jkn

HD-SDI System for Home

Can someone please recommend a reputable online site where I can buy a great HD-SDI DVR 8 channel and HD-SDI 2mp+ 1080p camera dome or bullet. I've looked through so many sites and DVR prices range very and so do cameras its hard to tell if the cameras are good or just over-priced.

For example, where online can i buy hikvision hd-sdi in US?

Thanks!

-J

Can someone please recommend a reputable online site where I can buy a great HD-SDI DVR 8 channel and HD-SDI 2mp+ 1080p camera dome or bullet. I've looked through so many sites and DVR prices range very and so do cameras its hard to tell if the cameras are good or just over-priced.

Thanks!

-J

Buying Hikvision direct will be tough unless you have a resale certificate / tax ID.

Forget HDSDI, really... go for IP.

If you already have all the cabling in place, I would go for HDCVI or HDTVI. If you have to lay all new cabling, go IP and UTP cable.

If you already have all the cabling in place, I would go for HDCVI or HDTVI. If you have to lay all new cabling, go IP and UTP cable.

Can you please explain why HD-SDI are not better than IP and HD-CVI/HD-TVI? For home, around 4 cameras would fit and cabling distance is not that long. As to cable condition, HD-SDI is more robust than HD-CVI, or TVI for 1080P.

Can you please explain why HD-SDI are not better than IP and HD-CVI/HD-TVI? For home, around 4 cameras would fit and cabling distance is not that long. As to cable condition, HD-SDI is more robust than HD-CVI, or TVI for 1080P.

My own personal experience with HDSDI has taught me to hate it because of it's unfathomable poor reliability. I am sure their are models that exist out there that work just fine, but I've never found one. The fact that manufacturers are dropping production of it, and distributors have been trying to offload it at a severely discounted price is a pretty strong testament to how the industry, as a whole, feels about it.

Even if I could see them as a reliable option, IP cameras are just more versatile. I only lean towards the AHD/HDCVI/HDTVI systems when IP isn't in someones budget, and I've all but abandoned SD analog.

If you have coax use CVI or TVI. If you have cat cable use IP

I would stay away from HD_SDI at this point as TVI and CVI have many more features "including up the coax" control

That being said I have a some 4 channel HDSDI DVRS and cameras laying around that we never sold that I am looking to get rid of.

Thanks Don and Wireguy,

As we use HD-SDI cameras in our Lab and love its video quality, we thought it would be very popular.

And there are some chipset makers for HD-SDI 1080P Receivers, 4 Ch decoder in one chip, Techpoint(USA), Intersil(USA), Magnivision (China) etc.,working hard to improve its capturing performance more robust.

Anyway, we would keep your advices in our notes.

I do not think it is worth the price. Not even close. And I have to admit that when I first heard about HDCVI I felt the same as with HDSDI, that it would go nowhere, but the price being closer to analog makes it a good option. I see that I am not the only one that feels this way...

So what are some Reputable sites you would buy a HD-SDI or HD-CVI Cameras and DVR?

Thanks!

Thanks!

-J

Hi Jkn,

I think its against the forum rules to give out sites and since this is my first post, i wouldn't like to be banned.

I think the best bet for you would be to buy "a sample order" from China.

From my observations at the Security China 2014 - I did notice that the SDI variant is clearer than the CVI & TVI variations AND ALSO - entry level IP. I was quite shocked at this.

I did enquire about the differences between the CVI & TVI but I didn't get a clear answer - "Different transmission chip" is the answer that I got.

I would think it all boils down to the company that initially developed the technology - CVI:Dahua & TVI:HikVision. I could be wrong though!

With all that said and done, and with "improvements" in the pipeline, for home and small business - 1-8 cameras, I will install HDCVI systems because of the cost to clarity ratio. On larger and corporate installs, I will stick to Milestone on the backend as I have come to learn that there is a reason they are "expensive". Remember, you get what you pay for !