Airick

"All Digital" IP cameras

Perhaps somebody here can shed some light on this for me. There are some network cameras out there that claim to provide an all-digital solution. My understanding of the way network cameras work is that an analog video signal must be converted by a video encoder and then it is able to be transmitted over the network. I understand that this can all be done at the camera and in one box, but there is still an analog signal there. Perhaps what they mean is that you do not have to run any co-ax cable when they say "all digital" solution. Is my understanding of the way these network cameras work correct?

If you want to pick nits then yes there is an analogue signal at the very begining. The second, or third chip behind the CCD is going to do an analogue to digital converison and the chip behind that does the encoding.

ACTI.com as a network camera with dual output analog and digital, they only one i know of..

There are quite a few cameras with analog/digital outputs. I recently played with the Toshiba IK-WB02A that offered this.

Covi Also .. i think, plus there are alot of Korean Manufacturers making these now for some of the well known brands.

it is free linux project base model have direct etherport 3 ic chips

cmos video chip, digital processor , axis network interface chip

all digital pipe no ad / conversion

and some company uses a same technology so its all digital

1280 x 1024 x 30fps and any variation of resolution and fps only speed limit of digital chip processing ( 10mbpixel ccd by kodak ~3fps , or other sensors models 640x480 ~200fps )

http://www.elphel.com/

~$1500

so yes it is all digital and you can be a part of the project and put your name

on it

dusan

I believe that only an IP camera with a "CMOS" imager (vs. CCD) would be "truly digital." With CMOS's lower power consumption, less heat generation, higher potential resolution at lower cost... I found only one problem - - the cameras' images totally sucked - - real problems with even mild lighting changes in testing, further degraded by compression. Rick / KrCCTV

No camera can ever be truely digital. Not untill you get the sun to put out a digital signal rather then an analog one.

I did some research shortly after starting this thread. CMOS chips produce a charge which is immediately converted to a voltage (analog) at pixel level. So it is basically like having thousands of 1 pixel cameras. These signals are combined, digitized, and processed on the same chip so you can get a digital signal straight off of a CMOS chip. It's a close as you can get.

Composite cameras run this digital signal through a Digital to Analog converter to produce the video signal we are used to seeing. Many IP cameras digitize this cleaner analog signal (which seems redundant) to simplify their camera design. New IP designs simply use the digital signal from the camera DSP.

Along with what securitymonster said....

There are many cameras out there that have analog/digital outputs. I know believe 4XEM has a few lower cost cameras that come with these outputs. I think they range from $250 to $550 for the low end ones. I think the models are W-2100 and W80.

Or... better yet buy a really good analog camera (lots more choices to get the perfect camera for your application)... and then run it through a video server at some point if you must.