Sign in to follow this  
wilreyca

Advise on new security system

Hello,

I am new here. I want to installed a security systems at home. I am thinking to do 8 external cameras with IP system. No wireless. I would like to be able to see details like a license plate as far as 30 - 50 feet. My budget is $700. Any recommendations on brands or other things that I need to take into consideration before I made the purchase?

Thank you!

$700 for 8 cams

While prices have dropped dramatically in recent years, $700 will be pushing it for some of the middle-of-the-road IP systems out there. But still doable, and still head-and-shoulders above the image quality of an analog system.

License Plate @30-50 feet

If you know where the license plate is going to be (such as a choke point like a gate entrance), then you can make use of a camera that has a telephoto lens to get the plate close up.

If the camera has a good high-definition image, then you won't have to zoom in quite as close to the plate (maybe the image could be 1-2 car-widths wide, etc.)

Cams with the telephoto lens though do add to the price.

To get an visualization of the lens concept, using an online "simulator" might portray it for you.

http://polarisusa.com/lens-calculator

(I'm not affiliated with that site)

Thank you for the information.

Now I am thinking that maybe a should buy a 8 channel NVR and just 4 cameras for now and the add more later on. I am looking at the Elite Series 8 Channel 4K NVR with 8 POE for NVR and 3MP IP Network Indoor/Outdoor IR Bullet Security Camera for the cameras. Is that a good selection? Is the 4K NVR way more than what I need?

Am I asking the wrong questions in this forum? 60 views to the post and nothing? Is this the wrong place to ask these questions?

I'm new here and just now seeing this, but $700 for 8 HD cameras and a central recording system is never going to happen. If you want 8 cameras, you're going to have to increase your budget. I use HikVision DS-2CD2332 cameras, which I believe ware about the best quality (3MP) POE cameras you can get for the money. That being said, the best deal I ever find on them (not copies) is about $125 each. Then you need a central recording system, like a quality NAS with 4+GB of space (because you have 8 cameras). If you are lucky, you might still be able to find a good NAS like a Synology 213j (this is an entry level NAS) will run you at least $170, then you need a couple of drives, add another $350+, then cables, switch, port injector, etc.. If you are not willing to spend at least $1,600, then you need to reconsider your goal.

I'm new here and just now seeing this, but $700 for 8 HD cameras and a central recording system is never going to happen. If you want 8 cameras, you're going to have to increase your budget. I use HikVision DS-2CD2332 cameras, which I believe ware about the best quality (3MP) POE cameras you can get for the money. That being said, the best deal I ever find on them (not copies) is about $125 each. Then you need a central recording system, like a quality NAS with 4+GB of space (because you have 8 cameras). If you are lucky, you might still be able to find a good NAS like a Synology 213j (this is an entry level NAS) will run you at least $170, then you need a couple of drives, add another $350+, then cables, switch, port injector, etc.. If you are not willing to spend at least $1,600, then you need to reconsider your goal.

Good to know. Then go for HD analog system, HD-TVI, HD-CVI, or HD-AHD cameras and DVRs, whcih can be done under U$500. Cameras of 720P or 1080P are already at the bottom price. These systems also support analog cameras, as well. Why pay more.

Thank you for the information.

Now I am thinking that maybe a should buy a 8 channel NVR and just 4 cameras for now and the add more later on. I am looking at the Elite Series 8 Channel 4K NVR with 8 POE for NVR and 3MP IP Network Indoor/Outdoor IR Bullet Security Camera for the cameras. Is that a good selection? Is the 4K NVR way more than what I need?

Yes it is more than what you need. Just pick up a 1080P NVR which costs you less than $200 and with good performance. For home security, 1080P is enough.