kdberg

Experiences with Dell 400SC Server as Host For Geovision

Has anyone used the Dell PowerEdge 400SC as the server to host a Geovision system? I really like the cost / performance of these servers, but wonder about statements I have heard that a high quality AGP graphics card is required.

Well, it does depend a lot on the actual card that you are going to use, and how many ports it is, example if using a 250, or 600-650 4 port, I don't think that you are going to have much of a problem, but if you go to a 800 or better, then just go out and get a 32 meg or better card, but make sure that it supports directx 9.

Anything above a 100FPS (PAL), should be run on a board that has 800Mhz front side bus and hyperthreading, it is always better to buy quality components, I Might FTP some pics on here of some of the machines I built, did an insane one recently for some GV1000 machines, with a reverse mini rackmount, in other words the PCI slots face the front, so you can actually plug cameras into a rackmount that is in a rack at the front of the case, using the latest Prescot P4 and Corsair ram with a channeled motherboard that has a plastic tubing with Leds and wind tunnel affect over the sections of the board that need it, I used whisper spin fans and some big ones that are on a fan controller that fits into a Floppy drive bay, then on the Cpu used a circular ..large heatsink with special fan for it and had some venting at the back, I also put heatsinks on every chip on the mainboard and a fan on the North Bridge as well as heatsinks on the Geo Cards themselves.