sirram

Problem with Camera Positioning

I have bought and installed a Swann Wi-Fi CCTV system (2 cameras + NVR). Product Code is SWNVA-460AH2.

Everything is working fine during the day. Both cameras give excellent picture quality and motion detection works well.

But, at night, one camera is picking up an unknown source of light. I positioned this camera on a side wall looking towards a patio door which is on the same wall. The camera is therefore looking along the wall (rather than away from it) and the brickwork is therefore only a couple of inches away from the lens. The apparent light is so bright that, at night, it doesn't detect movement outside the patio door (which is in the gloom beyond this mysterious bright light).

Is the close proximity of the brickwork confusing the camera's night vision? And, if so, is there a solution?

Is the close proximity of the brickwork confusing the camera's night vision? And, if so, is there a solution?

It would help if you post a picture of what you are trying to explain. But it does seem the "mistery light source" will be the infrared from the camera being reflected on that wall. If that is the case, the solution is to point the camera away from the wall.

Here is a view from just before 4am this morning and also a daytime view from earlier that day.

Since then, I have pointed the camera slightly leftwards and will check again after dark.

Unfortunately this has already raised a different problem. A bush, swaying in the breeze, is now in view, which means the camera is recording non-stop because of the movement.

1779070217_NighttimeView.thumb.jpg.4a7d63f69aa8fb97265a779441040cdc.jpg

608591448_DaytimeView.thumb.jpg.f43a996482be817265f00f1b5e10431f.jpg

Here is a view from just before 4am this morning and also a daytime view from earlier that day.

Since then, I have pointed the camera slightly leftwards and will check again after dark.

Unfortunately this has already raised a different problem. A bush, swaying in the breeze, is now in view, which means the camera is recording non-stop because of the movement.

Your system should have settings so to set areas in the FOV to record movement only the areas you wish. So, turn the camera away from the wall, then set the area to only detect motion to in the area you want.

Move the camera even more away from the wall, you do not weant to be recording the wall at all.

And check the motion detection setings on your unit. You should be able to create movement detection zones, so you can just remove the bush from the area where movement is detected.

I'm grateful for your advice. Unfortunately, Swann's monitoring software called "SwannView Link" comes with no online help whatsoever. Nor do they have a downloadable user manual (PDF). I phoned Swann yesterday and they confirmed they have no documented help.

Their cameras are great but, without documentation, I haven't been able to figure out how to screen out unwanted "noise".

I'm grateful for your advice. Unfortunately, Swann's monitoring software called "SwannView Link" comes with no online help whatsoever. Nor do they have a downloadable user manual (PDF). I phoned Swann yesterday and they confirmed they have no documented help.

Their cameras are great but, without documentation, I haven't been able to figure out how to screen out unwanted "noise".

Hi. You don't have unwanted noise.

Your problem is IR from your camera is bouncing off your wall ..

Like all ready stated you need to turn your camera view away from the wall

Try mounting the camera to the top of a pvc outdoor utility box.

This should "add" some height and help reduce IR reflections.

Separate IR illumination is the best.

Disconnect internal IR board and add separate IR illumination away from camera.

Moths, flies and spiders love IR leds...

Here is a URL to the manufactures site and the page for your equipment:

http://www.swann.com/au/swnva-460ah2#

on that page click on "Product Downloads" (last Tab on the right), click to download the "460 Micro NVR Wizard Quick Start Guide". It's a PDF. I suggest downloading and printing all of these, and keeping them in a safe place, for future reference (eg. under the NVR).

Move the camera FoV away from the wall (as said by some one in a prior post, you don't need to see the wall), then with the information in the image below you should be able to setup your camera to not record the moving bush.

Here is a image capture of page 14 of the quick start guide for your NVR. I took this from the this URL :

Here is an idea of how your FoV should like with the camera adjusted and where the "motion detection area" should be.

As a tip, watch the live view to see how much the bush moves and set the " motion detection area" a little out side of that. You may need to adjust the area if you do this on a calm day. If you use the window pane (i hope that's the correct spelling) as I did for you "motion detection area", you should be fine.

swann.thumb.JPG.7e944fdfd3d6ad96cf6c0a09dffd3e1d.JPG

sample.thumb.jpg.ebbcc7c6367a9559cd919dec1dfc1ec7.jpg

Hi Joeinamillion,

You were kind enough to track down the documentation but it's not a user guide, just the same poor quality quick-start guides that came in the box.

