rory

GeoVision Video Source Sizes

Is Deinterlaced Quality Better or Worse  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Is Deinterlaced Quality Better or Worse

• Deinterlaced is Better
    • Deinterlaced is Worse

i have another client though whos De is better, P4 intel etc ..

How can that be?

I have tried everything and Rory you said aswell that the De-Interlace is poorer quality.

What am i doing wrong?

In my GV250 on a Via, sure .. Ill test it on an intell this weekend .. then If I can ill get down to the GV1480 machine and test that to see which is best, on that one im pretty sure de-interlace was better, that or it was done to get rid of the lines ...

we'll see .. maybe some of the GV builders can show some images of GV800's etc . Anyway, ill see what I can find out .. my Video Card in this PC is only a 64MB right now too, i have 5 more video cards I can test .. and 3 PCs ... once i hook those PCs up ..

Rory

Just reviewing the GeoVision manual and found that they list video recording quality settings from highest to lowest:

720x480 best, 720x480de, 640x480 and 640 deinterlaced the worst.

So the answer is: Interlaced is better quality on the GeoVision Card.

Or do you think they were making use of progressive scan? Geo supports IP cameras remember. Obviously content that was never interlaced will be better then the best interlaced content deinterlaced.

EDIT: I guess geo still doesn't support IP cams so I have no idea why they list their qualities like that.

One thing is for sure, I could see a huge difference between the 640x480de and the interlaced version. The deinterlaced video looked very distorted.

The weird part is when I compared Mpeg4 to FastMpeg 4, the Mpeg4 looked better and took up less hard drive space.

I am curious to hear others experiences.

These results really show the differences in the CODECs that are being used. I hope their implementation of the H.264 codec will be a good one?

Another thing... How do they show the video on a PC monitor without deinterlacing it? PC monitors are all progressive scan and every analog camera I have ever seen is interlaced. It's getting deinterlaced somewhere or the captures would be every other field instead of full frame as they appear.

It wuld be nice if a GV rep would show up and fill us all in.

analogue is always progressive via vga.

Edited by Guest

You would probably have to send them an Email.

Maybe someone on the forum knows the answer. Scott knows Geo very well. Maybe he knows that answer? Although I don't see him on the forum as much lately.

He must be out earning money.

Well without having to know the exact technical reasons why. I suggest each person test for themselves and see what works best for them.

I am now using 640x480 Interlaced using the Mpeg4 CODEC, not the FastMpeg4 Deinterlaced anymore.

The fast Mpeg4, Mpeg4 and Wavelet, in Geo, isnt much difference in quality, but a huge difference in Image Sizes. The new Geo 8.0 will also have Mpeg4 ASP and H.264, with H.264 max recording at 240fps, but much smaller of an image.

Rory

I am now using 640x480 Interlaced using the Mpeg4 CODEC, not the FastMpeg4 Deinterlaced anymore.

How do record audio if you are using 640x480 Interlaced? or are you not recording audio.

I am not recording audio, but you can activate it under camera / audio install located under the configuration menu.

I am not recording audio, but you can activate it under camera / audio install located under the configuration menu.

What i was trying to say was: Is it impossible to record audio when using 640x480 Interlaced (Not De-Interlace)?

I think its just a geovision hardware limitation since Interlace is better quality than De-Interlace.

I understand now.

I wasn't aware of that fact that they limited audio support for only specific recording choices. If audio is important to you, you will have to choose one of the supported formats. I don't know of any work around or if this will be supported in Version 8. (If you have a card that supports Version 8 )

If anybody knows different please chime in.