daxjeremy

my ISP has Private IP

Hi, I need to view my CCTV remotely but thru port forwarding im not successful in opening any port so I called my ISP and found out they have private IP, offering me to subscribe to a static IP instead. Is there a work around for this without getting a static IP? TIA

I think you may have misunderstood them. They probably have you on a dynamic IP. The answer is to get a dynamic DNS (DDNS) provider. When you type in a website name (like yahoo.com or google.com) the DNS is what tells your computer the IP address tied to that. In this case, the DDNS has an updater, usually either on your DVR or built into your router that tells the DNS server what your current IP address is.

As for port forwarding, here is a graphic I drew that should help explain how it works.

246779_1.png

A DDNS server is a nameserver allows you to create a unique hostname for a server or network where the IP address changes.(i.e it has a dynamic IP address)

The hostname takes the place of your IP address in settings on your phone and PC. The clever bit is that in your DVR / NVR settings under netservice there is a DNS option where you send a notification to your DDNS account automatically whenever your network's IP address changes, it updates your DDNS server account and any traffic that requests your hostname is directed to your network's 'current' registered IP address.

Neat eh? Wish I'd though of that!

Edited by Guest

I think you may have misunderstood them. They probably have you on a dynamic IP. The answer is to get a dynamic DNS (DDNS) provider. When you type in a website name (like yahoo.com or google.com) the DNS is what tells your computer the IP address tied to that. In this case, the DDNS has an updater, usually either on your DVR or built into your router that tells the DNS server what your current IP address is.

As for port forwarding, here is a graphic I drew that should help explain how it works.

246779_1.png

Thank you so much for your reply, unfortunately it won't successfully open any port. My public ip can be viewed thru whatismyip.com and after I forwarded the port 80 or 8080 or any other ports on my modem/router it encounters an error when tested using canyouseeme.org, so i called my ISP, they say their public IP is not actually "public IP". BTW, i'm from Philippines. Some of the CCTVs I installed are worked using diff ISPs but not this one, switching to another ISP is not an option because their under contract. Last option that will sure work will be upgrading to a higher plan that has static IP but its a bit expensive so i'm looking for other possible solutions.

I think what you are saying is that your client's IPS is a WLAN a wider LAN similar to a telephone party line? If thats the case then any inbound traffic would require the ISP to port forward any requests for you and frankly I don't see them doing that since more than one client wants it that that port taken care of and eventually there's no firewall.

Thats a REAL HEADSCRATCHER

This just sounds like the ISP is blocking the ports. Plenty of ISPs do this. Getting someone on the phone who can unblock the ports for you is a headache though, because most of them don't understand what you're asking for. In some cases, they'll just refuse to do it for you in which case you have to change service providers.

Whether you have a static IP, dynamic IP, or are using a third party for DDNS management, the ISP will still have to unblock the ports. If you've done the port forwarding properly and still can't gain access, you need to get on the phone with your ISP.

It's his client's ISP and he said that changing ISP is not on the cards in the near future because of the existing contract term.

However, nothing to stop them getting a second line with a more reasonable provider is there? especially if CCTV over IP is important to them.

hi guys

I know what the OP's problem is, and it's not a mere forwarding, ddns issue..

Think of it this way... if you're using your 3G/4G mobile tethered plan as your main internet connection for your home/office, will you be able to route traffic to your DVRs? Nope.

This is now our situation here in the PH.. where even regular DSL line (residential lines at the moment) don't get a REAL PUBLIC IP address = direct connection to the internet.. i guess the ISPs are doing this to save money on IP ranges..

No amount of ROUTER and DDNS tinkering can help us.. sadly.

@daxjeremy

unfortunately, there's nothing we can do.. VPN may be the only way but the requirements make it not a viable solution..

the only way i got through this are :

1) sign up for their Business account type DSL service (w/c cost a lot of money).. then you'll be on their DHCP for public IP address.. you can use DynDNS and all that afterwards.. or just go get a static IP (addon fee)

2) use CLOUD BASED DVRs, there's a lot in the market now.. this can bypass the issue since cloud based DVRS send data "OUTWARD" to the DVR Manufacturer's assigned servers.. you basically connect and get the stream from their server, not your DVR directly.. problem w/ this is it can be ridiculously slow/unstable coz you're dependent on a middle-man type server from CHINA somewhere.. sucks

I hate our ISPs here man.. we're already the worst/MOST EXPENSIVE internet service in ASIA, and they do this sh*t to us. Bunch of greedy bastards.

*frustrated*

Every ISP has to provide you with a public IP address, if they give you a private IP address somethings fishy. Most ISP's will give you a dynamic IP adress by default, not a static one. Static IP addresses you do sometimes have to pay for even from the best service providers. Not all ISP's will let you port forward from your gateway. These are usually cheaper ISP's don't use them if you can help it.

So here's what you do:

• Find another reputable ISP that will allow you to use port forwarding in the router/ gateway they provide. Sign up with them, and use them. Make sure you buy a DVR that supports DDNS I can think of 1 company that has a great free DDNS service that uses your DVR, not some bizzare set up that bounces you to China or wherever.

• Set up your DVR and cameras, and port forward your DVR.

• Write down the name of the ISP that is giving you such a nightmare, because it's good to know who has good service and who doesn't, its also good when other people know so they can avoid these horrible ISP's.

* Remember there is usually more then 1 ISP you can use depending on where in the world you are. The better ones don't try to rape you for common services that the major ones provide.

Opening ports is easy, getting them open can be a real problem. Constantly running into this. Finding someone who can help at the service provider can be very difficult.

In the meantime, this always works for me.

Can you see the CCTV DVR on the LAN?

Do you have a favorite VPN setup? One that always works?

My favorite is iteleport. Iteleport doesn't need port forwarding. You can connect your computer using a cellular hotspot to the internet and access it from anywhere in the world. Iteleport doesn't need port forwarding, it needs a gmail address. The computer you want to access starts up iteleport and it connects to a gmail account that you specify. From another computer anywhere on the internet you start iteleport and give it the same gmail address as the computer you want to access. Now access the computer that can access the CCTV DVR on the LAN.

This method needs a PC that isn't being used to work but it works.

One more way is with a streaming device like a slingbox. Connect the slingbox to the video out of the DVR and access the slingbox from anywhere. Controlling the DVR with the slingbox is the difficult part but it is possible.

These choices are the last choices you would want to take. I am using the PC method right now while trying to make someone from Comcast realize that their gateway router will not open ports. At least the one being used. That is if you can talk to someone that understands opening ports. Ooohhhh you have to use port forwarding to open ports! Now to convince them that you know how to forward ports. Sarcasm is wasted in writing and generally not appreciated. Sorry to all.

Let's just say I can feel your frustration with the situation.

Good luck hope you find something that works.

One more way is with a streaming device like a slingbox. Connect the slingbox to the video out of the DVR and access the slingbox from anywhere.
I think this would be a fairly easy solution to set up since the slingbox service (and similar ones) connect to a cloud which you connect to. In fact, any service like this might do exactly what you want.

The other way would be via a vpn, but you have to connect to a cloud vpn and then access that. I don't think that's as simple as the video output method, but it would be 100%, allowing you to have the full range of controls normally available.