Sign in to follow this  
fplenin

Advice on CCTV Tester

Hi y'all

I've been considering buying a CCTV tester to save time in troubleshooting cctv systems and show very quickly to clients what they would see with certain camera in a certain place before actually installing it there.

But I have noticed that they usually won't show D1 or WD1 resolution, but a shorter resolution. I have been considering these two:

http://www.amazon.com/GadgetZone-Monitor-Security-2400mAh-Recharger/dp/B00DT0L87C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401751714&sr=8-1&keywords=cctv+tester

Resolution:480 x 640 pixels

http://www.amazon.com/RioRand-MONITOR-CAMERA-TESTER-RRLC200/dp/B005FIX5FE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1401751714&sr=8-4&keywords=cctv+tester

Resolution: 960x240 pixels

I like to work with WD1 (960x480) resolution cameras, but I'm not totally sure if using an inferior resolution tester would "distort" the field of vision or something...I know that I wont see video like using a 21.5" LED monitor, but I'm wondering if there would be any difference in what I would see when I plug it into the DVR...

I would like to hear your advices or experiences with CCTV Testers.

(I'm not looking for an expensive ptz cctv tester, because clients usually doesn't ask for PTZ cameras...)

The small 2.8"/2.5" screen will make camera lens focus adjustments difficult.

A larger screen is highly recommended.

Currently I use a 5.6" test monitor.

I have used portable dvd players and small portable tv with built-in lithium battery as well.

Thanks.

I'm not intending to focus or anything. I just want to have a clear idea of what's gonna be in my field of vision with that camera in that place.

If clients are OK with it, then I install it and adjust it with the DVR connected.

Also I want to be able to fastly troubleshoot cctv systems, I need a built in 12v output.

Thank you