Sign in to follow this  
TSHERV

Step above "Costco systems"

I'm in the process of researching a surveillance system for our business. I have the need for about 7 to 8 cameras in a manufacturing setting. I've decided to go with an IP based system (we have an internal IT resource). I'd like to get a 16 channel NVR system for future growth. I originally started out looking at the Costco type systems in the $2,000 range. I'm wondering what the next step up would (quality) be from that type of system? My budget is up to $5,000. All cameras will be indoor.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation on where to buy these type of systems in the USA? It looks like there are a lot of "mom and pop" type businesses selling products. I'm not really sure who to go with.

I've looked at the Hikvision DS-2CD2112-I cameras and have heard good things about them. I'm not really sure how to pick an NVR. Here's my criteria:

1) The ability to record at least 2 weeks of video.

2) The ability to access video from a mobile device.

3) I don't need a lot of detail in the video. I would like the ability to be able to identify an employee standing 20 yards from the camera. I don't need to be able to drill down on much detail.

If anyone has any recommendations on putting a system together myself vs. buying a prepackaged kit, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'm in the process of researching a surveillance system for our business. I have the need for about 7 to 8 cameras in a manufacturing setting. I've decided to go with an IP based system (we have an internal IT resource). I'd like to get a 16 channel NVR system for future growth. I originally started out looking at the Costco type systems in the $2,000 range. I'm wondering what the next step up would (quality) be from that type of system? My budget is up to $5,000. All cameras will be indoor.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation on where to buy these type of systems in the USA? It looks like there are a lot of "mom and pop" type businesses selling products. I'm not really sure who to go with.

I've looked at the Hikvision DS-2CD2112-I cameras and have heard good things about them. I'm not really sure how to pick an NVR. Here's my criteria:

1) The ability to record at least 2 weeks of video.

2) The ability to access video from a mobile device.

3) I don't need a lot of detail in the video. I would like the ability to be able to identify an employee standing 20 yards from the camera. I don't need to be able to drill down on much detail.

If anyone has any recommendations on putting a system together myself vs. buying a prepackaged kit, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Use Avigilon as software and HIK as cameras

Killer combo

What if I wanted to go with an all in one "appliance" instead of software and building my own server? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

There is a newish company that I have been dealing with lately, and they might be perfect for you. These guys are using Hikvision cameras branded as their own (pretty common actually), and they make nice software and appliance type NVR's that should fit the bill quite well.

Please bear in mind though, if you need an outside installer to come in and get it all hung and installed, that budget figure will be seriously challenged. If you can install and configure it internally, you should be right there in the ballpark.

Here is the link to check them out: http://www.ipvideocorp.com/products/CamerasEncoders/tabid/146/Default.aspx

The website is nothing special, but the people actually care and they are SUPER responsive to support issues, so there is a lot to be said for that.

You have an okay budget, but your needs you state are modest. You could do fine with analog, as your prerequisites read. If you don't need much out of a system, why be concerned with a 'step above' and spending big bucks? Which leads me to suggest that a Costco offering may be more than fine for what you say you need.

http://m.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD-and-16-1080p-Cameras.product.100103598.html

Throw four 4tb hard drives in it, or record lower frame rates with motion detection, and there you go. Wanting a step above but needing a step below doesn't square. You can always justify spending a bunch of money on expensive, quality equipment. But just make sure it isn't complete overkill for what your actual need is. I guess I'd be a bad salesman, lol. I'm not good at up selling just because.

Thanks for the reply. One thing I didn't like about these type of kits is the camera styles. My ideal would be to have tamper proof cameras, but it's not a deal breaker. It looks like most of the costco systems have different type of cams.

Do you feel that the Q See is a decent budget system?

To choose a NVR, you should ask yourself or your business's owner some questions like:

Do you want NVR with built-in POE switch? or External POE switch?

(Built-in POE switch means less things to plug in and manage allowing easier installation, plug and play capability, but also means you will have to home-run the cables)

If you will use the built-in POE solution, I would recommend same company for the Cameras too for best results.

Will you be only using 1.3mp or 3mp cameras?

(some entry level NVR won't handle 3mp cameras)

Will the NVR handle x amount of cameras at x amount of resolution at x amount of FPS?

(you need to find out the max bitrate the NVR can process, for example usually its a number like 20mbps for 4 channel NVR /40mbps for 8 ch/80mbps for 16 ch/160mbps for 32-64 channel )

Some people will use a 32 ch with 160Mbps to record only 10 x 3 mp cameras at highest quality and 30 FPS.

How much storage and number of hard drive do you need? Some machine can only handle 1 hard drive, while others can do more.

Q-SEE IP cameras are made by Dahua, while I have never called their tech support line, I heard not so good things about q-see support (they do have an extensive online library though). And they seem to only have good prices on bundles, you can't customize that much.

Good luck!