There is a good reason why I missed the "motion detection" controls in SwannView Link. The leaflet says it's under Menu / Motion. In fact, it's under Menu / Device Settings / Alarm / Motion.

The software is a real pain. The leaflet says to download it from www.swann.com/swann_appl. But there is no such URL. Ok, so I went to the Swann home page and entered "SwannView Link" in the Search field. Surprise surprise, it didn't appear in the list of hits.

What's also odd is that, when I eventually located the software and installed it, it helpfully put an icon on my Windows 7 Desktop - but when I double-cklicked on the icon, it thought for about 5 seconds but then did nothing. After a few hours of investigation (uninstalling / reinstalling, phoning Swann etc) I discovered that SwannView Link will only start if you right-click on the Desktop icon and select "Run as Administrator". How on earth is one supposed to guess that? (I have an IT background and after hours of frustration, it suddenly occurred to me).

The Swann cameras are great but their documentation is a disgrace. I would never buy anything else from them. I'm still having a great deal of trouble with other aspects of fine tuning but whenever I look at the leaflets, they simply don't cover the points - let alone the fact that the screenshots are nothing like the actual software.

As an example today, one of my cameras won't "Playback". It works fine in "Preivew", so I know it's connected and talking to the NVR. But why won't it Playback? The Swann leaflets provide absolutely no clues whatsoever. That's why I wanted a user guide.

Anyway, rant over. Thank you all for your helpful comments. I think it is going to take quite a few weeks of sleuthing to figure everything else out.

Hi Joeinamillion,

You were kind enough to track down the documentation but it's not a user guide, just the same poor quality quick-start guides that came in the box.

I thought maybe you got a box without one, and then ended up with a useless support rep too. When I found that quick start guide I was surprised that was all there was for download. I guess Swann aimed that system to a demographic that wouldn't read a real manual? (Or maybe they have what I call "IBM arrogance" - I learned a lot about that when I used OS/2 [iBM made lots of hardware and software, then never documented how to use any of it].)

There is a good reason why I missed the "motion detection" controls in SwannView Link. The leaflet says it's under Menu / Motion. In fact, it's under Menu / Device Settings / Alarm / Motion.

This falls under "subject to change without notice".

The software is a real pain. The leaflet says to download it from http://www.swann.com/swann_appl. But there is no such URL. Ok, so I went to the Swann home page and entered "SwannView Link" in the Search field. Surprise surprise, it didn't appear in the list of hits.

This might fall under "it's the thought that counts" meaning "we thought we'd get around to it". It might be on the site some place... an URL "easter egg". Both Swann and Q-See brand systems seem to have poor documentation, poor support, features that are buggy.

What's also odd is that, when I eventually located the software and installed it, it helpfully put an icon on my Windows 7 Desktop - but when I double-cklicked on the icon, it thought for about 5 seconds but then did nothing. After a few hours of investigation (uninstalling / reinstalling, phoning Swann etc) I discovered that SwannView Link will only start if you right-click on the Desktop icon and select "Run as Administrator". How on earth is one supposed to guess that? (I have an IT background and after hours of frustration, it suddenly occurred to me).

Luckily for me my computers give a pop-up telling me it must be run with administrator privileges, and an ok/cancel option. But I have had what you've mentioned too. And looking for it in the "Task Manager" is really frustrating, if it's there 5 times or not at all... or if it shows up and then goes away.

I had a pretty good idea you know enough about what you where talking about from your very first post in the thread, I could sense your frustration too. You might want to keep a record of what you do to get this system working so if you have to do it again you don't have to try to recall what you did. <- that is advice I give to you, but never use myself. I collect frustration, my comb collects my hair.

The Swann cameras are great but their documentation is a disgrace. I would never buy anything else from them. I'm still having a great deal of trouble with other aspects of fine tuning but whenever I look at the leaflets, they simply don't cover the points - let alone the fact that the screenshots are nothing like the actual software.

