homeless2

How to capture POS screen on CCTV viewing panel?

Anyone out there knows how can i connect my PC based DVR to a PC based POS system?

So i can view the cameras images as well as the POS screen on my dvr?

Anyone?

Thanks

Ok, so you have two seperate PC's; One for DVR and one for POS system?

You want to be able to view the entire POS screen or just the text to be overlayed over one of your DVR video channels?

Please provide both PC dvr specs and POS system specs. Basically if your POS system is Windows based it should be a pretty simple task.

Hi kandcorp

Yes i have two seperate PCs, one for dvr and one for the pos system. Both are working on Windows. I would love to view the whole POS screen but i wouldnt mind learning another way: Text insertion as well.

Both my systems are running on Windows Xp.

Put a video card in the POS that has a composite TV output, then run that to your DVR's camera input.

buy an commutator could satisfy you. but i think CollinR also give a good advise. we used a TV box for one channel input on our PC dvr without any covert parts.so accordingly, u can use video card with S-video in POS PC as input of one channel.

We wrote a program to do text overlay and POS Database for Kodicom.

Are you selling this program or the complete system?

there are several options, firstly you can take a 232 output from the POS system and then take that data into a POS overlay box, this puts the transaction over the video but is relatively useless.

You can also feed the 232 into a data capture box and if your dvr supports it it can store the data so you can do minimal searches for transactions and missing items, but the reality is it is simply taking the info that gets printed on a docket so al you can search is what appears on the docket and in most cases much less.

The most effective is to use a DVR that does electronic ethernet POS Journal conversion, this allows you to adjust gates and make changes to searching parameters and is much more effective, this requires an additional PC but it is very very powerfull because it allows the user to "close in" on the transactional problems faster.. for example..

lets just say you want to check all the "Open Department Sales" but you want to check between a certain time and a certian rand of product, you also want to see only the transactions that had voids and only the transactions that happened for more than 60 seconds and on top of that you only want to check one user operators log in and you want to only see the voids that are over $50.

it is one thing to search for a "can of coke" and type in the word coke, it is another thing all together to use the POS as a true ROI tool so that you can manage staff and correct prcedural errors.

POS allows ROI to occur and this allows the customer to spend more heavilly on the install because they are aware they are likely to see a ROI (return on investment), there is no return on investment for catching a crim (rarely anyhow) but there is if you reduce shrinkage.