Sign in to follow this  
CollinR

Anyone try the Labor Saving Devices Spearzit twist drills.

I know their Graps-Zit kicks ass, so do their glo rods. Right now I still use full form twist drills and they work great but they dull easily and they sharpening them is a PITA. The Spears-Zit can be sharpened with a hand file in minutes if need be.

Sorry. Yeah it is for wood. Need to install some domes on a ceiling that has almost 3 feet between the orginal roof and the new one.

My 2 footer didn't make it.

Thanks.

Well I couldn't find the exact one but I was already at labor saving devices and noticed they have something like it.

61-BBBB.jpg

Basically with one of these you can use multiple bits at 36" (or longer) but not have to carry all that crap around.

The problem here is that those only accept little bits, mine has a IIRC 1/4" hex that accepts almost any boreing bit. If you can, suck it up and buy one with a Quick Change end, then you know the bit won't get lost in a cavity when pulling back through insulation/firestop/shingles .

I was looking for bit extenders also, but only found very short ones. 3 ½ inches long.

Do you have a link for this site your talking about so I can take a look around.

Thanks.

I haven't been able to find one on the internet that is 3 feet long by 3/4" and I spent some time searching. Came up with many hits on 1/2 and 9/16, but not 3/4 inch.

Will 9/16 allow me to put my BNC connector up into the ceiling?

If I cound just find a 1 foot bit extender to connect the the 2 foot bell hanger bit I have already that would probably do the trick as long as it stays together like mentioned above.

http://www.bamanufacturing.com/hdbh_series.html

Dude you dont even need that, use the thin bit.

Take the Cable plug off the dome, push the cable plug end through, or pull it through, then that way you dont need to try to fit the BNC in the hole at all.

Or extend the cable with a 2 pair telco wire or twisted pair if you need to. Or just terminate it inside the dome.

Edited by Guest

Dunno about you but I run the wire then terminate it, I thought you were running multiple runs through one hole. I just jump right from 1/2" to 1 1/2".

EDIT: Oh I see what the problem is now, I don't cut the OE leads but then again I don't install many domes either.

Basic 3/4" x 36" self feed auger bit

http://www.fiberfish.com/Durabits.htm

$18

http://www.spytown.com/dura3436.html

EDIT:

Boatloads of other stuff too.

http://www.hometech.com/tools/wiring.html

I already ordered one from SpyTown, waited a week, called to find out the status and was told it was on back order for at least antoher week. It would have been nice if someone told me that. I could say more, but I won't.

yeah my bad, you shouldnt need to cut the lead, just unplug it from the camera board, then pull it through the hole from the attic .. plug it back in once the dome is mounted. If it wont fit through the hold, then cut it and splice it back, or use a bigger bit.

Yeah I don’t feel comfortable cutting off the BNC connector and then trying to connect the COAX to that tiny wire. That seems like a difficult thing to do and not a lot of wire to screw up with.

I bought this one and I would like to extend: B.E.S. FiberFish Rods and Installation Accessories DURA3424 3/4''x24'' Dura-Bit

That quick changer extender bit looks like it might work with the above bit? It allows for different shaft sizes I am assuming. Any problems with this thing slipping off and getting stuck in between the roofs?

I can’t disconnect the BNC wire from the camera and plug it in from the attic because the place has been remodeled and the new roof is about 3 feet above the old roof, which I have no access to. I need to drill a clean hole all the way through the interior ceiling in through the first roof, which is into the attic. The attic in that area is very cramped as well.

you would just be cutting the Camera Video/Power cable and splicing the same cable back together ... only if the plug wont fit in the hole ..

another thing you can do is splice a 5' piece of telco, RCA, or twisted pair to the Coax, then pull that with the coax, pull that end through the hold and put the plug on the end of it, then plug it in the camera board. You can always get a second Video/Power plug and cut that one, so you still have the original. Once done correctly you wont have any issues, except make sure there is no high voltage source right near that thin cable.

A little confused on the Video/Power cable statement. The thin video cable from the camera, the center core is the signal and the outer part is the ground isn’t it, like the coax?

The second part seems like I would need the nice clean hole all the way through which is what I am trying to do my lengthening the bit or buying the larger bit.

I have never attempted to cut one of those tiny wires because I figured I would have a tiny video signal wire that I would have to attach to the solid core of the coax and another tiny wire to connect to the copper grounding on the coax. Am I mistaken?

its going to have power and video, for the video, yes yellow jacket would be video, braid would be ground, and if it doesnt have a seperate ground for the power that would be the same, and then positive would be red.

You could join it to the coax if you needed to but not easily. Telco and RCA is easy enough to splice with RG59 though, done it before where I had no choice, and has lasted 6 years so far - do it all the time to my own cameras here also.

In your case you would just be joining a piece of telco, RCA or twisted pair to the RG59, which is easy. Joining that smaller cable to the camera cable plug would be easy too, you could use a terminal block to make it more secure and velcro / double stick that inside the dome housing.

If you got the 1/2" bit you shouldnt need to cut anything. Connect your Camera Video/Power Cable to the Terminated Siamese cable at the attic entrance, then tape the connection up to secure it further, put a small thin piece of tape over the plug end, and put very small touch of Joy on the tape so it slides good through the hole. Then pull the Plug end of the Camera Video/Power cable and pull it through the hole - take off tape from plug, mount camera and plug in.

I don’t feel comfortable with cutting that small wire. I would practice doing that several times out of location rather than learning that out in the field.

I like your second idea. I have to buy a longer bit or an extension anyway so I figure the ¾ would be better. When I tried to slip some of this new RG59 Siamese I used I couldn’t get it through a ½ inch hole. I had to use the ¾ bit I had which enabled me to slip the cable through. Plus disconnecting the video lead from the circuit board an reconnecting it while standing on a ladder could be a pain. I have taken those boards apart way to may times already.

With the ¾ bit I can just push the terminated Siamese cable with the BNC connector right back into the ceiling.

I like that idea though. You know that video wire on those Sanyo domes are pretty short, but I guess most are.

yup, well you could always extend that cable with a small piece of solid 2 pair telco wire ... i cant remember the length off hand ..

Anytime.

Keep your eyes peeled for those long quick change extensions, I'm dieing to get my hands on one.

Now we return to the irregularly scheduled broadcast...

Any word on the Spears-Zit?