Sign in to follow this  
PacificRim

Need Help With 4 channel DVR

Hello, so my uncle was asking me regarding his old DVR system he has. His DVR came with a four channel DVR and he was asking me is there way to add addition channels?

Personally I have never used security camera so i am not aware of different method, if there any.

My question is this can i get Splitter and attach it to one of the channel to create addition channel inputs? He already has addition cameras.

Also my second question was this. Is there a separate hardware that connect to your Pc. So you can plug all the camera to that one hardware and have it send output to a desktop.

I'm not aware of a way to add channels to the DVR. Doing the splitter thing doesn't change that. The firmware (operating system) is also set up to match the 4 channels of the hardware.

For connecting to your PC...I'm not following what you want to connect to your PC.

* Connect the DVR to your PC? (DVR's in recent years connect pretty easily over the network through a browser window...and recently to smartphone apps...pretty easily too. But older DVR's that don't have that capability...well...new DVR for some of them).

* Connect your spare cameras to your PC? (Turning your PC into a DVR...but it means PC on all the time using more wattage than a DVR does and having DVR-type-software installed..and a video-capture-card).

Hello, so my uncle was asking me regarding his old DVR system he has. His DVR came with a four channel DVR and he was asking me is there way to add addition channels?

Personally I have never used security camera so i am not aware of different method, if there any.

My question is this can i get Splitter and attach it to one of the channel to create addition channel inputs? He already has addition cameras.

Also my second question was this. Is there a separate hardware that connect to your Pc. So you can plug all the camera to that one hardware and have it send output to a desktop.

Seems that you are talking about analog systems.

Buy a new DVR, possibly expanding to 8 Ch /16 Ch or so. Its price can be as good as splitter's that you think, but not workable.

If you consider to manage the systems tightly coupled with PC, you may go for PC based DVR, what so called, video capture card.

You can buy a splitter to put 2 or more cameras on the same channel but like the other poster said you can buy an 8 channel dvr for around the same price.

Careful of your terminology Jerome - You probably mean switcher so one channel can switch between multiple cameras. A splitter will result in both cameras displaying their video over the top of each other