ITZDSAY

Install help (Running wiring)

Looking to install my camera system myself since the price for a contractor seems outrageous to me, Anyways our home has spray foam insulation (above you in the attic) and is a sealed climate controlled environment. there is no access to the eves to run wire to where I want the cameras from the attic. some spots it looks there is a sheet of pile wood from the roof line to the joists then covered in foam and other spots where there is a tight fit due to the roof line looks like just a bunch of foam sprayed so the only thing I can really think to do is get a long drill bit and drill up from the soffit hoping I make it through the foam barrier. has anyone dealt with this before that might be able to shed some light for me? I will attach some pictures of what I am dealing with thank you for any help

Not my attic but gives an idea

287244_1.jpg

287244_2.jpg

You could drill from the inside to the soffit area on trick is to push a light chain with a string trough the hole then drill up from the soffit and use a coat hanger or such to hook the chain you may need to drill a little larger hole to be able to hook the chain from below good luck fishing depending on the type of soffit you also maybe able to use a magnet to grab the chain

You can always cut out a block of the spray in foam insulation in the rafter Bay where the wiring will go to the camera .then you may be able to see better what your up against .if your careful and the spray in insulation is fairly new ,you can put the block of insulation back in place and if need be ,seal it in place with some new foam in the can from home depot or lowes .or put conventional insulation where you removed the block of foam .worst case is you can have the spray foam company come back and reapply .

Another option is to purchase the fiberglass sticks that screw together .once you make the hole in the soffit ,the sticks are rigid enough and should push right thru the spray in foam .if the distance between the hole in the soffit and the inside of the foam is greater than 3 feet (which i doubt)you can just screw on another section of the fiberglass rods .I use these all the time when working in attics .I usually have 3 sticks attached together and I push the whole length of the stick into the soffit so I don't have to crawl all the way down to the soffit to grab the stick .

These fiberglass rods work great in drop ceilings and they glow in the dark .the have them at home depot ,lowes and probably where you bought your wiring supplies .

Good luck