Randy

Geovision Questions

I have been doing alot of research on PCI cards and think Geovision meets all my requirements. I do have some questions the downloaded manual does address or has hidden:

1. Is remote client software needed to simply view video or are browsers supported?

2. I have several pan/tilt mounts that are not serial controlled. Instead a DC voltage is applied to turn the motor. Can the PTZ panel be configured for "custom" applications? Or can I use the I/O screen to close relays to turn the motors?

3. Which Geovision vendor has the best price/support?

Randy

1. Is remote client software needed to simply view video or are browsers supported?

All the softwrae is supplied, but you do not need any, you can talk, listen, control cams even activate I/O,s look at datbase files from POS or counter applications, log in records, system uptimes and remote log files without the use of any software, it is all web based.

2. I have several pan/tilt mounts that are not serial controlled. Instead a DC voltage is applied to turn the motor. Can the PTZ panel be configured for "custom" applications? Or can I use the I/O screen to close relays to turn the motors?

Ther is a mapping setting in geo to set a PT control unit, old style with voltage variance for controlling older units in other words you set the output for the relay to turn left etc and then make that ouput do what you want then control as usual, not sure if they still sell it, they may have changed it already, but yes it is possible.

3. Which Geovision vendor has the best price/support?

I can sell to you and BELIEVE me I have the best price and support but I am in Australia, so warranty would be a bugger for you, but not hat many fail these days. if you insist on buying the gear there, then make sure ou buy from someone that will not list prices on their site!

I hope this helps

What is the reason for not buying from websites that list the prices on their sites? Are they price gouging or something?

With every PC component I've ever purchased, I always like to know the lowest prices I can get (I use Pricewatch and Pricegrabber sites quite frequently), but if I have to email each company with a price quote request, that just seems like alot of extra time spent.

I am just curious as to why it is different with specialized DVR equipment than with other PC components and what is the downside of ordering from sites that post prices? Thanks.

If you are a retail client, it is not a downside, but some of us are distributors, the more you buy the cheaper it gets and if distributors list prices then the retail client knows how much it is worth.

For example, I magine you went to buy a new car, you can not buy from the manufactorer, not really just a distributor, you cant just walk in to the factory and buy it, therefore say the distributor adds 30% and another only adds 5% and they do not stick to the recommended prices...they wont survive long with that margin but while they do they kill the distributor.

Another point is say you sell a DVR as a dealer to a retail client for say $4000, your computer parts might be say $1400 and perhaps the card is $800 so you made $1800, how would you feel if the retail client you were selling it to found out that he could buy a machine make it himself and buy the card at 5%, not much point being a distributor.

The issue is that listing prices allows the retailer to find out the cost, meaning that your margins are set, you cant put much on top and lest face it sometimes you need or want to charge a lot more so the poor dealer can never lift his prices to a retailer that can afford it and his margins are exposed, I am not against listing prices, just against listing lower than recommended prices without having to register as a dealer.

if you sell PC's its different because you are used to small margins and most retailers have already an idea of the price but say you were making 90% would you like me to tell your retail client that you were making that much or would you prefer he did not know your cost?

If you stick to recommended prices NO ONE gets hurt as the customer knows he got a good price, but if you list cheaper and you may not ven be able to buy at that price, the misconception is that you have been ripped off.