azjeep

Designing a new system. Going all IP.

I work for a manufacturing company and I just got the green light to start a revamp of the old camera system to something else.

We have multiple buildings, but they are all attached to each other. Currently they want me to focus on outdoor cameras to make sure the cars in the parking lot are save as well as shipping/receiving. I need to setup about 16 cameras on the outside of the buildings to cover everything I want to cover.

Our current system is some old ebay cameras with the bnc connector all run back to a single computer with a couple of multiple terabyte hard drives. It works, however all of the cameras have poor resolution so they are pretty much useless. When something happens and we go back to tape, we cant really see WHAT happened, but we can see who was involved and then investigate further. Kinda annoying.

So I am looking for some guidance. My current idea is to get 8 cameras on one half of the building and wire them into a switch, which is connected to an NVR. Then get another 8 cameras on the other half of the building and wire them into another NVR. Then have a single piece of software to marry the 2 nvr's together to pull up historical footage. I would like to use at least 1MP cameras and have 60 days of old footage.

Here is what I am thinking....

NVR. Something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7092CR9116&cm_re=dlink_nas-_-14P-001C-00016-_-Product

Pop in (6) 6TB drives.

Cameras, I was thinkin something like this..

http://www.amazon.com/Axis-0536-001-Communications-Vandal-Resistant-Outdoor-Ready/dp/B00E3T89WA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438832476&sr=8-2&keywords=axis+outdoor

Switch was something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DGS-1210-10P-Web-Smart-Switch/dp/B00YBRCTT8/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1438832533&sr=1-12&keywords=poe+smart+switch+dlink

Do this setup 2 times and I can get all the cameras I need and plenty of storage for about 12K.

Next would be how do I setup the system to be viewed from a single spot? and how would I retrieve past footage?

I work for a manufacturing company and I just got the green light to start a revamp of the old camera system to something else.

We have multiple buildings, but they are all attached to each other. Currently they want me to focus on outdoor cameras to make sure the cars in the parking lot are save as well as shipping/receiving. I need to setup about 16 cameras on the outside of the buildings to cover everything I want to cover.

Our current system is some old ebay cameras with the bnc connector all run back to a single computer with a couple of multiple terabyte hard drives. It works, however all of the cameras have poor resolution so they are pretty much useless. When something happens and we go back to tape, we cant really see WHAT happened, but we can see who was involved and then investigate further. Kinda annoying.

So I am looking for some guidance. My current idea is to get 8 cameras on one half of the building and wire them into a switch, which is connected to an NVR. Then get another 8 cameras on the other half of the building and wire them into another NVR. Then have a single piece of software to marry the 2 nvr's together to pull up historical footage. I would like to use at least 1MP cameras and have 60 days of old footage.

Here is what I am thinking....

NVR. Something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7092CR9116&cm_re=dlink_nas-_-14P-001C-00016-_-Product

Pop in (6) 6TB drives.

Cameras, I was thinkin something like this..

http://www.amazon.com/Axis-0536-001-Communications-Vandal-Resistant-Outdoor-Ready/dp/B00E3T89WA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438832476&sr=8-2&keywords=axis+outdoor

Switch was something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DGS-1210-10P-Web-Smart-Switch/dp/B00YBRCTT8/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1438832533&sr=1-12&keywords=poe+smart+switch+dlink

Do this setup 2 times and I can get all the cameras I need and plenty of storage for about 12K.

Next would be how do I setup the system to be viewed from a single spot? and how would I retrieve past footage?

You dont need two NVR's...simply run a cable from the second switch to NVR or your first switch...

The dlink is a NAS...it may have NVR capability but they will likely charge per camera licensing...

The axis camera does not have IR, so you will need good exterior lighting.

Look at the threads about the new hikvision 4mp cameras..they should be available soon via US sellers for about 150.

If you want an all in one package consider this rebranded dahua system.

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD-and-8-4MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100213199.html

You may need to check whether they can provide a spot - monitoring(playback) all 16 Channels simultaneously in realtime.

You may need to check whether they can provide a spot - monitoring(playback) all 16 Channels simultaneously in realtime.

Why do you think IP can't

Just because I have not seen yet. Simultaneous Decoding (Playback or spot monitoring) of 16 Ch X 1080Px30FPS is still believed to be a challenge for software-wise (on a very powerful PC) or stand alone NVR.

Just because I have not seen yet. Simultaneous Decoding (Playback or spot monitoring) of 16 Ch X 1080Px30FPS is still believed to be a challenge for software-wise (on a very powerful PC) or stand alone NVR.

Playback and spot monitoring are two different things. We have 32 cam IP all on one unit ..... Also has 3 outputs ..... All over 3 42inch monitors with no problem even with alarm analytics on 4th alarm 22inch monitor

You have to remember there are more NVRs and VMS out there ...... For some reason this forum only talks about hikvision

You first really need to sit down with management and define what you would like covered and an approximate budget. Don't start designing the system based on just outdoor cameras and hope that one extra NVR will cover the interior.

Also, are they budgeting for new wiring throughout the building?

Hi. TheOPs idea of using more than one NVR might save him time and money

If long cable runs were out of Ethernet range for cameras at other locations

Playback and spot monitoring are two different things. We have 32 cam IP all on one unit ..... Also has 3 outputs ..... All over 3 42inch monitors with no problem even with alarm analytics on 4th alarm 22inch monitor

You have to remember there are more NVRs and VMS out there ...... For some reason this forum only talks about hikvision

Thanks for your kind explanation. But what I pointed out was that both playback and spot monitoring needs to decompress the encoded bit stream. 16 Ch X 1080P X 30FPS could be tough to handle for both softwares and hardwares-stand alone NVR. Thanks again

Thanks for your kind explanation. But what I pointed out was that both playback and spot monitoring needs to decompress the encoded bit stream. 16 Ch X 1080P X 30FPS could be tough to handle for both softwares and hardwares-stand alone NVR. Thanks again

Why in the world would you need to replay 16ch at 1080p? and why at 30fps..whats wrong with playback at substream resolution...

