steever312

flir dvr vs avtech dvr

Hello all, i own a small commercial building and have solicited a few bids for a 12 camera dvr system. (8 indoor cams and 4 outdoor)

I've narrowed the proposal to 2 different companies.

One company is offering a avtech dvr,

(AVC798HA(D) 16CH 960H PUSH VIDEO DVR)

the other bid has spec'd a flir dvr.

(Summit Series 960H Super-Res DVRs)

pros and cons of one over the other?

does anyone have any experience with either of these systems/manufacturers??

advice?

thanks in advance

Are they pretty close to equal price wise?

Have you seen the quality of work that each company produces?

Does one of them offer better after sale support than the other?

Which one offers more training?

Are they both using cameras with the same specs?

Honestly, neither is a bad option which is why I would use other things (like those above) as discriminators.

Hi alarm bells ring first

Avtech budget system

Flir. Top spec pro

Your prices can be in same range as each other

What is your budget

I think ever since Flir acquired digimerge (who was OEM for Dahua), FLIR is just selling Dahua stuff for many of their NVR and DVR...

Not that Dahua is bad, just not the kind of stuff I think about when I hear FLIR (i think of thermal, military, coast guard cameras, marine applications)

As milkisbad says, Flir is great for thermal, but their low end is rebranded Dahua, not bad, but not special. ADI Global, one of the large distributors continually has this stuff on sale, sort of their value leader.

AVTech actually makes some innovative products and I've had AVTech IP cameras for a few years, all still work. They have their push video that sends you alerts via their EagleEyes app within 2-3 seconds of motion detection.

What I would ask is why still using 50 year old analog technology? First ask them if they still use old analog TV's in their own home. Ask them why you can record 1080P video from your cell phone but these cameras can only do about 1/5 the resolution?

Did you know that 960H "super res" is still 480P resolution? Kinda fools you into thinking it's better but prices for true 1080P cameras have dropped drastically and worth considering.

I would get more bids.

LOL

yes, both companies pushed the newest 1080p equipment......

however our site is really big, and our other building (where the dvr will reside) is almost 1000' away.

All our (current) camera runs are on cat5 with baluns, back to the main building/office.

and to answer an earlier question, the guy pushing the FLIR gear has also spec'd 'better' cam's

(speco intensifier ultra low lux) while the 2nd bid is offering the avtech dvr, and some off brand IR cams (Large White/Grey/Blk Dome Camera, Sony Effio-E DSP

Chipset, 1000TVL, ICR, 2.8-12mm, IP66, 12VDC--- off his bid)

the avtech company has quoted 3800$, while the FLIR/speco guy has quoted $4800.

Is the upgraded gear worth the $1000 premium??

I have some of the speco intesifier ultra low lux cams already, on our other building. The picture quality at night is simply amazing. Though for our application, the IR cams could work too, so undecided on which bid to go with........

I've seen instal work from both outfits. Both do really neat/clean instal work and have good service reputation.

thoughts?

Digimerge which was a trading name of lorex became part of flir when they bought lorex. And lorex is not a oem of dahua.

But if been quoted flir ...... Like I said bells ring

It will be a lorex unit

should i avoid a lorex? or just avoid paying a 'premium' for it?

after comparing the specs for both online, about the only difference i can find seems to be that the flir unit requires internet explorer (or ph app) while the avtech seems to allow firefox and chrome too.

also the flir offers:

FLIR DDNS service included

&

Auto Port Forwarding wizard for easy remote connection

how easy is the avtech unit for remote viewing setup?

When they refer to 1080P, they are referring to the display for the DVR, not the cameras which are analog 960h (960 by 480 pixels).

Digimerge which was a trading name of lorex became part of flir when they bought lorex. And lorex is not a oem of dahua.

But if been quoted flir ...... Like I said bells ring

It will be a lorex unit

I could have swore I saw some Dahua mini bullets on digimerge's website before the they got bought..

"also the flir offers:

FLIR DDNS service included

&

Auto Port Forwarding wizard for easy remote connectionv"

Neither are worth much. Heck you can use our company DDNS haha for free.

Auto port forwarding wizard...I hope they don't mean UPNP...but this also takes only 3-5 mins if the installer knows what they are doing and you got your router's password.

I guess its a good value if they have to install it too for 12 cameras and like you said its a large site. If you must use analog, check out the HD-CVI stuff from Dahua. They are coming out with HD-TVI soon, which is, according to their marketing, is like HD CVI but better since it can go up to 2 MP per camera and long distance run with Coax and can use cat5e with baluns. But since its so new, i'm going to let other people sell them first before i recommend it haha.