Sign in to follow this  
Numb-nuts

WHOS A SILLY BOY THEN?

TODAY I MADE A MOST EMBARRASSING ERROR

I drilled through a customer's Sky TV (satellite service) cables. Fair enough they were berried in the wall's plaster just above the skirting,

I suppose I should be grateful it wasn't a mains cable? I was drilling from the outside in since the wall face is pebble-dashed ( a sort of cement render finished in small stones embedded into the surface) and going outwards on render would risk blow out of abig chunk of the render. The client was very understanding and was happy when I left since I prioritized restoring his Sky TV cables. A sort of twinax RG58 not the same RG58 used in 2 way radio, much thinner. I found the cable in B & Q and the f type connectors in Maplin fortunatly.

The biggest damage is to my pride, and perhaps pocket. That Philex Twinax is EXPENSIVE.

Under the pebble dash is 3 inches of insulation board, that's a problem will have to solve tomorrow fixing to the masonry through 3 inch foam board.

I am planning on using 110mm hammer in fixings anything you've used that worked well and can recommend I'd be grateful.

LESSON LEARNED...

Pebble dash rendering.........................................Hammer in fixings

264467_1.jpg264467_2.jpg

I was just grateful it wasn't a mains cable. That would have meant digging it out of the wall and reworking it and then a replaster and a re paper. The thought alone is enough to to send shivers up my spine.

Anyway, the hammer in fixings worked a treat, so I am a little happier today.

We're abouts was you working, I'm a sky engineer so could of fixed it for you, we always drill inside out, I take it off hammer last 3 inches or so and never burst the render, you've got a higher risk of bursting the plaster off as it's not as thick

I was working in Stockport, and I think the fault was with the council contractors who installed the outer insulation boards not with the sky installer. Or I think a former owner could have installed this cable as I think you Sky guys use compression connectors and these were all screw-ons. Thanks for the offer though.