Potlvr420

Class Action Lawsuit Against Geovision?

Ok ive read on other sites about class action against Geovision? Would like your alls opinion on this. Geovision promised lifetime upgrades and now they want you to send your old cards in and a fee for new cards to be able to update. I believe this is unfair and ridiculous. This doesnt help control piracy. Ill bet money within this month there will be fake Geovision cards running 8.0 software on ebay soon. I believe this is a bad business desision on Geovisions part allthough there is a clone problem now adays but this isnt the way to curb this. Let me here your input on this.

I dont condone fake cards by no means but believe this is wrong.

I did a google search and didn't find anything about class action lawsuits against Geovision. I did find a referance to this however:

Geovision, Inc. v. PCSurveillance.Net et al

ohndce

4:2006cv00649

3/21/2006

Anyone have any ideas?

yeah and they wonder why, they are the ones with the:

"Based on GeoVision DVR Cards and products"

As for the other thing, Geo is just doing what it has to to protect itself, software works up to version 7.05 so unless you really want 8.0 there is no need to update. There are many fixes out there for the other software. Im using dongles in my own software now, not 100% full proof as we have seen, I Guess the onchip thing is better protection for them.

If anything, blame it on the criminals that are copying, cracking, and selling the clones .. Also blame the guys like the above web site for supporting their illegal activity and making it harder on those of us that follow laws.

Rory

I disagree with the Class Action suit if there is one.

Lifetime upgrades are not something any reasonable person should want. A company needs to pay its software developers to continue to improve their products, fix bugs, and add additional functionality. Asking them to do this for free, forever, is a great way of forcing them not to release updates or to only release updates on a very limited basis. In the end this will impact me as a customer. I will be forced to use a system that is less then it could be which, is not something I would want.

Also from a legal standpoint, lifetime is likely to refer to the lifetime of the software/card. The newer GV1120,1240,1480's do not require a trade-in. It would be reasonable to argue the older GV250,600,650,800,etc... have reached their end-of-life. It sounds like Geovision should have changed the PN#'s for the newer cards to avoid the asshole lawyers (Who are the only real winners in a class action suit like this) and cheap customers who look for ways to make $10 on class action suit.

a serious and important issue on GEO , the similar problem with famous brand products. an old chinese says: big trees suffer much more wind. i have never seen any copy of our product, they are all original but people who insists on legal cards would buy a original card made by small company, just like ours(NET Vision) or a fake card with well-known brand ,as GEO VISION.

The new 3 year warranty is nice and almost unheard of for similar products. That's right, 3 year warranty on geo cards.

What is the cost to upgrade a GV-600-8 to be able to run Geovision 8.0 \ future Geovision software versions?

I received the e-mail regarding the upgrade a while back but didn't hunt down the pricing to upgrade my card (nice that the e-mail didn't mention pricing and it was up to me to track it down).

I do have to admit though, that all the GV dongles, upgrading with every version of the software, etc., seems like a huge pain to me. I like things to be simple, and to me, having to send in my card for a different card just to upgrade a point revision of the software is rather ridiculous. It would seem that there should be another option. The word backwards compatibility comes to mind here.

I can just imagine that many, many users won't even bother getting the new upgraded versions of their cards just to run the point upgrade, but I like to try to stay current with the latest revisions of software, so, if the price isn't too great, I might send in my GV600-8 for one that will run 8.0, but I still think I shouldn't have to waste my time doing it.

If I have to do the same thing when 9.0 comes out, I will not be too happy.

Just my 3 cents worth.