TheAudioSolution

New Installer w/ 2 problems to solve.... Help!

Hello everybody!

I've been an AV installer for years, but this is my first camera project.

I opted to go with TVI and Siamese. Here are my components...

4 Domes - KT&C KEZ-C2DR28V12IRN - 12/24V

4 Bullets w/ 160' IR's - KT&C KEZ-C2BR12XIR - 12/24V

Hunt 32 Channel 8TB DVR

WattBox 18 Output Rack Mount Power Supply - 12VDC - 20A - PTC Fuses

Issue number 1:

One of the domes is not giving any picture, even when hooking the camera straight to the monitor port. I decided that I'd try a 2nd camera and still having the same issue. I can hear a clicking inside, almost sounds like a shutter opening and closing, but that's it. I'm getting 16.3VDC at the pigtail and when hooked up I'm getting the same onto the board in the camera. Admittedly I haven't checked the voltage on any of the other cameras but I have tried different outputs on the power supply.

Issue number 2:

On 2 of the 4 bullet cameras they seem to be turning themself off over night, I can only assume this has something to do with the IR's kicking on at night, because I can reset them the next day and they work great, next morning they will be off again.

I realize these are total newby problems, but I'm desperately trying to get this job wrapped up and learn from my mistakes.

Any help at all would be appreciated!

1) You have dual voltage cameras - you should have opted to run at 24Vac as there is less likelyhood of voltage related problems. (voltage drop issues & earth loops)

2) Your cameras AND DVR are both TVI - have you checked. TVI cameras running on analogur DVR can do weird things but you will usually get "some" kind of picture

3) You say you are getting no picture but what ARE you getting. If it is a "black" screen then there is no camera signal at all. (dead camera , o/c cable , no power etc) If it is a "blue" screen then you are getting camera sub-carrier but no picture information ( faulty camera)

4) 16.3V (on load) at camera is too high. That is 30% nom overvoltage. It would seem there is no voltage regulation on your power supply

I think your first step should be to get the operating voltage within spec and go from there. It could be causing all sorts of issues from thermal shutdowns to IR & exposure problems

One more thing - A TVI signal (QAM modulation) will not display directly on a composite monitor , it needs to be demodulated (by the dvr) before being displayed. TVI cameras will normally have a pair of leads which . when shorted, will switch the video to composite for setting up purposes and will cause the video output to be composite whilever the leads are joined

They are definitely all TVI and the DVR is TVI as well. I was checking them using my monitor, but I was using the included pigtail that allows it to be viewed using the nonTVI standard. I have more camera working than not working and I only have 2 different models of camera.

I agree with you on the Power Supply. I checked an output on the power supply and I'm getting a little over 17vdc. I called WattBox and this appears to be out of spec so they are sending a replacement. So that's a start.

Follow up questions....

They have all been running like this for a couple weeks, should I go disconnect them all until I get the new power supply or just let them run on over voltage?

I think I'll go research a 24v power supply, that won't change anything on my camera end will it? I can just replace the power supply and be up and running?

Thanks again! Some great knowledge here!

The #1 lesson I would take from this is never install an analog system again. Learn how to install IP cameras. POE cameras do away with all these power supply issues.