cctvexpert

Vendoma vs. Geovision and the Who's Who in the Biz

I see what you mean by popular. It's kind of funny that well the joke always is if you call factories overseas when they know a company has a good product they all say they make the product for them. So I am sure if you call half the factories in Korea they will say they make product for Aventura. Like I said if it works, it works.

They are a software company and as the sales people their will tell you they will write to any board you want. They will make you any program you want not just for CCTV. So yes I am sure they buy from Comart, Chance-i, etc......

I know people who have been to Aventura's facilities and have told me that they don't have mass production of boards but fabricate short runs of product and then outsource mass production. They are an R & D company in U.S. If you buy their finished product which I have bought one and taken it apart before I sold it, all the components inside for the video are theirs, or it appears that way. Their name is all over everything and was done even on the PCB when fabricated. Again, who cares, it works.

Not sure what the point is to this whole string anyway. To tell the truth!

You all may be right if you want to split hairs. So all of you just kiss and makeup and heck find something productive to talk about.

What you should look to do as I see in other industries I have dealt with is invite a CTO to your forum to answer questions and educate the visitors, but you guys would scare them off in about 30 seconds by wanting to know where they bought the ingredients to make their dinner the night before and then go off into discussions whether it had MSG or not and where they bought the MSG!!

I disagree with you Never Ending, I think this was one of the best posts on the board, we ascertained quite a few points which are more than interesting and also ascertained the level of confusion in the market place and the need for buyers to beware, One of the best points however is that it matters not a ZOT so long as the product does work.

These are the points we learned and therefore this has been the best thread so far.

1/ Vendoma does not make the boards, they import them, they may have stated they do, but they do not, I would suggest that this is because they do Government work and the misconception is that you must be the manufactorer.

2/ It is looking like there are major changes done by Vendoma to the software, this is eveident because the lack of features I posted came directly from Chance-I, so if Vendoma has options available that Chance-I does not then I would suggest that either Vendoma has an advanced Beta that Chance-I does not want to mention yet or that Vendoma makes sofware changes and this is Vital to Know, especially as an importer. I am pretty confident Vendoma do not have the source code but they must have a SDK and a good programer, the fact that they use Comart as well suggests that they often get SDK kits and develop their own software.

Chance-I said they do not have PDA but Vendoma says they have so this is why I suspect this.

3/ Vendoma's high price is truley justified if they are doing development, this is invaluable to know!

4/ Vendoma stated they make the boards and write the source... this is incorrect so Vendoma should be watched carefully but who cares if their products work.

5/ We found out Technovision has these boards as well..valuable info and that Chance-I are aware of Magic Radar.

I think these are all valuable points to find out and very usefull tools, also I feel that most Manufactorers possibly already read this forum but do not post. This has been the best thread by far and interesting that none of the above information has come out without a fired up set of posts, without these posts we would never have gained this info, therefore I consider it not a Catfight but an awesome look into what is happening in the market.

After all Geo has had the lions share of the market because they are the fastest developer of new features, now that SDK's are being released the Manufactorer sells more boards that can run on many software options and increase the development staff without having to pay a cent, this is I HOPE how they will beat Geo.. because Geo does not like to share

Regards,

GC

1/ Vendoma may not make SOME boards and they make no bones about that as anyone will tell you call em and ask yourself.

2/ The abundance of features in the Vendoma product would give me cause to pause and wonder who wrote the software for whom (again, doesn't matter if it works)

3/ Vendoma high price agreed is justified although I don't think they are expensive in volume just in small quantities.

4/ Vendoma obviously does make boards and write source code, obviously not all as mentioned before but you can't do what they do with SDK toys. We ain't talkin just manipulating graphics and basic API calls, we are talking complete overhauls of functions.

5/ I tried FYI to run Chance-i software on Vendoma and does not work I get all kinds of error messages (which may simply be they locked the board and created a unique ID)

6/ Geo makes nothing I agree with others prior posts. You can talk to any of the manufacturers in Korea and they will all make no bones about it all Geo is - is a Publicly Traded Trading Company in Taiwan. They buy from Korea end of story. They do no development work themself. Again, this may be splitting hairs because doesn't matter who does it point is it gets done. All the major Japanese companies now outsource to China and India but its still their product. Outsourcing is a way of life from Call Centers to R & D. Not good or bad just let people do what they do best do the work. That is just being smart.

The point comes back to you may all be right. Aventura Technologies (Vendoma) does make boards but probably not many. They have h.263, MPEG2, h.264v2, h.264v10, Enhanced Wavelet, RTOS.

Vendoma is a software engineering company I guess. Actually trying to really understand what they are. As far as product for the government or military or whomever I would assume they make themself but who's to say. If it's true "mission critical" applications the gov don't simply go by someone's word and further they would be under a Non-Disclosure Agreement and couldn't even mention the likes of it. I know from contracts we have chased the gov makes you jump through hoops and demonstrate certain capabilities before they will even talk to you. This is when talking high security. Smaller menial stuff anyone can sell one here and there.

From what I have found Aventura writes to 6 different codec bases for video and a h.323, MGCP and SIP in the voice world and then go from there. So obviously we are talking a big company and not a programmer tucked away in a room with an SDK.

And as far as SDK's unless you have incredible SDK's which none of the Korean companies have other than changing basic GUI, there is no control to do much of anything. We have looked many times. Basic API calls. Again, you may all be talking about different products. If you have seen the Chance-i SDK you cannot do what Vendoma has done if we are all talking the same product.