A lot of retail box branded CCTV systems get similar reviews as what you've said above. I have three wired analogue Q-See systems (all soon to be retired), each one had it's strange Quirk-See-ness about it. I also am surprised that I have not found a forum like this one but solely dedicated too retail, DYI, homeuse, etc CCTV. I've been looking (not hard mind you) since I bought my first system in 2008.

As an example today, one of my cameras won't "Playback". It works fine in "Preivew", so I know it's connected and talking to the NVR. But why won't it Playback? The Swann leaflets provide absolutely no clues whatsoever. That's why I wanted a user guide.

Swann equipment is mostly rebranded. The NVR might be something Swann designed themselves, but the cameras are likely rebranded. I don't have any experience with wireless cams, but i've read someplace of this forum if you google search the cameras MAC address you should find out who the OEM is, and that might give you real documentation. I guess the NVR is a receiver and has a MAC address too. I've never had any reason to learn about MAC addresses, as I'm sure you can tell.

And that picture I made for turning your camera and setting the mask, I kinda knew you knew what was being said, but that question gets asked about every two or three weeks. Hopefully that image will help others understand how to correct the IR issue, and moving objects.

Anyway, rant over. Thank you all for your helpful comments. I think it is going to take quite a few weeks of sleuthing to figure everything else out.

I hope you get it all worked out. Keep looking around here, your answers might be in some other thread. Oh, and something that should be packed in every box of electrical equipment is patience, but it's not.

The answer is easy and does not matter what manual is looked at this problem will not be found in it

Unknown light sorce is IR bounce back from the wall

(IR can't be seen by eye) and I think the op is not seeing that point

Thanks. I did resolve that problem immediately this forum pointed it out. Pointing the camera slightly away from the wall removed the glare immediately.

Then, as I said, bushes came into view which, in turned caused the camera to detect non-stop motion because the bushes were swaying in the breeze. I fixed that once Joeinamillion told me how to. The reason I missed the existance of this facility in the software was that the set-up leaflet bears no resemblance to the software itself. Once I knew the facility must be there somewhere, I drilled down through every set-up option until I found it.

As I hit each problem, I am left fumbling in the dark due to inadequate user documentation.

As before, my grateful thanks for everyone's help.

The cameras have settled down quite nicely now. Motion Detection is working well during the day time, and most nights as well.

However, there is still a problem some nights. The cameras periodically detect movement which (on replay) looks like meteor showers (random streaks of light going across the screen).

I've tried to grab an example in this screenshot. It's only a "still" but you will hopefully get the idea.

What's causing this? It's not the time of year for lots of insects - and I'm not aware of any alien spaceships in the area. Once this starts, it seems to go on for hours.

640219695_Streaksoflight.thumb.jpg.e2cb4eaf8a0da2f490a96da858bceced.jpg

The cameras have settled down quite nicely now. Motion Detection is working well during the day time, and most nights as well.

However, there is still a problem some nights. The cameras periodically detect movement which (on replay) looks like meteor showers (random streaks of light going across the screen).

I've tried to grab an example in this screenshot. It's only a "still" but you will hopefully get the idea.

What's causing this? It's not the time of year for lots of insects - and I'm not aware of any alien spaceships in the area. Once this starts, it seems to go on for hours.

I install two analogue cameras that do this too (I don't use motion detection though). I suspect this is dust, or pollen. I can't see it when I look, but the cameras IRs seem to reflect it and the cameras see it. I have no solution, only a guess that some type of IR cut filter might help?

If it is pollen, you are about to discover it's out there form about March to December. Out door allergies the other months are covered by indoor allergies . And some months overlap

I have no solution, only a guess that some type of IR cut filter might help?

The answer turned out to be quite simple. The camera is looking at a vast expanse of brick wall and flag stones. Most of this doesn't need to be under "motion detect" at all. Assuming the local burgar walked around the side of the house, just his feet should be enough to detect him. In other words, I have turned "motion detect" off except where I reckon the burglar's feet and lower legs would be.

Unless he is Spiderman or perhaps an Indian Fakir (who can levitate), one can pretty well switch off 95% of the view from motion detect and still pick up any human movement.

Since doing this, the amount of false detection (due to dust, pollen, insects or whatever) has reduced dramatically.

