goodolick

What do you make of this cat6?

Anyone see a problem with ordering this cat6?

http://www.amazon.com/Aurum-Cables-Ethernet-Network-Cable/dp/B00CP7UWKY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1422061775&sr=8-3&keywords=bulk+cat6

As many of you know, I made the mistake of hastily ordering an analog system and did'nt do enough research. I am very familiar with computer networking on a logical layer, but, not so much physical. As I make my switch to the IP age, last thing I want to do is make another CCTV buying mistake, so I am going to keep asking the forum before I make purchases.

Thanks!

Thanks 01sporty! I started reading more and dont think I want the CCA. If I am going to do it, I am going to do it right, I will spring for the good wire.

Yes dont waste your time with CCA...buy your cable from a reliable source as well.

Thanks Boogieman... I am going to avoid the CCA, but why would you consider Amazon not to be reliable? I have never had a single problem with Amazon Prime.

Yes dont waste your time with CCA...buy your cable from a reliable source as well.

Thanks Boogieman... I am going to avoid the CCA, but why would you consider Amazon not to be reliable? I have never had a single problem with Amazon Prime.

Its not amazon..its the amazon sellers...for example the cca cable you linked to is not sold by amazon..they only stock and ship it ....Sold by CABLE-MIX and Fulfilled by Amazon. Even cable sold directly by amazon..you still need to buy a reliable brand..

I dont trust random sellers..they may claim solid copper but then its not...

Buy from Monoprice directly or via amazon you can purchase monoprice, cable matters, or cables to go...

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm trying to pick a NVR and cameras I wasn't going to give any thought to wires. I am kinda squeamish about making my own cables. I had not so great luck with coaxial compression, but I didn't had a stripper, only the compression tool. The end result was wasted connectors, and a messy looking cable. When it comes to CAT5e or CAT6 I have two things that echo in my head. The first is when a tech guy spend 11 hours at my work running a Ethernet cable and when he was done it didn't work. He came back the next day for another 3 hours. [Then the cable was only used three weeks and the computer was moved I love massive corporations!] The other thing that echos in my head was when I was pricing wire length and the tools needed. The guy said, "yeah, it's cheaper this way, if you can ever get it to work. I just buy the pre-made ones." Those three things together make me all

So I ask, is there anything wrong with the store bought ones? And what should I look for if they are 'ok'.

But really is making you cable all that hard. I'll be running, at most, 75 metres (225'). The guy at work was running cable in a 50,000 square foot store, from one corner to the far side corner, and not on the shortest angle. The guy at the store was a big box Depot store guy.

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm trying to pick a NVR and cameras I wasn't going to give any thought to wires. I am kinda squeamish about making my own cables. I had not so great luck with coaxial compression, but I didn't had a stripper, only the compression tool. The end result was wasted connectors, and a messy looking cable. When it comes to CAT5e or CAT6 I have two things that echo in my head. The first is when a tech guy spend 11 hours at my work running a Ethernet cable and when he was done it didn't work. He came back the next day for another 3 hours. [Then the cable was only used three weeks and the computer was moved I love massive corporations!] The other thing that echos in my head was when I was pricing wire length and the tools needed. The guy said, "yeah, it's cheaper this way, if you can ever get it to work. I just buy the pre-made ones." Those three things together make me all

So I ask, is there anything wrong with the store bought ones? And what should I look for if they are 'ok'.

But really is making you cable all that hard. I'll be running, at most, 75 metres (225'). The guy at work was running cable in a 50,000 square foot store, from one corner to the far side corner, and not on the shortest angle. The guy at the store was a big box Depot store guy.

The benefit of making your own is that you limit the size of the holes you need to make to run the cable...also the premade stuff is generally stranded cable the type used for patch cables or cables that will be moved so it less susceptible to breakage..solid cable will conduct a bit better which is beneficial for long runs...however, if you get good quality cat6 you will be fine...

I would just get quality bulk cable and learn to do it..remember to follow the T-568B wiring diagram....(there is a reason that they are in that order, Ive seen folks just try and match the ends up and while it might work for very short runs, it doesnt work for longer runs and should not be done).

Hi. Unlike compression fit RJ45 ends are cheap ( buy in bulk ) and just practice over and over on say a foot of cat cable ... And you will see how easy it is.

Most people make the mistake of buying cheap crimpers.

Spends on good crimps will not be a waste of money

Infact there going to be a tool that is needed as part of your home tool kit

As home automation is expensive at the moment it is starting to find its way onto home fittings as standard like fridge and cookers .. Light fittings Hvac systems garage door openers.

It's also makes you see that yes a good quality reel of cat cable is expensive and it is if your not going to use all for your camera system ...... But while you run camera cables run extra into places you think might need network later

Run feeds to bedroom cupboards ... Kitchen area ... Garage area .... Network radio is also available ..... Use cat cable in loft for speakers

Not only are you spending on cables for cctv system you are also networking your home ( good sales point if you ever put home on market)

Tom, can you link me to some crimpers that are worth a poo?

As part of my CCTV project, I also plan on installing network drops through out the house. These will either be brand new runs, or repurposing POTS drops that exist in the house. My house was build with CAT5 for the POTS lines, so I should be able to leverage those cables

Tom, can you link me to some crimpers that are worth a poo?

As part of my CCTV project, I also plan on installing network drops through out the house. These will either be brand new runs, or repurposing POTS drops that exist in the house. My house was build with CAT5 for the POTS lines, so I should be able to leverage those cables

Hi this is same set we use ........ Can't see on picture but it also has cable strip for inner and outer cable

But link shows full network kit ..... Good price

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-Cable-Tester-Crimp-Crimper-100-RJ45-CAT5-CAT5e-Connector-Plug-Network-Tool-Kit/508036221.html

Hi. Unlike compression fit RJ45 ends are cheap ( buy in bulk ) and just practice over and over on say a foot of cat cable ... And you will see how easy it is.

Well, it does get easier the more you do it but I'm not sure I'd ever call it 'easy'.

If you haven't already, get something like this:

hhttp://ttp://www.ebay.com/itm/RJ11-RJ12-RJ45-CAT5-UTP-NETWORK-LAN-USB-CABLE-TESTER-/111317477857?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19eb09e9e1

If the camera isn't immediately found, eliminating a bad cable as one of the variables is more than worth the cost of the tool.

Another trick I found very useful is to buy a length of 3/8" copper tubing.

When going through walls or floors or across spans you don't want to walk or crawl across, you use the copper tube.

Examples: I needed to string cable across the attic of my shop and didn't want to wade through the insulation. I uncoiled the tube out over the top of the insulation then pushed the cable through. When done, I pulled the tube off the cable.

I had another place where I needed to go through the floor. Again lots of insulation to get through. I cut a 1 ft. piece of tube, flared the end so it couldn't drop through the 3/8" hole I had drilled, then pushed it through the floor. When I got to the underside of the floor, it was easy to find my hole and push the cable through it.

Just be sure you debur the tubing so it doesn't shave the cable.