mitbug2

Window XP Pro (OEM) and product keys

Hi all...I bought Window XP pro (OEM) from Newegg.com...didn't realized that it does not contain product key... (totally newbie with building pc or pc dvr, but i'm trying). While installing the OS its asking for the key, didn't see it any where, so I used the one from my other pc, it loaded fine. this morning, email newegg for help with key, they said i'm sol...and to contact the manufacture. So beside contacting the manufacture, is there anything else i can do? Thanks for pointing me to the right direction.

I have bought the same OEM Windows XP Pro from NewEgg and the product ket was on the envelope.

Good Luck!

hello ....tthe cd as in a white envelope, sticked to the microsoft book and and nothing was on it, not on the white envelope, shrink wrap, disc,outsite yellow evelope....nothing. Im not sure how to post the email from newegg, but i will try. Essentially they say, if im not good with computer, buy retail version.Subject: product key for window xp pro

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Newegg.

We apologize for the unfavorable situation. In reviewing your account, we show that the item# 37-102-062 you purchased was an OEM product. You may visit on http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102062 for more information.

Since the software is 100% non-fundable once purchased and delivered, in the situation please contact the manufacturer for further assistance.

Microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/

425-454-2030

For future reference, the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) acronym is used to denote equipment that is sold to resellers like Newegg for integration into systems. Also known as white or brown box products, these components are sold in bulk for a discounted price without any special packaging or accessories (except for possibly the necessary drivers), which allows Newegg to pass the savings along to our customers.

OEM items are used primarily by system builders, when experienced PC enthusiasts assemble a new computer, they often eliminate the need for extra cables and manuals. We recommend that if you have not personally upgraded your PC in the past or if you are a novice at PC repairs, you may want to consider purchasing retail products so that you receive all of the available accessories and any additional manufacturer support that is provided in case troubleshooting is required.

All the information you see on our site comes straight from the manufacturer. The info on our item description we can guarantee. Unfortunately, the information that is not specified will have to be obtained from the manufacturer.

Thanks,

Kitty zhou

Okay... I wrote to newegg and explain again that i need the product key to continue with the loading process of the software and they wrote back with the same explaination that they do not provide microsoft product keys (?). I needed to contact the manufacture (microsoft) to get the key.

So I call Microsoft and explain the situation and give them the information in which newegg had given me (Newegg, the lady name, her id, their phone #). I believe I spoke to someone from India (call center), they was very nice to me, explained that i should not buy OEM and to buy retail version from now on (I did not know anything about OEM was until now). Any how they give me a new key and all is well. So I'm writing this to let people like me (newbies), be aware of this (ALWAYS READ THE FINE PRINTS).

Odd. I bought XP Home OEM, and I just checked my invoice, and there's a notation that says the CD key is on the outside of the plastic wrap. It was, and I had no trouble. OEM's are functionally no different than the retail versions. They just offer it at a discount rate for someone building a system (and they're only supposed to be sold with a piece of hardware). Odd problem, glad you got a replacement.

Sir Flannel...Yes it is odd indeed. I've been reading in here for long time, I thought i had read from Rory that he using Oem xp and no problem what so ever...and also many member here also stated that they do have the key when purchansing it....not in my case however...went back looking for shrink wrap...no cigar...no keys... strange indeed (as you can also read from newegg's customer services email to me with the explanation.).

Umm, I'm surprised Newegg doesn't get in crap with Microsoft - OEM software is by definition not supposed to be sold separately, it's only supposed to be sold pre-installed on a new system.

Umm, I'm surprised Newegg doesn't get in crap with Microsoft - OEM software is by definition not supposed to be sold separately, it's only supposed to be sold pre-installed on a new system.

Not a new "system" just new hardware.

Newegg generally requires they be bought with hardware or in bulk.

Yup.