antdickens

gv 250 on win 98

Hi

I am currently repairing an old GV250 system which is currently running win98. Which version of geovision can i go up to?

But it also states on the Geovision website that the GV-250 only supports "Windows 2000 / Windows XP / Windows Server 2003" operating systems.

Good Luck!

Edited by Guest

Time to upgrade to XP then if you want the newer features.

Windows 98 isn't as stable anyway.

He will have to upgrade the hardware also though, which he is probably trying to avoid. .

He will have to upgrade the hardware also though, which he is probably trying to avoid. .

What hardware would he have to upgrade? There are PC's that ran Windows 98 that are fully capable of running Windows 2000 or XP.

For a Stable DVR system I would not run Windows XP on anything under something like a 1.5ghz PC.

What hardware does he have?

I was able to run XP on an old gateway that I used a CPU slot upgrade to bump it up to 1.2 Ghz. Ran fine.

I am not taking into consideration the Card requirements.

I am running XP on a 1.2Ghz also, but I wouldnt suggest it for a DVR system, plus he is more than likely using something like a 400-500 mhz if he has windows 98 on that, as windows ME came out around the 600Mhz time period.

For a Stable DVR system I would not run Windows XP on anything under something like a 1.5ghz PC.

The Geovision requirements for a GV-250 card state that a Pentium 4 - 2.0 GHz is the minimum.

None of know that he does not have a PC that will meet or exceed that requirement. If he does not then yes he should upgrade the hardware to at least meet the Geovision requirements. But we should not jump to the conclusion that he needs to upgrade the hardware before he even tells us what he has. Maybe the hardware was upgraded already and the owner just didn't want to pay more for a new OS.

I run the GV250 on 1.5-2.0 AMDs & Cellerons with Via Chipsets ... no issues, thats the lowest I would go though. I wouldnt use it for anything besides the GV250 though.

As for what he has, its a 99.9999% probability that he has a 500Mhz + - CPU if he is using Windows 98 .. so unless he says otherwise we have to just guess at this point.

I run the GV250 on 1.5-2.0 AMDs & Cellerons with Via Chipsets ... no issues, thats the lowest I would go though. I wouldnt use it for anything besides the GV250 though.

As for what he has, its a 99.9999% probability that he has a 500Mhz + - CPU if he is using Windows 98 .. so unless he says otherwise we have to just guess at this point.

Your that sure huh. Where do you come up with these odds

My 1.2GHz is actually a Gateway Pentium II 400Mhz, which I updated with a slot CPU upgrade from PowerLeap. It had windows 95 on it when I bought it in 98.