Sign in to follow this  
smcctv

Soldering a Cat 5e cable or not

Hi all,

I have completed a install a my mates shop using Cat 5e cabling to a BNC Balun. Im finding that because the cat 5 copper connection is very thin. It breaks easily when a small amount of pulling pressure is triggered.

What is the best method to strengthen the connection?

By Soldering it?

Thanks

Vic

If you are using solid copper cat5 it should manage to withstand some reasonable pulling. If you are referring to the connections, the best method is to install RJ45 plugs and plug into the balun receiver. If you are using the screw down terminals then the pressure could fracture the conductors so before installing them into the terminals crimp insulated ferrules on the stripped ends. These are made of malleable copper sleeve and made an intermittent and flaky connection into a rock solid connection.

For category5 cable you need 0.25mm sleeves properly crimped they make all the difference however if you are only using them on one occasion, slip them on to the cable end and screw down the terminal, it's not ideal but it does work and means you won't have to buy an expensive crimp tool.

I can't comment about soldering but it doesn't sound like a good idea to solder a cable that was designed to be crimped.

253921_1.jpg253921_2.jpg253921_3.jpg

One other point, about cat5 it needs proper handling, I wouldn't say its fragile exactly, buy you cannot afford to have kinks in it and never stand on it when it is uncoiled on the ground. Treat it with respect and you'll have no problems

In my experience, soldered connections are the best over a long period of time. (15 years down the road, the connections will still be good.)

The WORST connections are wires hand twisted together and nothing used to crimp or hold them together. These will quickly fail - become a high resistance or intermittent connection. (As a rule for servicemen tracking these down, they will be located in the most difficult to get to location!)

I'm always all for soldering when needed but I'm a little confused here.

What type of connections are used at the baluns for attaching the cat 5?

I'm used to seeing small screw terminals and push in connectors so I'm a little lost on where you'd be soldering

I'm always all for soldering when needed but I'm a little confused here.

What type of connections are used at the baluns for attaching the cat 5?

I'm used to seeing small screw terminals and push in connectors so I'm a little lost on where you'd be soldering

I think they are talking about splicing which is a common practice where we use jelly filled Y2 telecom IDC type splices

I am NOT opposed to soldering but soldering on a bench is one thing but baluns are rarely positioned on a bench. Soldering up a ladder or in a dark place or tight spot is not only risky but difficult. Besides dry joint can result from wind cooling the solder too fast.

IN THE REAL WORLD...

There are both Active and passive baluns, for the most p[art personally I have used passive so thats what I'll describe here.

There are single channel Baluns and there are 4 way/ 8 way and 16 way baluns. Usually the 4 8 and 16 way baluns are used just as receivers.

Firstly lets talk about single channel baluns which come in pairs, one to transmit one to receive.

Mostly these have screw down terminals for the most part but there are also some that have a simple push in terminal. There are recently also some that utilize a IDC connection which in fact is what cat5 was designed for. IDC = Insulation Displacement Connector.

Yet other baluns that carry power and audio will have a RJ45 socket when a ready made or "made in situ" cable can be employed.

Effectively that's it for single channel

253973_1.jpg253973_2.jpgresize.php?img=VA311SC_masterbalun_step1.jpg&width=400&height=400253973_3.jpg

With multiway baluns for every four channels there is usually a RJ45 socket (i.e. a cta5 can carry four signals) and this cat5 can take the signal to another unit where another balun sends the signal and plugs in with another RJ45

resize.php?img=va313.jpeg&width=550&height=400

Unfortunately, it's not always convenient to use all 4 pairs to the other balun in which case the installer can ise a screw down terminal and break out one or more channels for instance when there is a camera local to the balun that need not run to the second balun or for when an amateur technician is wiring up the baluns and doesn't know how to install a RJ45. It is important to note here you can use either the RJ45 OR the screw terminal but not a combination as baluns don't seem to allow this. ( I know, I've tried)

What I do is use a RJ45 at the balun end and take a ct5 to a central junction box where also take a DC power supply to and split it 4 ways, I splice to each camera using Y2 jelly crimps to a single incoming pair where the remaining pair are used to carry DC to the camera of course using a single balun at the camera. Works like a dream, saves on wiring and make a neat finish at the DVR end.

Oh I understand all about baluns.

I've used both passive and active.

My confusion was in that the op's question seemed to involve soldering the cat5 to the balun.

