Hello,

I have read up on a few different sites about various needs and requirements and recommendations for a CCTV system. I am looking at spending around £200 but I want something which is going to be weather proof as the camera's will be placed outside. The reason for this is in the past year we have had my car and my garage broken into and I want something of a visual deterrent and something I can give to the police who haven't got anywhere with my previous two crimes. I am also looking at maybe a sign stating CCTV is in operation as well but this maybe overkill. Do you think?

I am thinking:

1 camera overlooking the main door to see who is approaching the house

1 camera above this to see the outside garden and outer perimeter of the house

1 camera in a corner over the garage (as the garage is further back than the front door) so it can see the garage and the full driveway.

1 camera in the furthest corner of the garden so it can see the entire garden and the door coming into the house.

That's my thinking anyway unless anyone has any other idea's? I know you don't know my house setup but more of an idea if these sound like good places for cameras.

I am looking at these two which I have found and seem quite good but I am stuck as to which one would be better for my needs.

(I would possibly upgrade this with a 2TB hard disk just to store more footage)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/sentient-500-gb-8-channel-cctv-kit-with-4-bullet-cameras-n91nb

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SANNCE-8-Channel-Security-Surveillance-Weatherproof/dp/B00K4WP5LI

Also if anyone has any other suggestions I would be happy to have a look at these.

I am looking at something with good quality video for identification and something which I can hand off as evidence and also something which is good at night as that's when both of my crimes have been committed. Since they have been committed I have better secured the garage and I am constantly testing my car doors as I am still not sure how they got into it last time!

I with a part of the camera's they may over look the neighbors but I am not sure until I can get them up and if so is there anything I can do which may not compromise the camera such as some form of shielding on the recording?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions I am new to all this and I am looking for a good camera setup. I have been told that recording at D1 would be good quality and 420 TVL or higher is good and that the CCD camera's give a better picture than CMOS but I would like a clear picture in the dark as well as in the light. I am also quite liking the fact I can select schedules, motion detection and continuous. As it would be good for continuous while away and scheduled for the day or on certain camera's motion detection. I am also looking at maybe a security light over the garage however with the CCTV I think this would be negated. What do you guys think?

All help gratefully received.

James

In my area, outdoor cameras are stolen sometimes. A good design for that is to have additional cameras pointing at the other cameras. Then if one is stolen, one camera or the other will get a video of the thief!

As for signs or no signs... One way of thinking is to discourage crime and place signs all over the place. Another way of thinking is to "catch them" and have hidden cameras and no signs.

It's a very rare thing to need hidden cameras where outside attack or theft is concerned, More often hidden cameras are placed in temporarily to solve an issue within the staff of a business or organisation. Sfter they capture the required evidence they are usually no longer required as overt surveillance has a strong deterrent effect

Thanks for the response. Its not that bad where I live as someone else on the street has one over his front door and it's still there 8 years on.

As I want burglars to leave my property alone I would want to discourage them but also if they are persistent then to catch them too. Which is my thinking as I don't fancy another break in or attempted break in I just want them to leave my property alone. If it costs me £200 to keep them away it's money well spent in my eyes as my insurance will hopefully lower with no claims and better security.

I could be wrong but it's my train of thought ☺

Thanks again for the reply. The problem I have is kids and random people are always having a look if they see a sign and a camera or two it's a deterrent but then a few hidden so they are caught out as well.

Is my thinking well off with the rest of the world or am I simply naive?

Sorry with the kids I mean kicking football's near the house so they may hit them so if hidden away it's less of a target for them too so less likely to hit them.

Sorry with the kids I mean kicking football's near the house so they may hit them so if hidden away it's less of a target for them too so less likely to hit them.

No I don't think your way of thinking is out of order, just inexperienced. It may well be that you need hidden cameras but it's not the place to start. If a football hits the camera it should shake a littele abd then not be affected. If the camera is displaced or moved, the bracket id no good.

We started suffering young teenagers playing up, showing off, trying to outrage residents. After a few prosecutions the teens are still around only they behave themselves. In all the time I have had my own cameras up not once has a single camera been damaged or (to the best of my knowledge) attacked or damaged.

Cameras should have a solid bracket that locks in place with a screw or hex head bolt. This flimsy wimsy ones that have plastic thunb screws with two plates compressing a ball at each end are WAY TOO EASY to move to different positions and don't secure properly.

Even a strong wind might reposition them.

250505_1.1250505_2.1

Hi. I would use domes that will solve any cameras being hit and moved.

Signs on a domestic home are not needed and in most cases will give you more problems.

Lights with sensors would also help in your garden area

I would do a little more homework before looking at the likes of maplins

Ip cameras are now in your price range and will give you a far better image than analog

Thanks for the reply.

Both of the cameras I am looking at cone with anti cut cable attachments to stop vandalism. Are these the same thing?

What are people's thoughts on the two systems I am looking at? Any ggood? Pants? Is one better than the other if so why?

Thanks again

James

Tom,

Thanks for that do you have any recommendations for these up camera's? As I am new to this I don't really know what to look for.

