Hilton

Read and Display FOB Code

Hello! I take care of the access control systems at several residential buildings. Many use Kantech hardware, some RBH, some others (Chubb's equipment, whatever it is; also Viscount MESH).

I am about to undertake a routine FOB audit at a couple of buildings and am looking for a way to make a particular part of it easier. With age, the codes stamped on the various ioProx and AWID fobs wears off. With nobody on site to meet people and read the FOB via software, my only recourse is to make people meet me at a specific time or make repeated trips to the site to determine these FOB codes.

I wonder if there is any pre-made product to read these FOB codes? It would not need to be any more than a proximity reader and a simple LCD display to show the FOB code when a FOB is swiped. A discussion on Reddit suggested I could build one using a Raspberry Pi and a particular piece of hardware to read the FOBs, but I have neither the time nor the skill for it. This is a common enough problem that certainly a solution already exists?

Any ideas?

https://www.rfideas.com/products/analyzers/pcprox-card-analyzer

This is a start, although more money than I hoped. I was also hoping to find something with a simple alphanumeric display on it (i.e. a standalone unit with a cheap fourteen segment LCD display).

I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to set something up with an old laptop in a locked cabinet, a script, a small screen outside, and the dongle hidden behind an ABS panel or something with a USB extension cable. Problem is I'd have to set it up anew and in different ways for every site.

As an upside, it claims to support AWID, HID, and ioProx, which is pretty much all of the systems I need to be able to read - assuming it handles ALL technologies from those companies, new and old.

I've done some searching based on this suggestion, but can't find much else except the Proxmark3. Any other ideas out there?