fas

Which is the right camera for the job?

now military is way more than 2,000 a camera. And only the camera. no housing nothing. Wish it was that way in the real world

I see one of the problems that is causing the need for more expensive cameras is the low illumination of the area. Why not sub contract an electrician to add exterior lighting. If the longest wall is 30 feet, and your concerned about the area in close proximity to the building, one fixture per wall should make things much easier. Also keeping the area well lit may help keep anything from happening that needs to be recorded. You could work with the electrician to have them placed where they would work best with the position of the cameras.

Sound like a good idea, except they want to get good quality day/night domes for $150 each. So I doubt they will pay for an electrician.

Well, I can do the electric work myself. That's not the real problem. The real problem is the cameras will be in reach of vandals. That is why I need a vandal proof dome. But, it must be mounted on the wall, and be able to see to the left along the wall. From what I am reading my best bet is to get a decent weatherproof vandalproof dome that can be wall mounted and be able to be twisted so it can see all the way to the left along the wall. Now I just need the camera.

I just don't see how you are going to force the camera into a position that it is not desgined to go into, without risking pulling out wires or damaging it.

Here is a picture of a dome cover. You can see you can only go so far. And even if you removed the inside lining it is doubtful you could get the camera go all the way sideways. Espescially with a limited budget that might allow you to find one thay may do that.

39698_1.jpg

i havea comment to make. what are these cameras actually in an ideal world ment to capture? with the budget u have you may as well put dummys up becuase im thinking the footage will be pretty useless.

Take a camera like this for instance:

[edit by mod-no dealer links please]

I don't think it's weather proof, but can it be set up so that it can be wall mounted and see to the left of the wall? It looks like it can.

I still don't think that dome will allow you to see all the way to one side like you think. You can tell by looking at the angle of the camera in the housing and the surrounding IR that would get in the way of it being tilted all the way over.

And also if it is not water resistant than it won't work for you anyway.

Fas, maybe you should make some calls to some of these places that you have been looking at and ask them specifically if they have a dome in stock that will look sideways like you want. And if they do ask them if they have one that costs no more than a $150 dollars.

Trying calling on that camera above and see what they say. Can't hurt. I don't think you want to buy one and try to force it into position though.

It seemed to me that the consensus was that you could not get a cameara to meet your needs for $150.