cachecreekcctv

What makes camera "true" day/night?

The camera itself does make the difference, regardless of whether it uses an Exview CCD or not. Exview is certainly very good in low light, perhaps the best IMO, but IR is a different thing.

Im not a CCD manufacturer so cant say for sure. Let me point you in the direction though ..

Here is something from Extreme on their LXR CCD:

http://www.extremecctv.com/products/uploads/PDF2/LXR800-Series_TS_060101.pdf

"LXR is short for the ELIXIR sensor … or Enhanced Light Integrity for Extended Infra-Red spectral response. This new generation CCD marks a quantum advance in photopic response, IR response and dynamic range. The benefits are clear: no blooming, no streaking, no smearing. The applications are extremely interesting: night vision, vehicle monitoring, high speed surveillance, license plate reading."

"These 1/2â€

Wow, so much info that I get a little weary from reading it. However, I must commend Rory for a great job he is doing in helping those of us who are users in this CCTV field.

Is there a site I could visit where there are great illustrations/sample images of different camera types i.e IR, Day/Night, 1/3". 1/2", wide angel, etc etc. Would really be good for people like me who are no-so-completely-technically-illiterate-but-not-so-technosavy-either!

I do find this field facinating and do not want to be conned by my CCTV vendors but at the same time the amount of info is so overwhelming that I do not really know how to start learning.

True Day/Night = camera + IR illumination.

So far everythng here's focussed on the camera alone

But if we're talking true d/n we cannot be operational without the IRs.

So infact of just manufacturing good cameras, the big guys should better be looking at doing solutions, like Extreme does.