Sign in to follow this  
burchis

Highest Camera Resolution to use with D1 DVR

I have an older DVR with D1 being the highest record resolution available. I plan on buying 2 to 4 cameras to use with this DVR. Would I benefit from buying 850-900 TVL cameras or would I be wasting money since D1 is the highest record resolution?

Thanks for helping.

Make sure the cameras you are buying are compatible they need to be 960H I've seen it called 1000TVL. Even if the camera has a higher resolution format the dvr will only record at D1.

I have an older DVR with D1 being the highest record resolution available. I plan on buying 2 to 4 cameras to use with this DVR. Would I benefit from buying 850-900 TVL cameras or would I be wasting money since D1 is the highest record resolution?

Thanks for helping.

You will be wasting money...how much are you spending on the cameras...remember that a complete new system that will run on your old cable with but produce 1080p images is only 400...will blow away your old system.

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-Analog-DVR-with-2TB-HDD%2c-8-1080p-Cameras-with-130'-Night-Vision.product.100218592.html

Thanks for helping.

You will be wasting money...how much are you spending on the cameras...remember that a complete new system that will run on your old cable with but produce 1080p images is only 400...will blow away your old system.

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-Analog-DVR-with-2TB-HDD%2c-8-1080p-Cameras-with-130'-Night-Vision.product.100218592.html

Ditto ... My boy got that system for 499 (399 sale ends 10/25/15 - don't let that stop you) and was ticked pink. It's so good he bought one for his other home the next day and a neighbor got one too! It uses the BNC59 connector (and wires) that likely came with a 960h system. It is 1080p with excellent day and night vision outdoor cameras. Your 4 cameras will probaply cost you more that the Lorex 8 camera system.

Here is a link a youtube example 16 camera 720p (half of the 1080p) system with a pan tilt 12x zoom camera.

Jim

Thanks for helping.

850~900 TVL are for recent analog cameras, priced below U$20 at most, but with its quality a lot improved. You have D1 -DVR already. Just buy and plug new analog cameras. Why spending money? If you go for HD, then you have to buy everything new, including HDD and decent monitors.

Thanks for helping.

850~900 TVL are for recent analog cameras, priced below U$20 at most, but with its quality a lot improved. You have D1 -DVR already. Just buy and plug new analog cameras. Why spending money? If you go for HD, then you have to buy everything new, including HDD and decent monitors.

You dont have to buy new hard drives or new monitors for hd, lol...that makes no sense at all. sunnykim is making lots of assumptions about the size of the current drive and its compression technology...maybe the old system was not h.264....

900 tvl cameras will not help if the DVR does not support it...

For 400 dollars you can have 8 cameras, a dvr, and large hard drive...and lifetime return policy! Most of the cheap cameras are junk..

Still laughing about needing new monitors though, made my night...

Side note here in the US most folks are using 1080p monitors..through they are obviously NOT required for an HD camera solution...

You dont have to buy new hard drives or new monitors for hd, lol...that makes no sense at all. sunnykim is making lots of assumptions about the size of the current drive and its compression technology...maybe the old system was not h.264....

For 400 dollars you can have 8 cameras, a dvr, and large hard drive...and lifetime return policy! Most of the cheap cameras are junk..

Side note here in the US most folks are using 1080p monitors..through they are obviously NOT required for an HD camera solution...

One of the good things is that analog cameras, whether to be 900 TVL or 480 TVL are to be supported by any DVR. As said, its recording resolution is D1, which means the DVR is relatively new and likely to support H.264.

One of the good things is that analog cameras, whether to be 900 TVL or 480 TVL are to be supported by any DVR. As said, its recording resolution is D1, which means the DVR is relatively new and likely to support H.264.

"supported" and actually seeing a benefit are two different things...

D1 is NOT relatively new..lol..

There is no "good thing" about D1 analog...just as there is no "good thing" about a crt TV or monitor...at least not in any modern country.

"supported" and actually seeing a benefit are two different things...

D1 is NOT relatively new..lol..

There is no "good thing" about D1 analog...just as there is no "good thing" about a crt TV or monitor...at least not in any modern country.

I forgot to mention: Analog systems are cheapppp and rugggged, being around years. You do not need a cannon to kill a street roaches. Just U$10 analog camera will do good.

Analog is not any more rugged than IP or cvi/tvi . Like ALL other electronics the manufacture matters.

An image from a 10 dollar analog camera is completely worthless unless the subject is within a few feet or you have a zoom lens...utter rubbish....

Analog is not any more rugged than IP or cvi/tvi . Like ALL other electronics the manufacture matters.

An image from a 10 dollar analog camera is completely worthless unless the subject is within a few feet or you have a zoom lens...utter rubbish....

Cabling distance is not the function of U$. NTSC/PAL signal from analog camera can go over 100 meter easily. It is rugged itself, whether others are rugged or not. U$ 10 dollar was to be priced due to market force. You do not need to blame or dis-respect. They are not Junks. No distributor or Manufacturer carries million pieces of Junk. They are not stupid.

Cabling distance is not the function of U$. NTSC/PAL signal from analog camera can go over 100 meter easily. It is rugged itself, whether others are rugged or not. U$ 10 dollar was to be priced due to market force. You do not need to blame or dis-respect. They are not Junks. No distributor or Manufacturer carries million pieces of Junk. They are not stupid.

Don't think you understand what rugged means .... Why do you assume op needs more than a 100m run...

Thanks for helping.

I'm going to try to not be too ignorant. In 2015 putting up a FREE 960h camera is questionable when a $500 8 camera system in 1080p is available. Spending any money on a 960h system is at best foolish. It will only confirm a problem/theft existed and identify no one.

Further, on my system I added $8 lenses (6mm to 16mm, ir coated, 12* .05mm thread) from amazon to get excellent face and license ID up to 100ft and it was already good!

Jim

XGSound,

No objection to the fact with U$500 you could be equipped with HD1080P 8 Ch system.

400. It was on sale for 400 until yesterday. Will be on sales every few months...

XGSound,

No objection to the fact with U$500 you could be equipped with HD1080P 8 Ch system.

Do you really think anybody here cares about your "objection" ?

XGSound,

I think he does, lol. In another post he tells a user what he "may buy" has if he is giving permission....

XGSound,

No objection to you,either.