andyshaw01

Struggling with remote access to my CCTV system

Hi guys

I have a digiview Pro 8 channel DVR which I am able to access locally. I am struggling however with remote access.

I have signed up to a DNS with Dyn and put the settings into the DNS section of my DVR. I want to access the footage on an iPad. I have installed meyepro app and get a picture for about 2 sections on each camera before I then get a network failure message.

I'm not sure if port forwarding is necessary and I am a little concerned about changing any settings on my router.

Having checked the status of the port I am using with a port checker tool, it says port 80 is open. My ISP is Sky.

Has anyone got any suggestions of what I need to do to get a constant picture.

Thanks

Tablet and Smartphone applications normally won't use what your DVR usually refers to as the "HTTP Port" (Port 80). There's usually a separate TCP port intended for mobile applications (often called TCP Port or Media Port). That will need to be opened just like port 80 is, and you'll need to specify that port number when adding the device in the app.

If you don't want to open ports through your router, then you're SOL unless you want to make things super complicated. Port 80 is your biggest and most obvious vulnerability and if you're OK with that being open, then you should be OK with opening anything else.

I'm not sure how you're getting a picture then you're losing it, but.

On my Dahua DVR there're 4 ports in the network settings.

TCP Port 37777

UDP Port 37778

HTTP Port 80

RTSP Port 554

The Port that is used is dependent on the device that is communicating with the DVR, so it's advisable to port forward all of them in your router settings.

The one that is used for the App on my Android phone is the TCP Port, I have setup all 4 in the port fowarding settings in my router. I set them up manually, it's very easy.

I just realised that on my dvr and router there is an option to enable UPnP, this is universal plug and play, this does all the port forwarding for you and the port numbers should appear automatically in the router settings.

Have a look in your DVR network settings menu, the port numbers may not be the same if you have to enter them manually.

It is possible that your ISP is messing with your upload speed because they see that as a streaming service? There are some places where streaming on the upload is prohibited and it is shut down thru an automated service... which typically takes a few seconds to process the stream and evaluate it.

You may want to check with your ISP and see what the rules are.

Thanks guys but I am really struggling with port forwarding. As a result I have had to post on the sky site and ask for guidance and hopefully they will tell me if they have restricted streaming.

There is not an option to forward any ports in the DVR. The port fields are basically blank and I had had to populate. I used ports 5000, 5001 and 5002.

When I go into the router settings, I can't see any ports and determine whether they are open or not and there is no option to open ports. UPNP was already open and in there I have a port map table as follows

Active Protocol Int. Port Ext. Port IP Address

YES TCP 80 80 192.168.0.6

YES TCP 443 443 192.168.0.6

YES UDP 9711 9712 192.168.0.10

I can't change any of these settings and does the fact that they are listed mean they are open.

I have tried using all 4 ports in the app and no joy. I have also tried putting these ports into the DVR but no success.

just for your info to all who may need it, on my dedicated micros dvr i had to open up all the following ports for mine to work outside the internet area

so you will need to find out depending which dvr you have which extra ports requiring opening

You are not forwarding the ports in the DVR, you are forwarding them in your router to MATCH the ports in your DVR. The router will ask you what ports to forward and what IP address to forward them to... in this case that would be the IP address of your DVR.

245563_1.png

The diagram is extremely helpful. Can I just check a few things with real numbers.

My DVR ports (which I put in based on the user manual instructions as they were blank) are as follows

Media port - 5001

HTTP port - 5000

Mobile monitor port - 5002

The local IP address of my DVR is 192.168.0.123

My public IP address is 90.218.110.80

I have accessed the router settings and for inbound services only (in firewall settings) I have forwarded ports 5000 to 5002 to the DVT local IP address 192.168.0.123.

I have then used an app and have put in the public ip address 90.218.110.80. There is a port option which I have put as 5002. I have also tried 5000 and 5001 and I still get no connection.

I have also tried accessing the camera but typing into my browser the public Ip 90.218.110.80 and90.218.110.80:5002

Still not joy. I'm sure I am missing something very simple here and appreciate your patience.

Can you take a screen shot of your router page where the port forwarding is done?

Also, can you verify that your router (local) address is 192.168.0.1?

Hooray! Found this thread on this forum and can relate EXACTLY to the problem in hand. My wonder is whether the TalkTalk Huawei HG533 has an issue with Port Forwarding? Read some other posts on other sites suggesting original batches of this router had Port Forwarding issues.

Anyhow, I've setup my Digiview 4iP in exactly the same fashion, setup the above TT router with port forwarding and DDNS and have dropped MEYEPRO Android app onto my Samsung Galaxy S5. I've also got a No-IP account doing-the-do with any change in WAN IP address.

I can access the x2 cameras fine when on the internal wifi network via the App. However, when I drop the wifi connection and use 3G to remote in to see the cameras....I get a 'connection successful' message but no streamed footage.

Been scratching my head and getting VERY red eyes checking various forums for an answer. No way am I calling TT tech support. That'll be a waste of time.

Just a few pointers if anyone can help please:-

1) Apart from setting up port-forwarding on range 5000-5002, should I also have port 80 open? www.canyouseeme.org suggests that my Port 80 is NOT open. If so, pls advise appropriate settings, as having a play and trying to setup Port 80 in the Port Forwarding screen results in this message "Notice:This portmapping will modify the web server port number 80. If you want to access the web server of the router from WAN, make sure using the temporary port number 8080; the web server port will be reset to 80 after remove this policy. Are you sure to add this policy?"

2) Do I need to make any changes to the Router firewall? It's currently set as 'TalkTalk' level. Looks like I can update Firewall settings for MAC, IP, URL, Application filtering, DoS attack, ACL. I would need some pointers please if something does need amending within said router Firewall

3) I have an Openreach fibre router connected to the phone line and then the HG533 attached to that. Do I need to do anything with the Fibre router?

Thanks in advance folks. Tearing my hair out with all of this! Surely it shouldn't be this challenging!

What about what was said in post 5.

I can view my dvr images externally when port fowarding is enabled for only the tcp port, on my dvr it is port 37777 so that's what's port forwarded in the router settings.

Folks....I've nailed it!!

Appears that my HG533 router doesn't take kindly to having a Port Forwarding RANGE in a single port-forward entry.

The Digiview DVR instructions state that 5000-5002 should be opened. I've possibly misunderstood that to mean a single PORT-FORWARD setting should have the following:-

External Start Port : 5000

External End Port : 5002

I seem to have fixed things by simply setting up x3 Port Forwards (one for 5000, one for 5001 and one for 5002).

All remote access apps now work both when on internal wifi AND more importantly when on 3G.

Fingers crossed.

Hope this helps the other chap with the same kit??

Thanks

It depends on your home monitor whether the host supports remote viewing capabilities, the network function, usually a regular DVR manufacturers have this feature; if it is a video capture card, then you can not be sure whether to see if your home monitoring system is composed of a video capture card, but the manufacturer can not provide remote viewing capabilities.