Joeinamillion

Has anyone ever scene review torture tests someplace?

Coming up with the subject line wasn't easy, but anyway...

I've scene lots of reviews for a lot of cameras, but they seem to review only features, and video quality.

I'm interested in how cameras hold up to the elements. Living in Canada the temperature goes from -32C at night in the winter (and down to -43C windchill) (usually only once a year), to 36C in the summer during the day (43C with the humidex) (again, only a few times a year). I've only got cheap junk cameras right now, and they have worked through those temps, but the IR LEDs are not like new.

I'm really interested in knowing how with cameras with moving parts do in the cold (Motorized vari-focal, PTZ).

Where I used to work they installed an indoor Samsung (analogue) dome camera in a walk in freezer (20 feet by 50 feet by 8 feet). The freezer was set to -20C. The camera was on the ceiling right in front of the blower (I'm guessing a windchill of -60C, or just plain "minus YIKES!"). When the door was opened the top of the freezer would warm up to 21C. When the door closed, the blowers came on and right back down to YIKES! again. (In the summer when the door was opened the humidity created a thick fog, and the freezer would go up to whatever it was in the back room (35C+). With the beating this poor thing took I was surprised it lasted... right up until the roof leaked in a rain storm and the poor camera was drowned, about 20 months.

You would really have to make sure there is a built in heater and blower. I have installed lots of motorized verifocal cameras in Canada, the last project i was on was on Norway House, MB. It gets Really cold there.

If i was you, i would go with Pro Series Hikvision cameras. Just make sure they have built in heater and fan.

You're asking a lot for someone to professionally publish something like that. It's a big time/money investment for a company to publish results in video form of a torture test. Privately, you have all the time in the world, but no one wants to burn their own money up by purchasing a camera knowing they're going to beat the crap out of it.

We torture test everything we sell. For us to put those tests in video format would potentially mean editing hundreds of hours of video down to a 3-5 minute time lapsed segment for the sole purpose of making someone feel better about buying a camera that they're likely going to buy from someone else anyway if they're just stumbling into the video on YouTube.

A review like the one you posted isn't worth anything. It's fascinating that it can withstand blows from a rubber mallet and a 2x4, but there's nothing related to operating conditions whatsoever. I could care less about IK ratings or vandalism tests; if someone wants your camera disabled, they'll find a way...like spray paint...

Edit: This is the closest thing to a torture test I've ever seen someone publish. It was done by a forum member:

You're asking a lot for someone to professionally publish something like that. It's a big time/money investment for a company to publish results in video form of a torture test. Privately, you have all the time in the world, but no one wants to burn their own money up by purchasing a camera knowing they're going to beat the crap out of it.

Don Stephens, I didn`t mean I wanted some one to make videos, just asking if anyone had seen any. And, yes, privately is the most likely place for such a video to be made (Such as the one you shared).

We torture test everything we sell. For us to put those tests in video format would potentially mean editing hundreds of hours of video down to a 3-5 minute time lapsed segment for the sole purpose of making someone feel better about buying a camera that they're likely going to buy from someone else anyway if they're just stumbling into the video on YouTube.

It`s extremely good to hear you torture test what you sell, I would not have thought that. I agree for your company to make a video would not serve you well, however, for a manufacturer to do this might help in sales.

A review like the one you posted isn't worth anything. It's fascinating that it can withstand blows from a rubber mallet and a 2x4, but there's nothing related to operating conditions whatsoever. I could care less about IK ratings or vandalism tests; if someone wants your camera disabled, they'll find a way...like spray paint...

The link I posted was only an example. that videos only purpose seems to be that a dome camera (Brand unknown) can take a beating. I also agree that if someone wants to defeat any camera, it can be done. In fact I can only think of one place where a camera would be installed where someone might try to bash it in... and that would be a high school, by a student, for fun.

Edit: This is the closest thing to a torture test I've ever seen someone publish. It was done by a forum member:

Thanks, this is much more like something that I find interesting and useful. The only thing better than a test is real life stories, like the one I shared about what some cameras go through. There must be videos, photos, or such. Ones of cameras surviving fires, heat, water, ice, high winds, hail, etc.

the below photo is a great pic of how a camera can stand up. The glass dome is pretty scuffed up, but if it was cleaned, and the camera still works.

file.php?id=6463

That image I found on this forum posted by Sawbones in the More for the Installation Hall of Shame thread, page 10.