We're about to start a project where we need to have 3 cameras about 900' away from the DVR. The plan was to use Cat-5 and a balun on either end as we have done in the past, but someone mentioned Cat-6. Anyone whick is a better choice for this? Thx!

900', you're better off with RG6, otherwise Active UTP like NVT, Nitek, etc.

If using UTP at that distance, other than Fiber, the only real gaurentee you will get will be with Active UTP. Passive will be a 50% chance at half that distance and only if you are lucky, heck I had issues at 200' with half the cameras, using Passive Baluns!

Typically anything over 200' should be Active for "best image quality", Coax or UTP.

Then again Im a freak for high quality video ..

Expalin a little more Rory...

Previously we have been using Cat-5 w/ passive/active baluns depending on distance. Someone suggested Cat-6 for longer runs.

Where does UTP fit in? Aren't Cat-5 & Cat-6 both UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair). And if so, which is a better chioce for long runs?

Or is UTP separate from Cat-5/6??????

If I were you, I wouldn't use Cat6. It is not worth the hassle. It's stranded wire, not solid which makes *proper* termination much more difficult than cat5/5e. It is also very stiff and much more difficult to route than cat5/5e. My advice would be to skip it, I don't think you'll need it with 900' anyhow.

UTP is generally cat3, though there are others. You loose quality over distance, so thats where amplified video comes in. Depends on the job, but there are a ton of posts on Active vs Passive UTP ..

I get the active/passive issue, I'm just trying to decide the best wire choice to start with.

So then Cat-3 UTP is a better choice then Cat-5?

And if I have to stay with Cat-5, which is a better choice between Cat-5 & Cat5e?

& thx guys!

While I can't give you any information about using CAT-X wire for video, here the basic info on CAT3, CAT5 and CAT6:

CAT3 wire is unsheilded twisted pair (UTP) that supports transmission bandwidth up to 16MHz with a 100 ohm impedance. Nobody really uses this anymore that I know of.

CAT5 wire is unsheilded twisted pair (UTP) that supports transmission bandwidth up to 100MHz with a 100 ohm impedance. This is the stuff that most Ethernet networks use. It's also commonly run for phone lines nowadays.

CAT6 wire is unsheilded twisted pair (UTP) that supports transmission bandwidth up to 250MHz with a 100 ohm impedance. This is what most people will run if they are planning for the long term. (CAT6 has a lower insertion loss than CAT5, which is a good thing!)

CAT6 is fully backward compatible with CAT5. The cable and jacket are somewhat "stiff" compared to CAT5 and it tends to cost a bit more. Both CAT5 and CAT6 come in solid and stranded forms. Typically, you'll want to use SOLID core wire for long runs. Save the stranded stuff for patch cables.

My best guess would be to always skip CAT3, go for CAT5 most of the time and use CAT6 when you're "pushing the limits" (though I couldn't tell you what these "limits" are )

Multi Pair Bundles are typically Cat3, or lets say that for this example. Everything i looked at with 15 pairs and more, etc, were Cat3.

With a Active on one end and Passive on the other end (either way around) you can generally reach approx 3000' with Cat3.

With Active on both ends and Cat3, generally 1 Mile.

With Active on one end and Passive on other end and Cat5, generally 1 mile.

With Active on both ends and Cat5, generally 1.5 miles.

This is if you are using the NVT gear.

Passive on both ends, personally I wouldnt use it beyond a couple hundred feet as you will loose video quality from there and beyond, even with RG59 or RG6 coax.

NVT recommends no more than 750' with all passive, but really you can push it beyond that like 1000-1500', if you want to take that chance. I had horrible results with some cameras at only a couple hundred feet using Passive Baluns from several manufacturers.

Basically use Cat5 "when you can" like C7 said, otherwise Cat3 will suffice for most apps.

Rory

Edited by Guest

go cat 5 has more twist. Also definitly go active because you wont run into ground loops which passive are so commonly known for. Cat 6 is a pain.

My recommendation.

Passive Transmiiter

Active Receiver

CAt 5

Also how are you powering your camera?

Awesome info guys. Thanks!

We are powering the cables locally thank god, but we are considering adding 1 siamese RG-59/18-2 for one of the cams that's only 150' away in the same conduit. How much will having a power wire in there effect things?

And what about Cat-5 vs. Cat5e??? Which is the better choice for this?

make it 12VDC if you can, though should be okay either way, depends on waht system you are using for the twisted pair reciever, NVT, or something like that with interference rejection, ground loop isolation, etc?

As fotr cat5 or cat5e, ill wait for one of the others to answer that

CAT5 is "obsolete". CAT5e is the new "standard" (as far as CAT5 goes) for networks as it has better crosstalk performance. Since you're probably only running one signal per pulled run, this isn't likely to be an issue.

On another note, has anyone tried the combined power/video baluns (passive) from Blackbox? Looks interesting Here's a link to them:

http://www.blackbox.com/Catalog/Detail.aspx?cid=308,1558,1562&mid=4299

Havent tried them, but I know they are very common now, almost all manufacturers of Twisted Pair Transmission have some form of it. They all have limitations though, differs from one to the next, mostly distance and also type of power.

The 2500' distance for video really cracks me up though, in fact 1500 passive cracks me up .. Guess some people dont mind taking the chance or dont mind lower quality video, image glare/washout, etc.

....go cat 5 has more twist. .....

I thought the number represented the amount of twist per inch.

cat3 3 twist per inch

cat 5 5 per inch

cat 6 6 per inch.

Has anyone tryed super twist, it is CAT5 with the pairs glued and spun together, then they twist the pairs. It is a major pain to terminate becasue you have to seperate the pairs to punch down. I used it on some long data runs and it worked great.

And contrary to popular belief, the rate is not five twists per inch: The name Cat 5 is derived from the fact that it was the 5th category of wire that was sanctioned by the EIA/TIA. There is now a Cat 6 and even a Cat 7 with each step an improvement over the former.

Category 5e products are tested at 100MHz and are typically used for networks running at 10Mbps or 100Mbps. They are manufactured to higher standards and tighter tolerances than Category 5 cable. However, Category 5e performance pales in comparison with Category 6, which is tested at 250MHz and can be used for either 10/100Mbps networks or Gigabit (1000Mbps) networks. Category 6 is also more resistant to EMI than Category 5e, since it is more tightly twisted and features more twists per inch.

I know 5e will do gigabit.

All I know for sure is more twists equal better cable.

Definately out of my league on intimate knowledge of this subject at this time. Others chime in for additional information.

Ok then, with all the info here, I think this is the plan:

For 900-1000' run, I going to try Cat-5e, with a solid core. Passive transmitting Balun / Active receiving Balun.

Thx for the help. I'll post the results.