Sign in to follow this  
ashanta

DVR Power supply

I have bought and set up a Swann 960H DVR and 6 Pro-642 cameras. All set up and running well with remote access via internet. I am pleased with the set up. My question is about running the DVR. There is no power supply switch. I currently have to switch off (unplug adapter) from the socket which is among a number of other plugs on an extension cable under my PC. There is no on/off switch for this unit. I find the fan inside the casing is quite noisy and I worry about running the DVR for long periods.

Does anyone have any views on this?

Thanks

First off, when shutting it down, you'd be best off to not just pull the plug but select shutdown on the dvr (usually accessable by right clicking mouse and logging in on many dvrs)

This is just to properly shutdown the hard drive.

Then beside that, why not just plug the dvr into its own plug strip. You can the just hit the power switch on that if you need to.

Things like CCTV, alarm systems, central air conditioning controls (for thermostat), etc. are intended and designed to run constantly.

My CCTV system is always on.

Things like CCTV, alarm systems, central air conditioning controls (for thermostat), etc. are intended and designed to run constantly.

My CCTV system is always on.

Agreed,

I think the op is not happy with the fan noise.

I also have seen hard drives go from improper shutdowns so I'm always a little weary of DVRs just being shutdown abruptly through power loss.

Chances are good, nothing bad will happen but why take the chance.

First off, when shutting it down, you'd be best off to not just pull the plug but select shutdown on the dvr (usually accessable by right clicking mouse and logging in on many dvrs)

This is just to properly shutdown the hard drive.

Then beside that, why not just plug the dvr into its own plug strip. You can the just hit the power switch on that if you need to.

Firstly, thanks for your reply.

My CCTV installation will be at my home. I have only carried out the initial DVR set up and internet connection and tested each camera prior to siting. The DVR will be situated in my small study, music room etc. There is only one double mains in the room which I run a couple of extension leads from.

The aim was to use this system when my wife and I are away from the house. Police response here in rural Ireland is poor and the installation is one means of deterrent. We didn't plan to have cctv running when we were at home. Hence the question regarding power supply switch. I understand why cctv systems are intended to be running constantly, but as it is not my requirement I was wondering how to achieve this as it (noise) will interfere with the other uses of this room.

I understand the system would need to be shut down properly before power supply is switched off.

Thanks