For the record the NVR can playback 4 channels at FULL resolution, that is 4k (the nvr is capable of 4k, but the cameras included are only 4mp)

Why in the world would you need to replay 16ch at 1080p? and why at 30fps..whats wrong with playback at substream resolution...

For the record the NVR can playback 4 channels at FULL resolution, that is 4k (the nvr is capable of 4k, but the cameras included are only 4mp)

Boogieman,

Now you are telling me that 16 Ch on 1080P monitor means each CIF recording as a substream, for a spot monitoring or playbacking. 16 Ch X D1 on 4K monitor? In video qualitywise, is it far better than WD1 that analog DVR provides? Be real centwise.

Why have you been bashing around analog system all the way? Analog system offers the quality as good as DVD player's in resoltuion-wise. What are you doing anyway?

I am telling you that you have a huge market to sell your IP products as Las Vegas is still on analog 90%, if you are smart enough.

Now you are telling me that 16 Ch on 1080P monitor means each CIF recording as a substream, for a spot monitoring or playbacking. 16 Ch X D1 on 4K monitor? In video qualitywise, is it far better than WD1 that analog DVR provides? Be real centwise.

You are best not getting confused ..... Your mixing up meanings

CIF RECORDINGS ...... I thing you mean viewing stream ..... Don't add the recording (FOOTAGE) this is a separate thing ...... What ever resolution the IP is set for that is your recording.

WD1 is not DVD quality it is far from it that's been a sales pitch as soon as D1 budget recorders came out.

OPs post is to help design a new system and no one is giving good advice if saying go back 15 years in technology

Post is main car park ..... Analog is not going to do that for him

Sunnykim,

Its not my fault that you cannot READ english or understand it. IT RECORDS IN FULL 4k (if you have a 4k camera or at 4mp with the cameras included)..that is what I bash your junk D1 that your company sells...D1 is junk.

For spot monitoring you are looking at 16 channels, so its not full screen therefore substream is more than enough - the monitor itself cannot display full 1080p on 16 channels.

For playback its the same thing, if you need to get detail, you pull up one channel on full screen..the unit can play 4ch at full resolution simultaneously as well...and stop lying about analog system offering dvd quality...maybe top notch 300 analog camera, but not the ones you recommend for 30 dollars, despite what they claim. STOP trying to sell anyone on your JUNK D1 cameras. Enough already, its 2015...if you want to sell D1 and CRT monitors, go do it in the third world.

On IP compression is done at the camera end unlike analog

As mentioned, having a single NVR and just run a network cable from the switch on the other side of the building over to where the NVR lives, and voila!

For cost-effectiveness, I know of several businesses that do run 2+ NVR's as in their case they do not have the need to have the videos housed on a single box. If there's a broken window on the East side of their property, pull the video from that NVR...and so on.

Not as technologically simple/elegant, but the end result of getting the right recording works for their goals. Plus they simply have two options on their smartphone to log into either NVR at a time.

I would like to use at least 1MP cameras and have 60 days of old footage.

Looking at the provided link...I'm not on board with the Axis bandwagon. I like them fine, but there are other solutions out there that appear to be just as robust and give as good (or better) performance...for quite a bit less money.

Plus, upping the video to 2MP-3MP is going to meet your goals of seeing the detail of what's happening on a recording (it really does look great compared to the analog systems).

For recording, if the business needs to record 24/7, then so be it and load up the hard drives.

For a large number of businesses I work with, they do motion recording and only record when there's something happening on camera. Two benefits:

* fewer hard drives (saving $$$)

* much easier to locate a video clip of an incident that took place (much, much easier)

Sunnykim,

Its not my fault that you cannot READ english or understand it. IT RECORDS IN FULL 4k (if you have a 4k camera or at 4mp with the cameras included)..that is what I bash your junk D1 that your company sells...D1 is junk.

For spot monitoring you are looking at 16 channels, so its not full screen therefore substream is more than enough - the monitor itself cannot display full 1080p on 16 channels.

For playback its the same thing, if you need to get detail, you pull up one channel on full screen..the unit can play 4ch at full resolution simultaneously as well...and stop lying about analog system offering dvd quality...maybe top notch 300 analog camera, but not the ones you recommend for 30 dollars, despite what they claim. STOP trying to sell anyone on your JUNK D1 cameras. Enough already, its 2015...if you want to sell D1 and CRT monitors, go do it in the third world.

Go get a brand new vaccum while I am considering to upgrade the translator.

By the way, if you could find & sell the item that can drive 4 X 4K monitor for spot displaying 16 IP (1080P) cameras, you would be well-off. Value Added Software Like Facial Recognition or Object Tracking would require all 16 Ch Simultaneous Real Time Decoding, based on Main 1080P compressed streams. That could be called HighTech. That may be needed in 2015 or so, were to borrow your terminology.

Sunnykim,

Go get a brand new vaccum while I am considering to upgrade the translator.

By the way, if you could find & sell the item that can drive 4 X 4K monitor for spot displaying 16 IP (1080P) cameras, you would be well-off. Value Added Software Like Facial Recognition or Object Tracking would require all 16 Ch Simultaneous Real Time Decoding, based on Main 1080P compressed streams. That could be called HighTech. That may be needed in 2015 or so, were to borrow your terminology.

I really dont understand what you are taking about..no one said anything about driving 4x4k monitors. you do need a better translator. Stop with your useless posts and stop bringing up D1 junk in 2015.