narinesa

CMS Software

I am installing network IP cameras 2mp - each with a separate IP address 8-16

I want to view and record these cameras on the network via CMS software

I want to install a 4TB harddrive on the network for recording (remote) - not on the computer.

I want to be able to view the CMS software/cameras remotely on the network and prefer to do so without a computer - just a monitor (crome ?). I do not want to leave my computer on 24/7 but I can leave a monitor on 24/7.

Prefer to turn off my NVR while using the remote IP harddrive for recording

Any suggestions ?

Get those IP Camera with SD Slots, use the SD Slots for recording.

However, SD card size are limited. Most support up to 32GB , some up to 128GB.

The camera will record by itself.

To view, you'll still need your NVR or a mobile device or computer.

I am installing network IP cameras 2mp - each with a separate IP address 8-16

I want to view and record these cameras on the network via CMS software

I want to install a 4TB harddrive on the network for recording (remote) - not on the computer.

I want to be able to view the CMS software/cameras remotely on the network and prefer to do so without a computer - just a monitor (crome ?). I do not want to leave my computer on 24/7 but I can leave a monitor on 24/7.

Prefer to turn off my NVR while using the remote IP harddrive for recording

Any suggestions ?

There are way too many confusing elements in this post to be able to answer it constructively. It's horribly confusing when you use a statement like, "I want to be able to view the cameras remotely on the network." From an industry standpoint, it's contradicting and can't be addressed without clarification of what you mean. You need to be more "plain" in your explanation and push the technical terms to the side. Use hypothetical scenarios if you're having hard time trying to verbalize what your needs are.

Daryl733,

Got your point and yes I will be using the mini or micro SD card 32gb

However with a 5mp camera, the 32gb is not enough

Is it also possible to add a separate hard drive on the network for additional storage space (not attached to any computer) ?

Yes. Some Brand/Model of IP cameras support that.

e.g. HIKVISION.

They do edge recording as well (some models).

i.e. you put in a SD Card, and you configure a NAS for it.

It'll record to the SD Card and also to the NAS. If the NAS is offline, the SD Card acts as a buffer and when it comes back online, it'll dump the recording the NAS missed from the SD Card back to the NAS.

However, do note that the models I tried required from HIKVISION required the NAS to be solely assigned for this purposed. They'll format and wipe the NAS. So you'll have to get a NAS for this purpose only.

You could tinker with it setting up, setting up multi partition so that 1 is use for the IP Camera, the others use for other purpose or other IP Cameras. This you'll have to figure out. I did get one working with 3 partition and 3 cameras streaming to it previously, but i remember it's not a straight forward process. Also, With 1 harddisk segmented to multiple area and the multiple IP cameras continuously streaming forcing the write head to jump from sector to sector to write consistently, I'm not too sure how good it is for the HDD.

And not all brand/model of NAS is supported. If you ask them, they'll tell u to get their brand of NAS which is a lot more expensive than the one you could get normally, e.g. DLINK, etc.

I've tried a couple of DLINK NAS, it works. I've also flush a old DLINK nas to ALT-F firmware. It works as well.

I plan to get a NAS only for that purpose.

I think that the CMS software can configure the cameras to record on the NAS.

Yes, I prefer not to do multiply partition due to excessive work on the drive head

Looks like I can test all 3 at the same time - SD, NAS and NVR

I plan to get a NAS only for that purpose.

I think that the CMS software can configure the cameras to record on the NAS.

Yes, I prefer not to do multiply partition due to excessive work on the drive head

Looks like I can test all 3 at the same time - SD, NAS and NVR

You don't need CMS software to do that. The Camera can managed the NAS to do recording without any CMS or computer running. But limitation is as what I said. 1 partition per camera.

If you are talking about using the CMS to record to a drive mapped to the NAS, your CMS software have to be running, which means your computer on.

Otherwise, you can also set the cameras to record and ftp to the NAS, using the NAS as a ftp server. However, i don't really recommend that as it makes management hard. You can't use the search/playback function of the cameras to search for the period that you want. You'll have to manually delete the files when the NAS is full. That among others.

ok, I got you.

CMS don't seems to be good option as it requires the computer to be on at all times.

Looks like I have to create partitions for the NAS

Why not just get a NVR instead ? It'll do the same thing as well.

Simplest and most reliable solution as they are designed for this purpose.

Price differences not that much depending on what you are comparing with.

I actually wants 2 copies of the recordings at different locations (one hidden for security purposes).

Yes, one is an NVR (and the other maybe a NAS)

I was also thinking of shutting down the NVR, let the NAS record and use a chrome terminal to view the live recordings if this is possible. The NAS will be hidden and the terminal will be in public (this will give me one hidden recording and one public view)

I actually wants 2 copies of the recordings at different locations (one hidden for security purposes).

Yes, one is an NVR (and the other maybe a NAS)

I was also thinking of shutting down the NVR, let the NAS record and use a chrome terminal to view the live recordings if this is possible. The NAS will be hidden and the terminal will be in public (this will give me one hidden recording and one public view)

NVR and NAS are designed differently.

Some NAS have addon software to allow it to function as a NVR. For those purpose, it'll be also called an NVR rather than NAS.

Without addon software, the cameras have to push recording to the NAS. (On the other hand, NVR PULL feeds from Camera for recording).

Most camera do it vie FTP. This means that the recording won't be managed. You'll have to identify recording based on filename rather than a purpose design interface to search for recording. Deleting of old recording will have to be done manually or vie scheduled scripts.

Some cameras allow the NAS folder to be mapped to the cameras and recording done on it. But most often such mapping results in dedicated partition on the NAS per IP camera/NVR. Multiple Devices streaming to the same NAS with multiple partition mapped on a single drive is not a good idea as it'll mean the hdd head is travelling all over the hdd platter, might reduce the lifespan of your hdd.

If you are using FTP, you can shut down the NVR and let the cameras their recording to the NAS. But you'll need to managed the recording on your own.

If you are using NVR, some NVR allows mapping of a network redundant drive. It'll allow for the NVR to mirror the recording on the NAS. However, the NVR will need to be operating for recording to take place. If you shut the NVR down, NAS will not work.

Why not just install 2 NVR ? You can connect the cameras to multiple NVR provided that the cameras support the number of simultaneous connection and also the network bandwidth is sufficient. In this case, each NVR will independently pull a separate feed from the cameras for their own recording, and each of the NVR can be shut off independently without affecting the others. Cameras will have to be connected to a independent network though. i.e. if you connect the cameras to 1 of the NVR POE ports, when you shut down that NVR, you'll be cutting off the power and network connection to the cameras and the other NVR will not be able to connect to the cameras as they are all disconnected and powered off.

Lots of good info. Will take some time to digest.

My IP cameras can also map directly to a drive.

Looks like 2 NVR may be the best option

Don't have POE since PTZ uses 50 watts with IR and are 150 to 300 feet away with local power