Think problem here is just op has used either cheap cat5 or 24 instead of 18.

But even if solder it's week point is going to be just before the solder so same problem.

But even if solder it's week point is going to be just before the solder so same problem.

That's what I'm thinking

Hi guys,

Thankyou all for your information. Gives me a few thinks to try out now.

I was referring to splicing to the Cat 5 cable end and not to the balun.

I have been using a single channel balun which screws into the cat 5 cable when i have stripped it back.

On this particular occasion i have used Cat 5e CCA Cable which i believe is not Solid Core.

Many Thanks

Vic

On this particular occasion i have used Cat 5e CCA Cable which i believe is not Solid Core.

Vic

CCA is garbage. Very brittle as you have found and MUCH higher resistance than standards-compliant solid-copper cat5...I've ripped out and replaced probably miles of that crap installed by others.

with the CCA it'd be better to discard it and rewire in SOLID COPPER conductor.

cat5 has to handled with care but cat5 CCA copper coated aluminium or CCS copper coated steeyou are just asking for trouble as both offer a poor signal and handling risks of conduct fracture...

And when you solder it it's even more of a risk, just chuck it away and cut your losses

I still don't understand where the soldering comes in unless you are referring to repairs

again \i say switch to copper its well worth the additional cost. Buy from a reliable reputable supplier

in my early days I bought two boxes that advertised as copper but turned out to be CCA.

Use a craft knife across one conductor and scrape you'll soon discover if it's CCA.

You don't need the hassle of always needing check it thats why I say use a reputable supplier.

This is a lesson I learned the hard way and the members on this site soon advised me the correct way so its a pleasure to pass this on to you.

Oh I understand all about baluns.

I've used both passive and active.

My confusion was in that the op's question seemed to involve soldering the cat5 to the balun.

Oh I see, well that's okay someone will get some benefit from the info hopefully.

In my experience, Catx cable is quite strong. It usually becomes weak when the insulation is stripped off - a metal wire stripper will often score the cable and that is its weakest point. I've usually had better luck using my fingernails to strip individual conductors since they don't score the cable. YMMV

I usually use a special wire stripper designed for the conductor size my fingernails cannot take the punishment and frankly

I have so often to strip this cable that I don't mind the expense of a specific tool to do the job. This is an important part of the installation's integrity, thats why I invest in this stripper and no risk of stretching the conductor. When I splice conductors I use IDC jelly crimps because they give a gas tight connection so it makes sense to me to take care when stripping for other connections.

I am rationalizing my own method. I cannot comment on the fingernail thing, it doesn't work for me personally.

254025_1.jpg

Agreed... CCA CAT 5 cable has arrived in the bin.

Cat 5e Solid Core cable ordered, obviously alot more dearer but will save me sorting out issues in the long run.

If you know of any UK suppliers who sell good quality Cat 5 and Cat 6 solid core cable, please pm me.

Really appreciate you comments as im currently going through a big learning curve at present.

Regards

Vic

Yes it 's a hard lesson but cheap materials are a false economy. Its's gut-wrenching when I see materials way below what I am paying and everytime I have been tempted. its cost me dearly. Same with BNCs buy cheap they'll let you down buy the best and do it just once.

It's taken me years but I think I am finally learning the lesson. (but it's so..... NO BUTS NO EXCUSES)

This is an important part of the installation's integrity, thats why I invest in this stripper and no risk of stretching the conductor. When I splice conductors I use IDC jelly crimps because they give a gas tight connection so it makes sense to me to take care when stripping

Why strip ......... You never strip push down

You;re just dying to see my underpants aren't you TOM?

The answer is that some of us just can't solder for toffee me included.

No just putting a fact right

You don't strip cat5 on push downs

You do it your way BUT FOR FORUM REASONS people who wish to learn the trade need right advice

WHICH IS YOU DONT STRIP FOR PUSH DOWN YOU DONT STRIP FOR JELLY BEAN.

and I was only putting a post right ..... Nothing was said about you

254053_1.jpg

254053_2.jpg

254053_3.jpg

ALL DONT NEED STRIP making cat5 end stronger

THANK ME LATER Nice to learn something numb-nuts " title="Applause" />

Not sure which of you "knows" more but wrong information is wrong information and should be corrected for the benefit of those who may otherwise not know.

Look up the meaning of IDC