cavcom

Installing cameras on poles for entrance of neighborhood?

Any one point me in the right direction for a supplier for poles and outdoor enclosures? Will be mounting 2 cameras and have a nvr and switch and internet hookup in enclosure.

Also any tips on grounding etc would be helpful.

Thanks

Find someone that works with metals, maybe your wrought iron / gate guy and have him do the job, get the pole because to do it right, you'll need welding anyway. You want him to weld a flange with holes and then have them pour a concrete foundation for the pole with studs coming out with conduit going through it. Also, have them weld a j-box to it so you can access any wiring (camera, illuminator, whatever may be needed). Also, tell him you need a pole that is thick walled or it may sway in breezes. Some people use square poles to minimize this. Get it painted black so it doesn't stand out. Don't forget to pull permits as any vertical object you install, even on private property likely requires that. If access to the pole by ladder is difficult, have them put a hinge on the base of the pole so you can tilt it down to work on the camera.

Your electrician should be able to get an outdoor rated nema enclosure for the NVR. Just make sure it's insulated fiberglass enclosure as the metal ones will fry the hard drives the first time it gets over 90f outside. Also get one with a big fan or set of fans. Try to find hard drives rated for over 95F unless you live in Alaska and that's not an issue. We could never get hard drives to last through summer no matter what we tried. We are looking at temperature controlled enclosures now with A/C units for one remote location.

It may not be an issue for you, but our HOA ended up not adding entrance cameras at the advice of the HOA lawyer. I'm not a lawyer, but the gist of it was that it created additional liability for the HOA that didn't exist without the cameras. I argued for them due to constant damage to the gates, but they got scared. There was also some issue with video in a public area. If you have an HOA I might recommend bouncing it off the attorney.

Others on here would probably know better or have more detailed advice.

Many manufacturers have pole mounts for dome cameras. Its going to depend on how high you want or need cameras on what type of mount you get. I've seen ones that can mount on the side of a metal pole and some mount on the top.

You will find that any tall pole is going to have to come from a local yard. Metal or Wood. Wood will probably be more cost effective, but we don't know where you are located.

Check your city ordinances or local laws for height and location.

HOA attorneys at the communities I've consulted on never said no to cameras. Their only concern was to make sure we did not record audio as that's not allowed here. Legally, where I live, we solved 100% off all incidents at our gates with the help of law enforcement. Has lead to good sized insurance claims. We even collected from the Orange County when a Sheriff accidently hit our gate during an emergency call. One case led the arrest of a crime ring operating in the area. It definitely paid for itself. We also put the cameras on the website for homeowners to help us look for trouble. We also realized people were hitting the gate too much so we are getting spikes for our entrance. When the gate close, the spike rise, a car hits the gate, the cameras will have plenty of time to record the car being towed away, Doh!

Our HOA board is not the greatest.

The gist of the explanation was that if cameras were placed there would be an expectation of availability for evidence in a crime. If for some reason the cameras were not functional and no evidence was available for something like an assault then the cameras gave a false expectation of security.... Thankfully, I am not an attorney and were I actually live is not in an HOA. I just own some HOA units.

Running into the gate due to tailgating is the biggest expense. I suggested that a unit owner near the gate could have a personal camera that might inadvertently capture gate activity....

The gist of the explanation was that if cameras were placed there would be an expectation of availability for evidence in a crime. If for some reason the cameras were not functional and no evidence was available for something like an assault then the cameras gave a false expectation of security.... Thankfully, I am not an attorney and were I actually live is not in an HOA. I just own some HOA units.

That's why there are these people called "Professionals" and "Engineers".

They do things the right way.

I agree. Getting a professional security company in there helps with risk & liability. I put in our newsletter that the cameras are not there for resident security, they are there to protect the assets of the association from vandalism, gate accidents as well as it protects the association from liability should someone claim the gate him them, their car, their kid (kids love riding the gates, but who is a mother going to blame when their baby gets hurt?).

Just a hit to one side of a dual gate costs over $4k to repair, does that justify a camera?

I think you guys have inspired me to take another swing at the HOA to put the cameras up. As you both suggest perhaps having a 3rd party install and manage just gate cameras while providing clear disclaimers about their use would solve the issues.

I'm not sure they quoted the cost of doing this kind of thing, but they have had 20k in gate repairs lately so I certainly see the value.

This board and it's attorney sound pretty dang stupid to me.

This is quite literally done in THOUSANDS of neighborhoods across the country (and the world) but in this one case there is some precedent not to do it? News flash to the board... your neighborhood isn't special, it doesn't exist in some protected bubble, and your logic is utterly insane. Buying professional equipment installed and maintained by professionals is the right way to go.... case freaking closed.

This board and it's attorney sound pretty dang stupid to me.

You have no idea. Its what you get when nobody qualified wants the job.