James

With a little inventiveness you can hide the cables inside the property, but remember doing that may make future servicing difficult.

Dome cameras often allow the use of direct connection to conduit 3/4 in and 1 inch (20mm and 25mm). Personally I always use PVC conduit and have never yet suffered an attack, but you need to try and keep it out of reach if possible (not always possible)

Using metal conduit with UTP is not a problem over short lengths but it has the potential to screw up your signal. If you must use metal conduit, choose coax cable to carry the signal. Metal conduit id much harder work than PVC and anpther reason I don't use it it requires expensive bending equipment and a whole ne skillset (Which honestly, I don't posses )

I have never heard of anti vandal cable supplied on a camera, but I would take the claim with a pinch of salt until it has proven itself.

Dome cameras might be the obvious choice in this case then since you can hide all cables and the good quality domes have an access port within their husing for setting up the camera and its focus. NO junction box required

Below a diagram of the Night Devil CAM 220 which is fairly typical. Note the conduit threaded hole at the bottom of the picture.

ALWATS have this at the bottom, they can leak at the top.

250566_1.jpg

Thanks for that they look alright

So do you think my choices are not required for my needs? And I should start looking at dome camera's? If so where would be a good place to start as most of the links of Google are maplin, Amazon and eBay?

The choice is entirely yours' whatever suits your requirements best and satisfies your needs.

There are so m,any good quality cameras out there now. Personally a couple of brands I like

are Concept Pro, Night Devil, Pecan, Samsung, Pelco, Honeywell and of course Vista not in any particular

order. The problem you might find is persuading someone to retail these to you because they are mostly

brands used by professionals and aren't retail competitive ( i.e.CHEAP) where the only feature that really

counts is price( more fool those that are taken in).

You might get QVIS cameras which are great value, and will sell to anything that walks they are not fussy who they sell to.

Thats the problem you might have after sales from a seller that knows naff all about CCTV but will buy quantity

ans the last thing you want is nil after sales support right? Good news is that these are ultra reliable anyway.

Thanks again for the info.

I have had a look at the QVIS sets which seem quite expensive unless I am looking in all the wrong places. Can anyone suggest where to look?

I have had a look at the QVIS sets which seem quite expensive unless I am looking in all the wrong places. Can anyone suggest where to look?

I can guarantee that you will not be happy with these cameras after a few months probably even the first day. You really need to know what you are purchasing for the money. I would get a 4 channel Dahua DVR (~$140USD with a warranty) and 4 cameras with premade cables. You can definitely find some quality analog cameras for around ($60 a piece for outdoor or $45 for indoor).

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

I can guarantee that you will not be happy with these cameras after a few months probably even the first day. You really need to know what you are purchasing for the money. I would get a 4 channel Dahua DVR (~$140USD with a warranty) and 4 cameras with premade cables. You can definitely find some quality analog cameras for around ($60 a piece for outdoor or $45 for indoor).

CYANIDI ......YOUR WRONG with your guarantee qvis sell dahua and have been one of there longest distributors.

CYANIDI ......YOUR WRONG with your guarantee qvis sell dahua and have been one of there longest distributors.

Sorry for the confusion. I was speaking in regards to the unit he linked in his original post, NOT the Qvis units.

In my area, outdoor cameras are stolen sometimes. A good design for that is to have additional cameras pointing at the other cameras. Then if one is stolen, one camera or the other will get a video of the thief!

As for signs or no signs... One way of thinking is to discourage crime and place signs all over the place. Another way of thinking is to "catch them" and have hidden cameras and no signs.

With respect, in order to catch em as you put it, you will have to allow something to happen again. It could be argued in court that "you set a trap which is entrapment" and that the cameras were NOT there to deter anyone.

Prevention is far more desirable than revenge.

While domestic properties are not obliged to display CCTV Warning signs, it is always best to follow the legislation that is incumbent on commercial users, that way you avoid legal difficulties as much as its possible to.

Warning signs simply focus the miscreant's attention where pickings are easier and less risky. .

Well that's my view.

For readers of these posts, some QVIS DVRs are Dahua, "BUT NOT ALL OF THEM ARE" the clue is if they use PSS remote client, they are definitely Dahua. I am not so sure about their cameras but fortunately they work well and cover the entire range to suit all but the most mean and tight-fisted. (No disrespect to those that simply can't afford).

251009_1.jpg.................................... 251009_2.jpg

Mr "I never buy anything at the full price" ....................................... and his pal Mr did you say you have a problem with your DVR?

The problem with QVIS is that they sell to any twit that knows nothing about CCTV and some of the most recent sellers aren't in business to offer a service they just want to rape the inndustry. Problem is QVIS won't help end users unless they come through the original seller. I have seen lots of 'in warranty' QVIS equipment that needed return under warranty and the seller wasn't interested. I tried getting QVIS to take them back through me as I have a AData account there but they refuse so if your seller is one of those box sellers you're literally STUFFED and your warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. THIS IS MY ONLY CONCERN ABOUT QVIS Adata.

Best cctv company in Dubai  ??

must be a problem if best in Dubai with you spamming most forums ……. replying to 8 year old posts 

not very intelligent