glnv

RJ45 Surge Protection?

Hi, I was wondering is it necessary to install a RJ45 surge protector such as the Tripp Lite DTEL2 2-Line for my outside cams? I live in a mobile home, not sure that makes a difference, but, I intend to run my CAT5e (direct burial type cable) under the floor, across to the skirts at the perimeter and under to outside straight up along the wall (no, I don’t like drilling holes in my eaves, so, this works best for me). I’ve heard some people say surge protection is a must when running wires outside, but, I’m not running wires to another building, only about seven feet straight vertical from the ground up almost to the eaves. Thank you for your input.

Hi, I was wondering is it necessary to install a RJ45 surge protector such as the Tripp Lite DTEL2 2-Line for my outside cams? I live in a mobile home, not sure that makes a difference, but, I intend to run my CAT5e (direct burial type cable) under the floor, across to the skirts at the perimeter and under to outside straight up along the wall (no, I don’t like drilling holes in my eaves, so, this works best for me). I’ve heard some people say surge protection is a must when running wires outside, but, I’m not running wires to another building, only about seven feet straight vertical from the ground up almost to the eaves. Thank you for your input.

Necessary is up to you. Do you experience a lot of lightning strikes? If not, it's probably not worth your time. It's also not a simple process if you're not familiar with things like running grounding cables, grounding rods, structural steal, etc...

Actually, it's really not even a simple process if you do know what you're doing.

Not a lot of lightning strikes where I live and I don't know a whole lot about grounding stuff other than what I learned from researching how to ground my TV antenna.

Not a lot of lightning strikes where I live and I don't know a whole lot about grounding stuff other than what I learned from researching how to ground my TV antenna.

Just simply running cable outdoors isn't a reason to install surge devices. I wouldn't waste the time or money if I were you.

If it's cheap, I would do it. Even a distant lightning strike can come in from the ground and fry your camera and dvr in a second. Just be sure the filter is also grounded properly.

Okay Okay Its's CHEAP

happy now?

Now now numb nuts play nice with the other forum members

What he is trying to say is that those cheap surge protectors offer only the illusion of surge protection. You have to spend some decent money to get decent surge protection.

You are more likely to get a surge coming from an external source like up your power or phone line than into external Cat-5 cables on your home.

Spend your money on a decent UPS with surge protection. It will also keep your DVR/NVR running in a blackout.

I had a really good lightning hit recently. Nothing was fried but I needed to rebuild one of the drives in my NVR because it corrupted some things. That was with a decent surge protection UPS in the middle.

Okay Okay Its's CHEAP

happy now?

Now now numb nuts play nice with the other forum members

What he is trying to say is that those cheap surge protectors offer only the illusion of surge protection. You have to spend some decent money to get decent surge protection.

You are more likely to get a surge coming from an external source like up your power or phone line than into external Cat-5 cables on your home.

Spend your money on a decent UPS with surge protection. It will also keep your DVR/NVR running in a blackout.

I had a really good lightning hit recently. Nothing was fried but I needed to rebuild one of the drives in my NVR because it corrupted some things. That was with a decent surge protection UPS in the middle.

They're definitely no lightning arrestor unless they have some sort of grounding chain. But one on each end of the cat5 to the camera and dvr definitely can't hurt at that price, especially with the cable being buried.