Quantum

High Rez + Low Light Mutually Exclusive?

I just don't know what to believe after researching this. This camera will be for a parking lot, so resolution is important, to try and make out license plates. And yet I need excellent low-light performance, but I read that the smaller the pixel, the less light it can gather.

I was aiming for 5Mp, but with the low-light info I've been looking at the Axis p3346v (3Mp), but I seem to remember that Axis' low-light is not good at all.

Also I read that jpeg2000 has much less loss and is clearer than H.264 or MP4 with zoom, so ideally I'd like jpeg2000, but maybe I can't have everything?

It doesn't have to be a current camera, but quality and low-light performance are very important. Of course assuming a pro install.

Suggestions? Has anyone seen how the Arecont AV3135 performs? The D4SO-AV5115v1-3312?

I just don't know what to believe after researching this. This camera will be for a parking lot, so resolution is important, to try and make out license plates. And yet I need excellent low-light performance, but I read that the smaller the pixel, the less light it can gather.

I was aiming for 5Mp, but with the low-light info I've been looking at the Axis p3346v (3Mp), but I seem to remember that Axis' low-light is not good at all.

Also I read that jpeg2000 has much less loss and is clearer than H.264 or MP4 with zoom, so ideally I'd like jpeg2000, but maybe I can't have everything?

It doesn't have to be a current camera, but quality and low-light performance are very important. Of course assuming a pro install.

Suggestions? Has anyone seen how the Arecont AV3135 performs? The D4SO-AV5115v1-3312?

How big is the parking lot? You can probably grab one or two IR illuminators and use a high res. camera and your problem is solved.

Like all camera manufactures, the 1.3MP/720P sensor provides the best low light image.

The Axis Q1602 with Lightfinder and Avigilon 1.3MP LightCatcher are two great low light cameras.

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_q1602/index.htm

http://avigilon.com/products/video-surveillance/cameras/hd-cameras/h-264-hd-cameras/1-3-mp-h-264-lightcatcher/

The Arecont AV3135 has a nice sensor, but not too many lens that fit..

The Arecont AV5115 is not a low light camera.

The improvement that pixel binning provides is marginal at best.

LowLux.JPG.3c4152cc22b0fa8376fa7206f5012772.JPG

Thanks.

Is lighting up the area preferable to a good low-light camera?

Any other cameras I should consider for low light?

Thanks.

Is lighting up the area preferable to a good low-light camera?

Any other cameras I should consider for low light?

Honestly, getting a good IR illuminator can make a crappier camera perform significantly better. You do need to be careful that the IR illuminator doesn't wash-out license plates though.

IR illuminator intensity and positioning is very important when capturing a licence plate.

Camera, lens, FOV, and shutter speed are equally important factors as well.

If you want to capture plates consistently and reliably in day or night, use a Bosch LPR camera.

They have been in the LPR business for years.

Two great entry level LPR cameras.

These are analog cameras, so a separate encoder is required for IP connection.

Bosch REG-X-816-XE

approx. $600

http://resource.boschsecurity.com/documents/Data_sheet_enUS_1732568587.pdf

Bosch VLR-4075-V521

approx. $500

http://resource.boschsecurity.com/documents/VLR_2075_Data_sheet_enUS_11271030539.pdf

A choking point is required to slow the vehicle to 50mph or less.

The LPR camera should be mounted no more than 5 feet above the ground (lower the better), face the licence plate directly, and be around 20 feet away.

You will also still require a separate colour overview camera to capture other details such as make, model, color etc.

Do a search on this forum "LPR" or "plate" for tons of feedback and reading on the topic.

The best I've seen at the ISC show was the 5MP Bosch with their Starlight technology. Same tech as they used in their popular 733 series 720P cameras last year. Funny you say the Axis P3367 because that's what they put it against. A box camera, so you need to put it in an enclosure, but priced well. I just requested one to review, we'll see what they say. The trick with plates is set the max exposure way high, maybe 120-250/sec so the scene is very dark, then the headlights won't wash out the image and the plates will be readable. What you also need is a IR illuminator pointed at the plates so the reflectivity matches up with the headlights. Last project I used a Raytec RM100-30 (cost more than the camera) and that was good for say 50-80'. The image at night won't be good for anything else as it will be very dark, but that's the magic of license plate capture. Just don't expect to do license plate recognition with that 5MP image. You best bet is to get two pointed the same direction, one exposed at night to capture action and one for capturing plates.

We use an Axis Q1604 for plate recognition (LPR) and plates come out very nice indeed, day or night. We crank it down to 4fps and VGA resolution and 720P is sort of overkill for LPR.

We have been using Avigilon's 9-22mm bullet cameras for LPR setups. Mostly 3MP WDR or 5MP cameras and they work very well with the adaptive IR and ACC's display adjustments. You can get up to around 100-125ft with the built in IR and father with external IR.

Just finished up a parking lot project with Arecont's 12MP 180 and 2 Avigilon 5MP 9-22mm bullets for LPR at the exit and extrences. Customer is very happy.

Nice. But LPR isn't the primary mission. First I've got to get blanket high-rez coverage, and the Arecont 12MP and Bosch 5MP sound promising.

Getting both general coverage and 24 hour LPR on the same camera is a challenge. You're better off having a dedicated cam for each.

I would go with a low light camera over a lot of illumination. A Raytech RM200 with a wide spread to cover a nice area is going to cost more than the camera. Here's the specs on the new camera, not even sure it's out yet as I can't find it at the distributor.

https://de.boschsecurity.com/master_product/02_products_1/st_bu_f_277305_nsode_catalog_prod_de/st_section_f_276651_nsode_catalog_prod_de/st_prodfam_p_276651_nsode_catalog_prod_de_333125

Valuable info, thanks.

buellwinkle why that huge camera rather than the NDN-733V0? or NIN-733-V0? ? (Although I think the latter is indoor) Ok higher rez and awesome DR, but any other reason? A dome seems more discreet.

(Stupid forum just banned my IP thinking I'm a spammer. Well there are ways around that)

Like all camera manufactures, the 1.3MP/720P sensor provides the best low light image.

The Axis Q1602 with Lightfinder and Avigilon 1.3MP LightCatcher are two great low light cameras.

Besides the Avigilon promo restaurant scene, are there any other Avigilon 1.3MP LightCatcher samples?

Best,

Christopher

Besides the Avigilon promo restaurant scene, are there any other Avigilon 1.3MP LightCatcher samples?

Best,

Christopher

I have installed them for customers where low light is critical and I have been impressed with the low light performance without any motion blur.

cliff369 found this..

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=38272&hilit=lightcatcher

Bit of a weird test which is quite typical of these things. The Q1604 is now almost three years old (I think) and not a light finder camera. There are better options for low light.

Low light in high megapixel cameras is not great yet but give it a couple of years and things will improve.

AXIS do light finder in up to 1080p now which is nice - but really with careful planning you rarely need higher than 1-2mp.