD8134 that the POE has died on, currently running on 12Vdc while connected to a POE port.