Sign in to follow this  
smcctv

URGENT: Sharing Video \ Power from one camera to another

Hi all,

I am going to do a upgrade tomorrow and need to know if i can extend the power and video going from one camera to another which will be positioned 4 feet away? as the previos camera is faulty and the video\power cable has been embedded behind the wall and sealed.

Do i just use a T piece to share the video? what do i use to extend the power.

I cannot put a new cable in as its a new build and they have requested that i cannot make hole to the building and want the cheapest option available to them.

I am aware its not the best way to fix this, but what the customer wants.

Your advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Vic

Is there any issue with using a simple 1 to 2 power splitter? It would mean needing more amperage but this is done everyday with smaller systems.

A T-connector would be my guess for the video but I've only had luck with those over short distances (maybe 30 feet from cameras to DVR).

A T-connector would be my guess for the video but I've only had luck with those over short distances (maybe 30 feet from cameras to DVR).

U should not ever use " T " connector for video

T is bad idea ...... But for what you are saying .... SHARE video ????

Then you need what is called a mule

This allows you to run upto 8 cameras down one coax cable with power if needed

If the previous camera is faulty, why even leave it hooked up? Just move power and video cables from the faulty camera to the new camera.

Hi All,

Many thanks for your replies.

As the previous installer had embedded the cables behind the brick work and cemented it.

I ended up loosening that brick and managed to get to the existing cabling to connect to the new camera. It was a mission to do but its done now.

Yes Tom, i have seen those Mules and will keep it in mind for future issues like this. Pricey piece of kit when alot of my clients want cheapest jobs but the highest specs...lol

Thanks guys

Vic