PINBALLNUT

Software that run in the background?????

I am tring to monitor catch my wife cheating I will be using two pinhole wireless cameras.

My idea is to get a 4 channel dvr pci card

no one should notice that but is there any software for my computer that records in the background. I would like my wife to be able to use the computer to surf the net and not know it is recording anything. I would prefer if the software didn't have real time montering and it just made files i could burn on dvds and watch on my time

Why dont you just get a cheap stand alone embedded DVR. If framerate and internet access is not an issue you would be better off.

Also, I dont know how computer savy your wife is but to be absolutely sure she doesnt find out, use a stand alone. Hide it in the ceiling or somewhere else she wont be able to find.

she is not computer savy at all as long as the program runs in the background.

and one of the only places she wont look is there. The computer seems to be the best choice we rent in a apartment with no air vents

I'd go with a IP server in the attic, run it back into your router. Then FTP the video storage or watch it live. you can get a 1, 2, or 4 camera version, install it and the camera's in the attic/ceilings. Then you can look in anytime via the router/IP address. this would reduce the wiring, cables, ect. to just one UTP cable coming into your PC/router.

but if your looking for a card then you can install it no problems. how you are going to hide all those cables without getting caught is beyond me.

and your can do audio on the side also......lots of cool things out there. and then there is gps to record her travel. once you get her "hide out" all you need to do is be there with a camera.

and be careful, she is not that stupid....................

You could get a 2 channel card made by GEOVISION (Model GV-250-2) for pretty cheap. But, as far as running it in the background I am not sure. Wait a few more hours, someone will reply to this thread with the answer. I will try and research in the mean time though.

Doesnt run the background really, just starts up minimized, but it does run minimized with 2 cameras with very little CPU usage on a 2.0Ghz with 512DDR ram and 128DDR Video Card.

How do you think she is cheating? You can buy a cheap phone monitoring device from Radio Shack and record her phone calls while your out of the apartment. (This is for educational purposes only and not a suggestion to break any law. Please check local laws in your area, blah, blah)

Apparently you believe the cheating to be occuring in your place while your not home?

Is she using the computer to communicate with this person? You can using key logging software to find out what is done on the computer.

Maybe you should hire a Private Invesigator?

http://www.cheaters.com/

Just some food for thought.

well this is all sounding good so i am going to put the camera wireless recievers in the computer case and it sound like this will work .

all it has to pass is a poor computer using the computer once and a while.

that tray icon hider file download did not work. Can someone help me get that my email is pinballnut@msn.com

Just as a note, using a tape recorder under those circumstances is going to break the Federal Wiretapping laws. Since neither party is giving consent you are going to break the one party consent test. And before someone pops up with the "well it's my home/business/whatever" please keep in mind that the law doesn't care about that.

So why does it matter? Because the moment you confront her/him/it with this kind of evidence you're opening up a large hole in your own divorce. And god help you if you are dumb enough to introduce it as evidence. Since that would be admitting to an officer of the court that you violated a federal law. When it comes down to it, that becomes a hell of a hammer when it comes time to discuss post marriage payment.

Well scratch the phone recording idea then.

Are you primarily trying to collect evidence for a court of law or just to present her with the proof that you know?

Aslo won't there be a potential interference problem of putting the wireless receivers inside the computer case?

And if you're in FL and using Dial up or DSL I would scratch the keylogger for the same reason as phone recorder. I wouldn't do anything that touches a telecomm network.

Honestly I would just record video.

its just for me i tried a tape recorder but the tv volume was to high i just want real proof she can not say its not her. there is no court i need it for

well you could always throw together a basic EXE program that calls the DVR software and minimizes it in the background ...

You mean you can do that. The majority of people are not programmers.

I do hope you can catch her. The TV drowned out the recording of the phone? You think she might be on to you? And knew to turn up the volume of the TV?

yeah i just made a program to do it, small .exe, it reads the program name from a text file on the c: drive so you can change the app from there for anyone you want to use it for .. i havent tested it with Geo yet, but works with notepad.exe

She is probably more computer literate than he thinks and is reading his posts

I can't recommend much because it seems like all my ideas are illegal apparently. And I certainty do not want to suggest anything illegal in a public forum.

Rory, that program you wrote, would you have to put it in the startup folder? Then if the DVR has a splash screen, how are you going to get around that?

well if its Geo you set it to start minimized and auto login, dont see the splash screen, if there is a splash screen with other programs, still shouldt show, as it loads it hidden, not minimized, click F2 and brings up a login screen to load the program.

Course user will manually have to delete the shortcuts on the start menu and desktop, quicklaunch etc, to the program.

Will you email me a copy so I can try it out or post a link.

Curious to see how this would work.

geo GV250-2 for 2 cameras .. i run it 24/7 in my PC .. software and hardware is solid ..

well if its Geo you set it to start minimized and auto login, dont see the splash screen, if there is a splash screen with other programs, still shouldt show, as it loads it hidden, not minimized, click F2 and brings up a login screen to load the program.

Course user will manually have to delete the shortcuts on the start menu and desktop, quicklaunch etc, to the program.

If the PC has XP pro installed you can create a user that automatically logs in but is also in the RDP users group. This way the login and almost existence of that user is never displayed on the local machine, set it to encrypt it's documents and install GV into a directory inside. The user will always be logged in but you can login with a normal user account totally unaware unless you are aware enough to start watching processes.

EDIT:

Nevermind mine ONLY works on unattended PCs, if you are there at boot you will see the hidden users desktop and everything else until the screensaver kicks in and forces another login. Even if you have the screensaver begin at startup for that user it will still have a noticably strange boot sequence.

I'd go rory's route, it can be hidden pretty well while active with the same user.

Also I'd start coming up with some reasoning not to ever turn off the computer, pronto.

If Pinballnut suspects his wife of cheating maybe he should be talking to a trusted friend/advisor. It has happened to many of us and having a real-world advisor can prevent paranoia and over-reacting. Wiretapping laws will get him jailtime. Don't bug the phone. Many states have laws against video taping someone having sex-even your own wife. Again...jailtime.

If a private investigator is out of the question perhaps this might be the place to start:

http://www.spectorsoft.com/products/SpectorPro_Windows/index.html

When a spouse starts spying it is all over really anyway. Focus on the wellbeing of any children...and end it as soon as possible. Best for everyone. In any event...get some real-world advice from a trusted friend/advisor. We all have one.