Sign in to follow this  
dvsystem

Opinions on Costco Q-See 8 Channel 720p HD 8 Cam $500 deal

wow at that price...looks like the dahua HD-CVI stuff, can't believe how cheap it is for 8 cameras.

But if you want to future proof (and IP camera prices will go down), might as well get NVR now and have cat5e cable in place.

It seems seems at this low price point for a full system, I could just go with a new NVR system in a couple of years and not really lose anything since its costs about the price of two decent cameras. It's still a tough decision to make since I really like the idea of cat 5 cams.

Thanks

2nd way is to not use the cables in the kit and run your own cat5e, then use Baluns. I heard HD-CVI will work with balun just like analog cameras...

Baluns transform the 75 omh signals from the camera into 100 omh signals (which the Cat5 needs to transmit the video) then back to 75 omhs at the 2nd balun at the DVR side and feeds into the DVR, each camera needs 1 pair of balun.

Where can you buy Balun and what does it look like??

http://www.amazon.com/PAIRS-Mini-Video-Balun-Price/dp/B007XUU6EA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1400290157&sr=8-2&keywords=balun (one of the most popular style, but other style exists including some that can transmit power)

just keep your positive and negatives in check and the color of the cat5 and you'll be set.

Also keep in mind that 4 of those cameras are only indoor rated. For me CVI was a temptation but because I'd have to take down my premade cable anyway because it's not good enough, it makes more sense to just redo everything to networking when I'm ready.

Also keep in mind that 4 of those cameras are only indoor rated. For me CVI was a temptation but because I'd have to take down my premade cable anyway because it's not good enough, it makes more sense to just redo everything to networking when I'm ready.

Great catch, I've never seen indoor rated cameras included on a bundle, guess I'm out and will wait for an good NVR deal.

2nd way is to not use the cables in the kit and run your own cat5e, then use Baluns. I heard HD-CVI will work with balun just like analog cameras...

Baluns transform the 75 omh signals from the camera into 100 omh signals (which the Cat5 needs to transmit the video) then back to 75 omhs at the 2nd balun at the DVR side and feeds into the DVR, each camera needs 1 pair of balun.

Where can you buy Balun and what does it look like??

http://www.amazon.com/PAIRS-Mini-Video-Balun-Price/dp/B007XUU6EA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1400290157&sr=8-2&keywords=balun (one of the most popular style, but other style exists including some that can transmit power)

just keep your positive and negatives in check and the color of the cat5 and you'll be set.

Very cool to know!

Thanks for the info

Does it really make sense to not just invest in an IP based system? That is a great deal but you will try and future proof which adds cost. Baluns add cost and eventually everything will be IP so spend a little more on an IP systems and be truly future proof. JS...

You can always use the old coax cables to pull new Ethernet, so I don't think it's a that big deal. If you are OK with 720P, these seem like a good deal if you need 4 indoor, 4 outdoor cameras. Just think of it like a closed system, if a camera dies you may not easily get a replacement or if you want a different camera, you may not be able to do it.