Hi.

Are looking for a solution that let us view a video with minimal latency. There will be between 4-10 viewers at the same time. Would preffer if the user could connect without any software, just by letting them connect to the lan with any device, and watch on their browser.

The input source will not be from a camera, but from a computer via VGA/DVI/HDMI (and an adapter if necessary). I'll still posting the question because I guess you guys have experience with these things.

The solution can't be something I need to put in a rack, but something I can put in a backpack, and carry around.

Price range: up to 250$.

First before jumping the gun and assuming anything could you say what the CCTV equipment is.

I will assume your unconventional VGA input is a working function.

Some, in fact most DVRs can be accessed direct by their HTTP portal.

Each user will require an account with the relevant permissions but they would simply type the network's public IP address and the port number of the DVR thus publicIP:HTTP Port (eg 82.21.20.1:80) where they should see a portal screen asking their usernameand password (hense the user account) and then login to the DVR itself viewing all outputs.

The problem may be that some DVR's require active X installed and (internet explorer too) thats fine on a PC but on smartphones, android and iPhones etc I am not sure it will be possible. You may need to install appropriate apps so rather defeats the object of what you wanted to achieve.

The input source will not be from a camera, but from a computer via VGA/DVI/HDMI (and an adapter if necessary). I'll still posting the question because I guess you guys have experience with these things.

If it is a computer, why not use something like VNC? VNC can be used from any browser, and you can configure it so the remote users just watch, without being able to control the computer.

Are using VNC today, but the technology is not stable. If 3+ users log on, the latency will be to long, often over 1 second. A typical problem is that it will log out ongoing users if a new one joins.

The purpose is showing a Black/white or Yellow/Black Office Word document.

TeamViewer need internet access. I need something that works on a lan.

You talked about a DVR. You got any examples? Afordable and small box with low delay (<0,5s), and at least about 16 fps.

You could surely use a DVR; 10 users at 25fps is not a problem. But keep in mind that a DVR uses analog video, which means that you would be working at D1@25fps (that is 704x576 on PAL, I think something like 704x480@30fps on NTSC). If you plan on streaming a computer desktop, that is not even close to a good idea.

Thanks for your response.

Will that resolution be something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlV9bK815qU?

I am going to show a Office Word-document, and guess the resolution don't need to be HD. As you can see in that video at 2:30, the text is quite readable.

Yes, that would be it. If the resolution is good enough for you, then a DVR could do the job. You would also need a VGA to analog adapter, so you could connect the VGA output on the computer to a viden input on the DVR.

I have networked 4 Hikvision DVRs a total of 64 cameras, These were on an industrial manufacturing site where there was a great 10/100 network with fiber connections so I piggybacked the CCTV on the LAN and the cameras can be viewed by any PC on the network

Each user will of course require an account on each DVR but after setting that up they simply use the lan address of the DVR typically 192.168.0.201:88 and 192.168.0.202:82can log into teach DVR or they can use the IVMS software and view all dvrs simultaneously.

Using a browser it is possible to open a tab for each DVR and click between them, of course only necessary if there is more than one DVR. Whats all this talk about latency, you merely have to watch the bandwidth to avoid DELAYS but there are no guarantees unless the CCTV has it's own LAN or you cap the bitrate.

There are also two 32inch televisions in the main office which display the 64 cameras between them 24/7.

These seem to work fine. I did reduce the fps to increase the speed a little but there was little effect.

Each viewer needs a user account on each device with appropriate permissions set according to their purpose in logging in.

Face it, you cannot 'invent a solution', you must use whats available, to your best advantage.

From what it sounds like, you're doing some sort of LAN presentation that you want people to see. Something like teamviewer or gotomeeting works when you are on the Internet, but for LAN usage without Internet, these won't. However, I'm sure there's some privatized pieces of software designed to do exactly what you want. I'd search for 'LAN presentation' software and see what you come up with.