I would like to discuss more what experiences anyone has had with the MPEG4. At ISC every other booth had brochures for MPEG4and there were hundreds of them. But half of them were full of sh**. When you went through the product and checked you can see it was the same ol MPEG2 or MPEG4 software compression. They are quoting out of China under $20 for MPEG4 boards with software compression on a 4-channel. I ordered one for the hell of it now waiting - should be interesting. I have yet to see a true stable MPEG4 board with hardware compression that works and has the features necessary to replace existing product. On top of this the prices are ridiculous right now.

Also, trying to understand and not getting straight answers from the board companies what is it that an embedded unit will not be able to do in the next year that a PC-based can. Any answers to this one. Because if nothing why would we want to deal with the misery of service calls when there is a plug and play alternative thats worry free or is there something I am missing.

6/ Geo makes nothing I agree with others prior posts. You can talk to any of the manufacturers in Korea and they will all make no bones about it all Geo is - is a Publicly Traded Trading Company in Taiwan. They buy from Korea end of story. They do no development work themself. Again, this may be splitting hairs because doesn't matter who does it point is it gets done. All the major Japanese companies now outsource to China and India but its still their product. Outsourcing is a way of life from Call Centers to R & D. Not good or bad just let people do what they do best do the work. That is just being smart.

Totally incorrect!!!!!!! I was in Taiwan and went to see Geovision, I met the programming team and the development team and helped to integrate some features.. you are very wrong.. not denying that they buy the boards, even if they order so many that they are indeed manufactured for them with their own stamps on them and their security dongle on the card.

The difference between standalone and PC are many and is a much longer discussion...

May I ask a pertinant question?

NEVERENDING are you CCTVEXPERT?

Secondly do you work for Vendoma?

Lastly, it has been pointed out many times now that it is very unlikely that Vendoma has the source code and if you have been a programmer for 25 years it would be stranget hat you would not realise that there are many changes that can be made without the source code not just basic ones, it is up to whomever wrote the source code in the first place.. I find it strange that Vendoma would use the same screen shots as Chance-I when they could make their own.

This from AVCONSULTING

and second that Aventura buys their DVR cards from Chance I Korea and then modifies the software with Chance I's approval

Aventura does not have access to the source code. He also said that Technovision is another OEM purchaser of Chance I cards. He also confirmed that Chance I makes their own cards in Korea.

I do nto think that Vendoma makes any boards at all.. they told me they make them all.. they told someone else they make a few and they told me they write for Chance-I but it seems the other way around.. maybe I am wrong... I will ask Chance-I!!

People, come on, seriously

WHO THE HELL CARES WHO MAKES WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

DOES IT WORK>? YES? THEN GOOD, BUY IT

IS IT GARBAGE>? YES? THEN DON'T BUY-IT!!!!

That's the bottom line.

Stop with this discussion that is never going to end.

People, come on, seriously

WHO THE HELL CARES WHO MAKES WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

DOES IT WORK>? YES? THEN GOOD, BUY IT

IS IT GARBAGE>? YES? THEN DON'T BUY-IT!!!!

That's the bottom line.

Stop with this discussion that is never going to end.

I've quite enjoyed the info i've gathered out of the discussion.

I dont know, but they must have given them a free system to use them as a live demo. None of my clients would ever agree to that for security reasons.

Now on the discussions here, If i were ever to buy/sell a PC card DVR, after looking at the ones discussed within, id have to say Id go with Chance-I as the GUI lookes better, and they have a SDK. Thats 'if' I were to ever buy a PC card DVR. I also definately would not use XP, id use 2000.

Rory

rory, if it could be done, you would use your "beloved" WinME OS for that.

darn right, actually id use it for myself, but for a client id have to have them use 2000 as I dont want to be going back to them all the time, plus id lock them out of everything besides the video software, ME doesnt have the security of 2000.

Thats if the new hardware supports 2000.

Edited by Guest

Not too bad, things are picking up little by little, could use a person that can sell to hi-end clients, I just really have no time, since my customer base is 90% spanish-only speaking, I'm the only one that speaks spanish, I have NO TIME to go out and get high end client, like the ones you have for 15K a job

Generally if something has a driver for XP, it will work in w2k. It's the same basic kernal, with a few minor changes, and most drivers don't care. The major differances in the two come at the bundled app, and shell layers.

I hear ya about the service issues of the customers tinkering. Policy editing works sometimes but is a pain in the a** others. The way to go is with the XP embedded but Vendoma won't cough up the info on that, which they use when they sell products and the licensing is crazy and you have to negotiate with MS on that. When Vendoma sells boards they recommend 2000 also.

I hear ya about the service issues of the customers tinkering. Policy editing works sometimes but is a pain in the a** others. The way to go is with the XP embedded but Vendoma won't cough up the info on that, which they use when they sell products and the licensing is crazy and you have to negotiate with MS on that. When Vendoma sells boards they recommend 2000 also.

even better, embedded nucleus but youd have to provide your own hardware and write your own software from the grounds up.

I have a customer that is using Intellex which has 16 video out, 16 alarm in and out and can't find anything equivalent - any ideas???

16 video out and 16 alarm in? Most embedded DVRs have that, the one i use is GE Kalatel, DVMRe-CT. it is actually 16 looping Video in, which means 16 out as well, in the 16 channel version, they come in 4, 10 and 16 channels.

Rory