Hi,

Recently discovered this board (what a great resource!!!). I am going to be installing a geovision system soon for a client. I understand that geovision has problems with the via chipset. How can I quickly figure out if a pc is using a via chipset? The client already has the PC and I know it is a 2ghz system but I am not sure if it is intel or AMD. If it is AMD that is when it potentially is a via chipset? Anything I can look at in the hardware section of the system control panel?

Thanks

The fast way is to open the box and look on the board itself. If anything has VIA on it then it's a VIA chipset.

ets bet is to see if they still have the invoice, this will give you a mainboard model and then check with the manufactorer.. GV250 and GV600 will work with a Via the rest wont, I would say if it is AMD it would be VIA but it may be SIS Chipset

Look.

Go to control panel, click on system properties, and in the bottom right it's going to tell you if is either an AMD or a Intel cpu.

One more thing, since I'm into the "PC GAMINIG" quite heavily, you guys are also forgeting that there is one other chipset for AMD, NFORCE.

and for intel, VIA, SIS, ALI, also make chipset for INTEL CPU'S.

(don't remember if ALI is still around)

I think there was one more...cant remember the name it was supposed ot run cooler than all the others but it must not have made it far in the market, because for the life of me the chip escapes me!

Playing Far Cry right now, just bought new speakes.. game scares the willies out of me but is a hoot, one day I will grow up ...wont be today!!

Do you mean Transmeta? They make x86 compatable chips, but they aim for the low power, low heat market.

I would never use anything else besides Intel chipset, remember you get what you pay for, spend a little more and you will definitley eliminate unncessary support or returns of your systems. One have to remmeber, these systems of ours runs 24/7, wise to use server grade boards

*grins* If you need/want server grade HDD's use RAID. Being able to hot swap a new disk in to replace a failed drive and watching the RAID card rebuild the drive is pure joy. Plus having 1TB of storage is just cool.

oops, thought you meant SCSI raid...

SCSI drives are much more reliable, but you pay 6 times more.

SCSI is pricey, but it's advantages over IDE have gotten smaller and smaller. And with RAID, you can get something equal in stability, with less cost.

I agree.. we have a promise controller in every machine and IDE Raid can be Hot Swapable (I am pretty sure) so the advantages of SCSI are much more limited these days but they tend to be much more reliable drives, we can fit up to 1.5 Terrabytes in a single DVR but we prefer not to as it is easier for heat issues to creep in, even with adequate cooling, we often quote rack mounted ethernet storage box's that have their own back up softwrae and have built in multi level raid.. nothing is more impressive to a customer than showing up after a HDD has failed and the data is gone, then you insert a drive (brand new) and watch the datya come back.. they can not get their heads around it...

There is no more impressive bit of technowizardry then when the raid rebuilds itself. The downside is formating the darn things. I have half a TB in raid on my test machine and it took a good 4 hours to format it.

Software/Hardware raid combo? Now that would suck. Can I ask what he was using it for?

Software/Hardware raid combo? Now that would suck. Can I ask what he was using it for?

video autobiography?

For what, every moment of his life? Or is his mp3 collection just way, way out of hand?