joe4

Newbie Help - Geo 1480 keeps shocking me.

I have a b-tron 16-12-2 12 volt power supply. I am testing some cameras and when i go to hook it to my geo it makes my hand tingles. Can someone please help.

Is solid black - neg

and black with stripe + pos

I made a short patch cable with twist on bnc, could a bad cable do this?

be very careful....you have a serrious safety thing going on and if you try to guess it you may not fix it, just move the problem. id you have a multimeter you can fix it faster, only if you know what you are looking at.

But, in Home wiring....black is normally the HOT wire, white the return, and bare copper the ground.

any other wiring "may be" black is ground, striped black????? Do you only have those two wires? Or is there a 3rd....grounded?

it makes a difference so don't just think it is normal......call an electrician if you are not meter/AC voltage smart. The 75 dollar house call may save your life....

something is not wired properly...........and your color codes are not of normal wire markings

I am only wireing the camera, the power cord to the b-tron was allready installed. the part that is shocking me would be when I try to connect the bnc from the camera to the geo card.

Can a very short video cable do this? Mine is 3 feet, I made it for testing.

When you do plug in the BNC to the GEO, do you get video?

Also, I would just call B-Tron and ask about the power wires if they were already in the box when you purchased.

The distance of the cable does not matter. As long as the cable was made correctly. What kind of cams are you using..Are they 12VoltDC?

The cam is 12 Volt DC.

I have not connected it to the Geo all the way because i do not want to fry it.

The power wire from b-tron was from the wall to the unit.

I am going to buy a digital multimeter today to test with.

So this wire is short ~3' and currently only goes from the PS to the rack?

I was dead set you were picking up static somewhere on the coax but 3' and all visable thats about impossible.

I have a 3 power cord going from the b-tron to the camera and a 3 foot video BNC going from the camera to the geo card.

I tested the b-tron and it has 12.09 VDC, I tested the end of the power cord that goes to the camera and it also has 12.09 VDC.

I plug the camera in to the b-tron then test the video connector, it has about 80 mA on it. hard to tell it jumps all around.

Now i get the tingle when I am holding the BNC on the back of the geo and the BNC off the 3 foot patch cord that connects the video from the cam to the back of the geo.

with a differnet cam i get 1.2 VDC from the video out. i am touching +red to the center and -black to the BNC outside to get this reading. Not sure if this should do anything.

Are you using a custom built PC? If so, do you think there is a grounding issue with maybe the motherboard or DVR card?

Just thinking of all the possibilities.

And 3 power cords?? From the box to the cam??

Sorry that was 3 foot power cord.

the pc is a dell GX620

with the pc off and the camera on i do not get the shock. also the cam on will not shock me either, not untill both are on and try to make the bnc connection.

Edited by Guest

I dont know, it sounds like everything is properly connected.

What about when you only hold the BNC that is connected to the GEO and your other hand is not touching the other end.

Still Shocking?

Maybe the GEO card is touching something its not supposed to be. The I/O plate perhaps.

With just the geo in my hand i get nothing.

I did a voltage test from the cam video out to the geo and they all have tound 3-4 voltz.

Try using a regular 12volt power adapter to the camera to see if you get the same thing. If you don't, is obvious that the B-tron is bad, but if you do, then try another camera, and lastly, go inside the PC and make sure that everything is in it's proper place, also check to see that the outlet that you are using for the PC is properly grounded.

also check to see that the outlet that you are using for the PC is properly grounded.

Thats where I'm thinking, are they both on the same outlet?

You didn't cut the 3rd prong off the PS so it would work in a 2 prong plug did ya?

the b-tron allready had a 2 prong installed.

i think the end is near

useing two differnet cameras and two differnt power supplys i can only get shocked by the btron.

now i do not know if it is because the b-tron has more amps than the other power supply or if there is a problem.

BTW thanks for all the help.

run a common ground wire between the bnc's negative and the power supply for that camera's negative.

no more shocking right?

I should have posted my update.

A bad power supply from dell was my problem with the shock.

I still do not know about the 4 volts running from the ouside of the bnc to any ground I use, it must be by design because all the cameras i have will do it. unless i am not useing my test tool correct or has a problem.

to replicate this just hook a single camera to a power supply then touch one lead to the outside of the BNC, then the other to ground. With a 6 amp 12 volt ps i get 4.4 DC and with a smaller power supply i get 1.4 volts DC.

after the first camera is connected non of the other cams have the problem.

all the cameras work great and I am happy not to get shocked anymore

if someone else test the above please post if you get the same. I am going to do the install with the strange 4 volt problem.