Thought I'd come back and ask you experts another question. The wireless cameras have been running fine for a month now so I decided to add a third one on the other side of the house.

Unfortunately, the NVR is failing to detect it due to a blind spot. If I move the NVR to another room in the house, the third camera is soon picked up but I lose connection with one of the first two.

The answer will be to buy some kind of signal booster. If any of you have experience of these, I wondered what tips, tricks and pitfalls I should look out for.

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but I am in the same boat as sirram, for the most part. I apologize in advance for the length of this post.

I bought the NVR 460 system (without the alarm and added motion detector, Swann SWNVK-460KH2-US) for my sons place (he is handicapped) and went thru a serious learning curve, as it was the first system ever that I have used. Had a bad camera, excellent support as they paid shipping both ways (as they should for a brand new system) and the new camera works well. Took ALOT of fiddling with the motion to get it as right as it could be. In the end, I think it is an absolutely wonderful system! The pic provided is similar to the issue sirram had, being mounted close to the brick. Fortunately for me, no ill wanted alerts but every wanted alert!

So, I liked his system so well, after my van had been broken into in my driveway one night, I immediately ordered the same system for my business/home. Let me tell you, this has been a friggen nightmare! I thought since I had 'experience' with my sons, that mine would be a snap and not take so long to get correct...how wrong I was. I am sorry I have kept it past the 30 day return period to Amazon.

The base unit HDD never worked from the get go. After dealing with support, and they knowing I bought 2 of their systems, I had to pay to ship the base unit back...which they lost...and tried telling me they didn't get it. Not only did they get it, I had them sign for it! I had my ducks in a row.

so 15 days after I sent in the bad unit, I got a 'refurbed' base unit that has some serious reception issues. It has gotten to the point that it won't link up to my router that is literally 3 feet away. Antenna on, poor signal, better, 9dbi antenna installed, no change, no antenna at all and you guessed it, zero change.

While all this is going on, 1 of the cameras died. So as of this moment I have a dead camera and a non connecting base unit. But while I am venting, I wanted to ask a question about motion settings.

When I clear the screen, I should only have an 'event' if something walks or moves thru the one box I placed...correct? Any other movement outside of that damn box should not trigger an 'event'. Is this correct? Because I cleared the screen and I get an 'event' when a dang car drives down the street, but not when I walk out in view? But then other times an 'event' is recorded when I am in view?

What I am asking is, is the motion settings in the cameras themselves or in the base unit (NVR)? Today was the last straw. I got a series of 'events' literally one right after another for about 45 minutes then nothing for 1/2 hour then normal operation. I viewed each 'event'...Literally no movement, no shade/sun triggering, no cars driving down the road...just the pic of the driveway and yard.

Any suggestions? Nobody has info on this system and it has been discontinued after 6 months on the market I found out.

Anyone? Anything? Anything at all?

I'd answer if I knew for certain. My guess is that motion detect is handled by the software in the NVR. If it were handled by the camera, the camera would need multiple lenses each of which could be turned on or off.

I too get these pesky "false positives". Nothing detected for hours and then suddenly motion being detected all the time. For me, these mostly occur at night - due to the infra red seeing things that aren't there. (although I still haven't discounted aliens !!)

Your one-square test is interesting. Have you tried not enabling any square at all? If you still get motion detected, that would point to a bug in the software (assuming I am right in saying the software controls this).

A feature I would like to have in my NVR software would be a timer setting (e.g. do NOT record any movement that lasts for less than 5 seconds). Unless my local burglar were Superman, I don't think he could get across my patio and break into the house in less than 5 seconds. In my case, such a facility would stop a lot of the false positives being recorded at night.

The other morning, I found one of my cameras had been recording all night. On examination, a spider had been building a web - fair enough

Weird. I get the spider webs here on my house, but my sons place, nada.

The answer will be to buy some kind of signal booster. If any of you have experience of these, I wondered what tips, tricks and pitfalls I should look out for.
I ended up placing the NVR in the attic...

Now, all 3 cams are picked up immediately without any dropouts as of yet (knock on wood). My only concern is with the heat, will see how long the HDD lasts in that extreme.