ciroryder

Axis Encoder M7014 and Genetec Security Center

Hello,

Hoping someone can shed some light on this. The institution I work at originally purchased 37 camera licenses covering a number of IP cameras (Sony and Axis), and the 13 Axis M7014 encoders (most maxed out with 4 cameras, total of 47 cameras). And we had a few spare licenses.

We have expanded our licensing twice as we built new buildings and expanded our camera coverage, adding ten licenses either time to bring us up to 57 camera licenses.

We recently upgraded to 5.3 from 5.1.

Now, we can't add any more cameras as we are out of licenses. We have a total of 50 IP-Camera devices counting the 13 encoders.

Reaching out to Genetec, they are confused how we were ever working as those encoders should actually be eating up 4 licenses each.

Is this correct, or did the representative feed me some poor information trying to explain away our issue.

Thanks for any help.

I would agree with Genetec and can't explain how it worked for you before. A license is needed for each entity with a video server. A 7014 has four individual encoders so it needs four licenses.

5.3 SR2 addressed this.

This was a reply to an Axis Q3709 which has multi sensors.

Hi,

The camera needs to be added as 3 different units in Security Center because of the way it was designed by Axis (it consists internally of three devices, each with its own IP and MAC address).

However, we did an exception in the code so that it uses only one license in Security Center: adding the extra two units should not use any additional license in the camera count.

I think there may have been a bug in 5.1 that made multi-channel encoders only take one license which was fixed in a more recent version. Your institution has mainly three options:

• Keep using 5.1 with cheap licenses
  • Be grateful that you saved some money on licenses all this time and start paying the normal price to use the latest version
  • Try to convince them to give you a discount on the extra licenses because it's not your fault that it was bugged

Your fourth option is to call Avigilon and get a demo.

Then call Genetec and tell them your institution is considering Avigilon as you upgrade all your analog to IP...

Your fourth option is to call Avigilon and get a demo.

Then call Genetec and tell them your institution is considering Avigilon as you upgrade all your analog to IP...

+1

If you have a current SMA with Genetec you should be able to upgrage to 5.3 SR3 (The current version)

If all your cameras are compatible with Avigilon then that would be an option too.

If you have a current SMA with Genetec you should be able to upgrage to 5.3 SR3 (The current version)

If all your cameras are compatible with Avigilon then that would be an option too.

We just won a project to switch a 700 camera Genetec system to Avigilon. Customer said Genetec is to complicated and to expensive. They have old D1 GE cameras which we are switching out to Aviglon and they have new GE and Samsung cameras which we are keeping and recording in ACC.

What GE cameras?

The new Interlogix stuff?

They have a mix of new and old GE stuff. All the old stuff is getting replaced. All the new GE stuff is rebranded Hikvision cameras so they work just fine.

What GE cameras?

They have a mix of new and old GE stuff. All the old stuff is getting replaced. All the new GE stuff is rebranded Hikvision cameras so they work just fine.

Interesting.

I wonder if Hikvision Cameras will work with a Interlogix NVR?

What GE cameras?

Interesting.

I wonder if Hikvision Cameras will work with a Interlogix NVR?

I wouldn't be surprised if those NVRs are Hikvision OEM too. Hikvision's SADP software discovers the GE cameras.