dsr_80

PC/DVR Advice Please!

Need HELP Please!!! (NEW AT THIS CCTV THING/ UK BASED)

Basically I have an existing CCTV system which used a VHS recorder. I’m thinking of replacing the recorder with a PC DVR.

Currently I have 6 Cameras, and require excellent playback quality, plus I require the PC for general use (Office, Internet/Gaming).

Please can anyone advise which is the best DVR Card (Make and Model) and Software to go for (Geovision ETC)? , what hardware spec is recommended for a PC? i.e. hard disc, graphic card, processor, and if anyone has examples of any images from playbacks?

Thanks

Dal

[/b]

I can understand the simple tasks; office, internet but Gaming. You will not be able to run the DVR program and get online and play games at the same time. Just not enough resources. You will have to shut down the DVR program to do that otherwise.

As far as the hardware/software setup...It all depends on the card you will be using. General guidlines; Pent CPU, Intel Chipset MOBO, 64MB+ Vid Card, 80GB+ HDD or partition.

There is not really a best DVR Card. We can all help you out depending on your needs and budget. So lets start with that.

We build, install & sell around 200 Geovision systems a year & many are used for multiple remote monitoring (Burgerking etc).

They make 6 camera cards. if you need computer specs or advice, go to our computer website http://www.uplandscomputers.co.uk where you will find the phone number.

Ask for my partner (Saleem) and he will try to advise you.

I have a couple GeoVision recorded clips on my home page, top right.

The GV250 is their budget card, the one i Use in my PC, but i would never game on the same PC with the DVR software running, in fact when playing a movie on the PC i generally shut down the DVR software most of the time.

I would really get a second PC just for the DVR if you can, it will be much more stable, and as it is security, that is a high priority.

Thanks for advice so far..

My budget is approx £1500 -£2000 and I would prefer to build my own PC and configure the DVR myself.

My Basic Requirements:

3-4 Days of recordings saved

High Quality recordings for all 6 cameras in colour

I'm looking in a dual core processor...so any advice...please!!

Thanks

DAL

Like rory mentioned, I really don't recommand to use the same DVR pc for other applications. Yes, for some applications there shouldn't have any problem. However, you don't need a first class pc for your DVR system. Leave the dual-processor for you game applications since it won't give you a better quality of your video recording. For high quality video, you probably want to invest your money on camera, lens, or DVR card.

Roger

OK, forget gaming, but which DVR card do u recommend for high quality recording and at least 3-4 days storage?

Geovision : gv-1240or GV-1480 any good?

Any other good dvr makes?

Hi,

Geovision is a good choice. I stick with MagicRadar since my brother has installed more than 1000 systems with MagicRadar cards and I can get free tech support from my brother's company.

I normally record video at 7-8 fps. For your 3-4 days recording, it is almost nothing to the hard drive. Even with 15 fps, the HD won't be any issue.

GV1240-8 would do it, you might however consider the other Geovision cards because they all seem to have the same price point once you get to that level, the 1480 has twice the speed and inputs but 30% more cost.

You'll have no storage problems as long as you get a reasonable harddrive, a 20G would prolly last for days in a residence. I don't know if they even sell HD that small anymore.

Intel processor and Intel northbridge chipset (if in doubt buy a board made by Intel it will be both), the rest do as you wish. Buy quality network parts too, I've seen those $6 NICs cause $600 worth of PITA.

Get one of these

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1698848&CatId=333

$189

take the motherboard out and swap it with this

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1648816&CatId=13

$59

and throw in a harddrive.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1422521

$50

I've never used that specific combination but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work and hell it's under $350, will prolly hold a months worth of video and can back up to DVDs. Too bad it's in a bull**** case , nobody likes white.

yup, they chage the case colors on and off, Ive used them in the past, well other people had them. No OS though . so gotta use your own or buy another CD ...

It'll work as is with the GV250 ... without swapping the board.

good links though, i may post a sticky ..

yup, they chage the case colors on and off, Ive used them in the past, well other people had them. No OS though . so gotta use your own or buy another CD ...

Too true.

You could also call them on the phone and ask about a

SYXS-DC-988970

Systemax Venture H519 (NOT the 516 on the website)

Its a good to go package with XP home preinstalled.

P4 519J

Intel 915GL

512 MB

120G SATA

16x DVD-RW

NIC

Its about as much more $ as the license for XP, $599 not too bad.

It'll work as is with the GV250 ... without swapping the board.

Yup, have you ever used a Via Epia? Where is that line where Via is no longer a go?

Yeah I used the SystemMax for a Geo DVR before, people i know here, all they use are the Systemax PCs ...

Gonna start building the system next week..so I will let you guys know the spec...soon..

Think I might go for Geovision 1480, (I need the high quality playback)

Thanks for all your help!!

You might want to think about noise in the PC if the equipment is going to be close to a living area. If its in a cupboard or the like its not an issue.

Regards

Keith

Yeah I used the SystemMax for a Geo DVR before, people i know here, all they use are the Systemax PCs ...

They seem decent? What about the Wintergreens, they are even cheaper?

Yeah the Wintergreens arent in the same league, they are the rock bottom ones, I would only use them for something like the GV250 .. and then I would still add a Saphire Radean Video card. No OS so you have to load your own.

The Systemax you can get with Intel boards in the Customize and Business section, but what i did is use their Customize and Home section, then bought a Micro ATX Intel board, and just swapped it out, so I had a nice small case, been running 7 months now with no failures.

So basically a decent starter PC for a DVR, with a celeron CPU and intel chipset, 120GB HDD, 128 Saphire Video Card, 512 DDR.

the GV250s can get away with the Wintergreens though easily.

Im running the GV250 in my Refurbished 3 year old 2Ghz HP with a Via Chipset. It cost my colleague hardly anything from Tiger and then he gave it to me when he upgraded ..

Way cool.

You know what i'm talking about with the Via Epia?

http://www.mini-itx.com/hardware/intro.asp

They have the power but until recently no intel chipset option. Even that DFI thats on the homepage I didn't find one in stock or on DFI's website.

EDIT:

They have em fanless too, so you can mount it inside an alarm encolsure, vehicle use is no problem. 12v powersupplies no problem, even smart ones to deal with vehicle starting and stopping for ~$50

36060_1.jpg

So if you have the extra 12v from the cams PS you just add it on. They are nutty small, you could mount them in walls with ease.

Edited by Guest