binods21

HDD Storage Deterioration

Hello,

After four years of use, on a H2.64 compression, my HDD recently has started to deteriorate randomly.

Even after installing a brand new HDD, the results are mixed. Some DVR's of the same model offer larger storage whereas some are ridiculously low.

The maximum storage HDD available in the market is 4TB, which is usually not enough for the requirement of banks that have 24/7 surveillance.

Please advise.

Thank you!!

There are much larger DVR's available from companies like Bosch, Pelco, Panasonic, and Vicon or if you went into the IP camera world you can get recording devices as big as you can afford.

Thank you for the reply,

But i deal in Kocom Electronics from Korea and also use IP cameras, but with integrated DVRS and have never experienced this problem. What do you think causes the hard drive capacity to shrink, randomly. Even in brand new 4TB hard drives.

Also,

What are some other on site storage solutions, that can be used. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Much Thanks.

Thank you for the reply,

But i deal in Kocom Electronics from Korea and also use IP cameras, but with integrated DVRS and have never experienced this problem. What do you think causes the hard drive capacity to shrink, randomly. Even in brand new 4TB hard drives.

HD capacity does not "shrink". Please clarify how you check HD capacity, if you are looking at hours of stored video, it will vary depending on many factors, like resolution, compression, etc.

A 4Tb hard drive will be a 4Tb hard drive, no matter on what DVR you install it.

Thats exactly what i mean when i say shrink. The Video Storage Capacity decreases drastically after a few days/ weeks.

I tested two DVR's with the same cameras, the same FPS, the same compression and exactly same motion/schedule/manual recording. Is there anything else that determines HDD space occupied by the video?

Its a H 2.64 compression, we record at 25 FPS (regulated) at full D1 capacity.

Any ideas?

Thats exactly what i mean when i say shrink. The Video Storage Capacity decreases drastically after a few days/ weeks.

I tested two DVR's with the same cameras, the same FPS, the same compression and exactly same motion/schedule/manual recording. Is there anything else that determines HDD space occupied by the video?

Constant or variable bitrate; movement on the scene. It is not the same if a camera is staring on an empty room, or looking at a busy street.

Thanks for the reply,

But, my problem is, the same DVR, at the same settings with the same storage capacity HDD gave more days of storage, and somehow, its acting random now, Even after installing a new hard drive.

Question: How liable is HDD corruption/damage, with power failures, and what else can cause bad sectors?

Also, can anyone recommend some non-network solution for Storage for huge amounts of CCTV footage?

Much Obliged

Thanks for the reply,

But, my problem is, the same DVR, at the same settings with the same storage capacity HDD gave more days of storage, and somehow, its acting random now, Even after installing a new hard drive.

Question: How liable is HDD corruption/damage, with power failures, and what else can cause bad sectors?

Also, can anyone recommend some non-network solution for Storage for huge amounts of CCTV footage?

Much Obliged

Are you using analog or IP cameras?

Dahua has offerings for DVR's with 32TB storage capacity.

It's a combination of both.

There are also Hybrid DVRs that have up to 32GB of storage from Dahua.

If I understand you, basically the same exact setup before gave you more days of storage? Is the system set to motion record or continuous? If motion recording, confirm that the camera is actually recording during motion and that you don't see long sections of video without any motion. It is possible the camera is picking up a lighting change or something to that effect and then it starts recording.

That could be possible. Thank you for the suggestion, i will check on that.

Also, cameras that are recording continuously also are having the same problem.

Another problem with the DVR is, it only supports 2TB HDD/slot with 4 slots, would you think an external HDD solution would be possible?

That could be possible. Thank you for the suggestion, i will check on that.

Also, cameras that are recording continuously also are having the same problem.

Another problem with the DVR is, it only supports 2TB HDD/slot with 4 slots, would you think an external HDD solution would be possible?

What brand is the DVR? Some do not support external storage.

Hard drives can deteriorate, but since you replaced it with a new one and the problem persists, it's not the hard drive.

I would try this--set the dvr to record 24x7 at the highest framerate and see how much time you get out of it. Then check that with the amount of data being produced and how much can be stored on the hard drive. If everything adds up, then you just need to check your settings on the dvr as something changed that caused it to use more space than before.