raptown

Going beyond 420tvl through remote viewing? Is it worth?

Hello, I´ve installed aprox 20 Dahua dvrs with D1 inputs. I realized that even using 800tvl cameras no matter how good i set the input, image seems worst than cif quality on remote client!! In other words, there´s no difference between 420 or 800tvl...

It seems that the only way to take advantage of a medium resolution camera is watching it live locally through the DVR BNC output...not even vga. Could that be true?

The advertised lines on a camera are a but misleading. That is ONLY for live viewing. The images is still recorded at 480TVL because that is what a "standard" TV image is produced at. As for the remote view, you probably need to change your streaming settings and increase the bandwidth. Of course, if your internet connection has a very slow upload speed and your DVR is set to stream with VBR, than it will adjust and degrade the picture to allow streaming as best it can.

800 TVL camera is analog camera, which has become much cheaper and much better quality with advanced image processing tech. Old 480 TVL can not be matched.

Your DVR must have been set up for D1 sized recording or CIF sized recording which is fixed with the limited processing power of the CoDec chip in your DVR.

Remote viewing can not offer higher resolution than live previewing video's. I believe remote viewing was to be set up as CIF sized and less frame rate, in order to pass through the Network, which in general offers very small bandwidth. So remote viewing can not carry the high quality video. Check out the manual of your DVR whether you can remote view the video as good as being recorded. That's the Max you can have.

Thanks Ssnapier & SunnyKim!

So...there´s no point in installing a camera with more than 480tvl if you will be monitoring through cell phones...right?

BUT, what about recording? I am familiar with Dahua PSS (but still not sure which encoding is used in recording to hard disk). -Assuming it records with MAIN STREAM encoding in D1- then it is also waste of money to buy a 800tvl camera?

Remote viewing limits the size of video and its frame rate per second. Mostly to CIF sizes. But 800 TVL would give a better video quality, for D1 size, the regular size, just because it carries in a more advanced image processing. So, it is all up to you.