Thomas

Code of Conduct

it was not so much the price it was the way he quoted.telling the customer the pricing was done on a per cam basis and per dvr not asking the requiments whatsoever of what the customer wanted. just shocked me.

and to be honest 3.5k for a simple install 4 cam system for example. yeah to me thats a little expensive.

I want to point out a central fact: Advertising is done on the forum via banner ads.

Thats always the killer, you can't have abuse of it but it hinders the community's flow of information if the users feel they can't link to other websites/forums.

Obviously linking back to your own website without a banner ad is a no-no. Thats pretty much universally accepted, people who do it should know better.

From my experience from other boards it's really nice to have a manufacturer's rep as a member, I don't think it should be discouraged. They often have key insight that nobody else has access to.

I think the balance here is pretty weighted towards dealers/installers but I could be totally wrong. You see an end user from time to time but they make their thread, get their support and move on. The personalities here and active day after day will be what make or break this place.

Pretty much sums it up for me.

Its hard sometimes to explain a question or answer without resorting to some sort of link.

Maybe clarification is needed to explain which links can/cant be used.

A lot of it is common sense and this place is a "friendly" community and i see few problems.

I guess a lot depends on "where" this place is headed in terms of advertising.

The mix of regulars seems weighted towards the installer/supplier and i feel the addition of extra "locked" areas will alienate normal users to become a part of the community on a regular basis.

The database of threads is pretty impressive in a short space of time and most questions can be answered by using the "search" facility, this could be pointed out at the headers.

PS frosted (guess you had to be there), lets keep on topic

Just to throw in my $0.02 (plus tax and service charges)...

I don't have a problem with manufacturer reps and the like posting links and even outright propaganda for their products... IF it's in response to someone's question. For example, if I posted a question like, "What's a good PC-based DVR?", I would have no issue with Thomas going to town telling me all the great things about Video Insight complete with links to the website. Placing a limitation on that kind of response serves only to block the information I'm after, and any further questions I may ask ("Yeah, but does it slice bread?") may be useful to someone else as well.

To my thinking, the standard definition of spam applies here: UNSOLICITED, commercial postings, such as some just starting up a thread out of the blue with, "Hey, everyone, come check out this website for my company's great new products!"