Artus

router Technicolor TG 582n is a nightmare

Hi

I just installed CCTV and it works except internet. This is business Talk Talk, router Technicolor TG 582n. Ethernet cable is good, laptop connected works, I set port forwarding on the router, but I cannot ping DVR. Message is: Destination host unreachable. the router has dvr on the network devices list, correct interface, IP address, MAC address, but there is no full connectivity between dvr and router. Day before same DVR was tested and connected to Virgin Media router, worked fine. Now while connected to Talk Talk router does not connect to the router. Subnet mask, default gateway, DNS were set correctly on DVR.

I don't understand why I can't ping DVR, but it is on the network device list

Who can help? Perhaps Talk Talk uses different ports, or firewall issue, or DMZ?????

This is not a talk talk issue as I have port forwarded that router modem with that ISP several times.

There are no major issues unless you haven't completed it properly assuming your DVR good

which there is no indication to the contrary

I am unclear because your description says it sees it then is doesn't .

Are you saying that NOW the DVR is not listing as a connected device whereas before it did?

Also if someone tried it out on a Virgin Superhub they would have had to change the IP address on the DVR

The default IP address for Virgin Media superhub is 192.168.0.1 and on the technicolor its 192.168.1.1

so that was changed for a start. Also, after getting the router to see the DVR and having created rules you must assign

your DVR's address to the DMZ. There is no alternative with this router you MUST assign the DVR's IP to the DMZ

or there is no way to access it from outside through porting.

Then there is the issue which you haven't even mentioned, is your Talk Talk account a dynamic or static IP?

If it's dynamic you will also have to enable the DDNS and obtain a static hostname from a DDNS provider,

BEFORE you caan even think of contacting your DVR from outside the LAN.

AOL or talk talk will allow simple portforward direct in router settings

You might find the type of Internet account being the problem.

On basic accounts your router will reset ............ This is on limited accounts

Ask your customer if basic or limiter or do they have unlimited account with talk talk.

You can portforward direct on router of flash the settings from pc to router . Setup sent to your pm.

I would use DHCP or Obtain IP address automatically on the DVR first, then once you get the network info from DHCP, copy down the info and turn off DHCP and ping it...this way the router does the job and without error.

I would use DHCP or Obtain IP address automatically on the DVR first, then once you get the network info from DHCP, copy down the info and turn off DHCP and ping it...this way the router does the job and without error.

VERY SENSIBLE ! Let the router's DHCP do most of the work for you.

You only need to write down the ip address if you have a memory like a sieve

its likely to be 192.168.XXX.XXX but not always

(for the usual nit-pickers)

I did it

I change IP, dvr got it through DHCP, and I cannot ping it: "destination host unreachable"

moved to DMZ, still no luck.

the previous shot screen:

249265_1.jpg

status device: inactive

why is inactive?

same story with IP obtained through DHCP

looking at those two screens, your DVR's lan address is still set to DHCP as they have changed from one to the other.

If it's still set to DHCP the address will not be correct like trying to open the door with the wrong key IT WONT WORK...

Are you able to not ping it from the WAN or LAN?

If it's from the WAN, then it's a router forwarding setting. (I'd just put it in the DMZ and be done with it.)

If it's from the LAN, then something is still wrong in connecting the DVR to the network in the first place.